Another weather 'miss' this weekend :(

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bobbav

Another weather 'miss' this weekend :(

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am

So, we leave tomorrow for our annual Vermont weekend getaway.

We will be staying at The Arlington Inn, with visits to Weston for the village stores, Bennington on Saturday (Spa treat for my wife at Green Mountain Oasis), then the K1 gondola ride at Killington. Weather looks good for tomorrow's drive up, but Saturday looks like a washout.

Last year, we did the Green Mountain Railway trip to Ludlow/Okemo, but as you recall, it was rather warm and the color was not great due to the hot/dry summer.

At least the temperatures will cool down tonight to make lighting a fire more enjoyable and seasonable.

Been coming to Vermont in Summer and early October for almost 20 years, and I think I can count on 'two fingers' how many weekends were rainless :(
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

triz

Re: Another weather 'miss' this weekend :(

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:39 am

Hi Bobbav
It shouldn't be a washout on Saturday, it should only rain for an hour or two in the morning.

bobbav

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:46 am

:D Thanks! No emoji showing 'fingers crossed'!
Bob

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Bob: you should be fine! Just enjoy your lovely weekend. Your wife's spa day sounds divine and so does the thought of lighting a fire! I'll be up in Woodbury some time next weekend after exploring the NW hills several times next week. You will get outstanding color in Woodbury very soon as well. Have fun on your gondola ride! Let us know how your trip went. Do you have time to do the Kelly Stand Road to Grout Pond when in Bennington area? CT

loafer89

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pm

I feel the same about this weekends weather. It was originally supposed to be sunny on Saturday and now it's a 50% chance of rain. The NWS is even mentioning the chance for snow flurries above 2,000' on Saturday, quite a big difference from the near 90F weather yesterday afternoon. I'm done with the foliage in Vermont as the heavy rain stripped alot away in the places I like to visit. I'll chase it here in Connecticut for the next 2-3 weeks. I wish all who are up in Vermont this weekend, good foliage conditions. I was originally supposed to go fishing with my son on the Quabbin on Saturday, but may pass or attempt it on Sunday. I'm really not sure how good the fall foliage color is that way right now. It may need another week.

Thanks to all who posted about the great foliage conditions in the NEK last week. We witnessed some of the best foliage conditions in years.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:02 pm

loafer: Ed from the forum and I are going to the Quabbin Sunday for a tour/hike/photog visit. With the cooler/cold weather for Friday and Sunday, perhaps the color will come on overnight there. We both might be lucky!

bobbav

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi All,

Well, last weekend was consistent with what the Weather Service called for.

Friday afternoon brightened up nicely. Saturday was mostly rain on and off. It actually was SNOWING at the summit of Killington! All the trees were 'decorated' with white canopies.

And as to be expected, Sunday was glorious as we head home.

Color - in my opinion - appeared to be past peak. Lots of burnt oranges and still some green, but not to much of the reds and yellows.

Happy rest of Fall to All!
Bob

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:38 am

Happy Fall to you Bob! Thanks for popping in here. If you are able, let me know how the colors develop in the Woodbury area. We are just starting to see really nice colors in northern CT but still appears to be a green scene! CT