Getting Ready

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

shouy

Getting Ready

Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:43 am

Well here i am packing my case, Cameras ect to leave the UK and to arrive in Boston on Friday,Ready to drive up to Vermont, This forum has been so helpful in planning my vacation , Routes to take updates on colours , I am so looking forward to my trip, So a big thank you to all who post on this forum for the info that you have provided me...... Just wanted to say that.....Thanks again... :)

pwt54

Re: Getting Ready

Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:24 am

The way the foliage season has been going it's hard to say where the best foliage will be next weekend, but southeast Vermont will be good. I don't think the area around Peacham will be too good by this weekend, but that's what I thought last weekend. :confused:

shouy

Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:48 am

Thats the good thing about having some time to explore, I can drive any distance to go the best places, So my laptop is coming with me to keep up to date using this forum...

ixl

Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:27 am

I think the whole area from Rutland to Bennington will be good this weekend. I will be driving the region tomorrow and will report back. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

dfpvt

Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:54 am

Consider taking Route 2 across Mass., all the way to Williamstown, where you can enter Vermont on Route 7.

2 often has good foliage late in the season, particularly around the CT River and on the Mohawk Trail into Williamstown. There you can drive up Mt. Greylock and get good views of the Berkshires, Taconics and Green Mountains, a great orientation to the region. Williamstown is a four hour drive from Logan Airport via Route 2.
(Check Mapquest for the link to Route 2 outside Boston.)

Route 7 goes north through Bennington - stop at the Blue Benn Diner for a slice of Americana - and up the Valley of Vermont, where the highway has outstanding vistas to the north.

The advantage of this approach is the long vistas early in the trip. Route 2 is as fast as the Mass Pike for getting to Vermont, but much less hectic, and it's only about an additional 45 minutes to go via Williamstown.

pwt54

Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:19 am

Foliage is peaking up here in the St. Albans area. Some of those roads through Fairfax, Fletcher, Fairfield and Sheldon should be great. I-89 is real colorful.

shouy

Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:38 am

How big is Vermont? As in how long will it take to drive south to north? Just to get a perspective on size, Thanks for the names of towns and road numbers. I have put them into my mapping software ready to navigate my way around....

pwt54

Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:38 pm

Using the Interstate roads I-89 and I-91 you can go from Massachusetts to Canada in about 3 hours. Using say route 100, end to end is over 4 hours normally, but with foliagefolks around it will take longer.

dfpvt

Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:48 am

South to North? If you're thinking about the return trip to Logan Airport, it's approximately 4 hours from Burlington to Boston, but allow for traffic once you hit Boston. Allow another 30-40 minutes to get to the airport from the outskirts of Boston.

N.B. on arrival from the UK, get $20 in change that includes some $1 bills and a few dollars in quarters. You will have to pay tolls to go through the tunnel from the airport and on the Mass Pike, the fastest way out of Boston. There are several toll booths in the first few miles, so leave the cash somewhere accessible.

shouy

Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:47 am

Top tip about the tolls dfpvt. Thank you... I will be returning to Boston on a Sunday the 31st so i hoping traffic will not be as bad as a weekday....Thanks again....