My Trip in South Vermont and Berkshire Oct 12-14

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

triz

My Trip in South Vermont and Berkshire Oct 12-14

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 am

Hey all!
My trip is approaching. My wife and I will be leaving from Philly on Friday after lunch and plan to be in Bennington, where our lodge is, by dinner.
We will spend two full days in New England.
Ideally one day in VT and one in Berkshire, but if Berkshire is still green we may stick with VT.
Following CTYanky indications, I will definitely spend the first day between Manchester (Route 7A), Dorset, and then route 30 to Jamaica, Townshend and Newfane.

Any suggestion on backroads, ponds, overlooks etc.. in the area?
Also, any particularly recommended place to eat (including breakfast)? :D

I have spoken over the phone with people in Manchester today, and told me the foliage is as good as it can get right now, and hopefully tomorrow's rain won't be too drastic in term of leaf-drop.

Has anyone been on Mount Greylock this week?

Thanks!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: My Trip in South Vermont and Berkshire Oct 12-14

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:09 pm

Triz! Sorry for the late reply, I've been going like mad checking into reality as I just got back from VT! :) Anyways, my advice to you, stay in southern VT vs Berkshires! I drove route 7 all the way into the Berkshires instead of the Mohawk Trail to get a taste of what is to come for my upcoming road trips. Yesterday I drove route 7 into the Berkshires to Tanglewood by way of 183 (gorgeous drive) but the mountains were early. I took 7 right into Canaan, CT and it was just approaching early stages! (Good for me, not you). I should mention, things can change overnight but it is 84 here :shock: and it will slow up the process even more.

On route 30, that should be peak now in the higher elevations. Stop at Townshend Lake and Townshend Dam. If you have time, take French Hollow Road off 30. Manchester was looking good when I left, so I am confident whomever you spoke with, knows the color and go with it! My innkeeper in Manchester says it will happen overnight and when I left, it was about 75% along.

Dorset! Follow this loop off 30. Dorset Hollow Road to Upper Hollow Road to Lower Hollow Road! Gorgeous!!!! There is a barn and red cupola barn on the left as you are leaving Lower Hollow Road (for sale, 2 1/2 mil) and you'll see why. This a grand photo op spot with the hills behind the red barn peaking! At the end of Lower Hollow Road, take Kirby Hollow Road! There is a horse farm on the right with hills in color behind the winding fence. If you are lucky, there will be a black and white spotted horse there! I would love to live in this area! We took Kirby Hollow Road for the first time on Monday and it will not disappoint! It takes you back to 30. Take the Danby Hill Road all the way up to Colvin Hill Road. Drive Colvin Hill Road south to north for grand long views at the summit.

In the Equinox Preserve, walk in to Equinox Pond! It should be peaking now. I'll send you the link later. We hiked in (not long) and before we did the summit hike (moderate) the pond was beautiful last year.

Drive to the top of Mt. Tabor IF the summit is clear. Drive to the top of Mt. Equinox for long views that rival Jay Peak if the summit is clear as well. Not sure how the color will be but worth a trip for once in your travels if nothing else!

Mt. Greylock, probably not peak, but if you are in the area, do it on your way home! The rangers are totally awesome and if you call the ranger station you will get an idea if the summit is clear or how the colors are. They won't steer you wrong! It's unbelievable at the top and folks bring picnics and bask in its glory.

More later! :P I have more to share except I need to look at my Jimapco! CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:11 pm

PS Make reservations at the Publyk house for dinner Friday night in Bennington. They may have the Bennington Monument lit up and ask for the new room with the huge glass windows to view the monument from your table! Charles took me there two weekends ago, the food is great!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 pm

PS oops! Go to "Up For Breakfast" EARLY! Best breakfast in town.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:20 pm

oh, and you still might be in luck for south central Vermont for outstanding color if the rain does not do too much to the leaves. Maybe others will chime in for the next few days before you head up! So much to do and see, it is mind boggling! :wink:

Stop at the Townshend Pumpkin Festival on the green Saturday! Photo ops galore and ALL local vendors. I loved being there last year. I was going to come up Saturday to the festival but couldn't change my stable obligations so may come Sunday to SO VT. Enjoy! Ask away! :D

triz

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:27 pm

THANK YOU!!!

You are the best CTyanky!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:26 pm

You're welcome Triz, thanks for the kind words!

Add Nichols Road to your Dorset trip. Upon speaking to a local walking the town green (a must drive around, general store, stately restored historic district) they told me to take it last year for elevation views. We didn't have time so this is not my "must see", but I do rely on the locals' recommendations. Travel west on the town green, it is about two streets away and go south on it. Enjoy! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Triz: don't mix up Danby Hill Road with Danby Mountain Road. Same area, two different roads! Some construction around the bottom of Danby Hill Road on the culverts, hopefully it will be done by this weekend. We took some really narrow dirt roads around Tinmouth that were amazing that led to Tinmouth Pond Road to Tinmouth Pond. Let me know if you need more routes. :wink:

If you are in Dorset Sunday, go to the Dorset Farmers Market, they will be inside now instead of on the road near the general store. They are only open on Sundays but it is totally worth a visit to the local vendors. CT

https://www.dorsetfarmersmarket.com/

triz

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks for the additional info!

triz

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Here I am, back at work in Philly. Our trip was definitely too short and I miss New England already (Go Eagles though :) )!
We spent 36 hours in Vermont, nearly half of them under a washout on Saturday. Next we drove on top of top of Mount Grelyock, then Mohawk trail up to bridge of Flowers, and then 112 down to Northampton.

Despite the rain, in VT we found an overall much better situation than last year. The only region that is really struggling to get color is the SE quadrant. Leaf-drop was variable, depending on the areas.
On the other side of the Green Mts, in the SW, we found bright oranges pretty much everywhere on rout 7 and 7A from Bennington to Manchester, and then on route 30 on the Green Mts from Manchester up to Bromley.

Then the color abruptly ended as soon as we got on the East/South-East side of the Green Mts. Unsurprisingly, the temperature was almost 10 F higher in Townshend compared to Manchester and Bennington.
Jamaica, Townshend, Newfane looked mostly dull, green or brown. Some spotty orange here and there. It seems like this side was much more affected by the unseasonable heat of last week.
I am afraid that this regions won't get any foliage (like last year): leaves will just fall at some point.
We still enjoyed taking some pics at the Scott Bridge near Townshend. The hill in front of the bridge had some orange colors, unfortunately not bright but I think it was still nice.
From there, in the afternoon we drove to Rutland: once we got there, I saw a very promising hill that was colorful: I took a backroad that was pointing in that direction (Notch Road). This road was spectacular, trees were all reds and oranges up to the top. It was definitely one of the highlights of the trip!
In the evening we had a great, delicious dinner at the Publyk House in Bennington. Thanks CTYanky for the suggestion!

The next morning was the major highlight of the trip: the night had been frosty, and thanks to this weather the hills around Bennington that the previous day were still mostly green turned to a very bright orange altogether.
The morning light did the rest. I have read many times of how the foliage can be sudden and quick, and I finally witnessed it with my eyes. It was like if someone turned on a click.
In front of our hotel there was a small pond, and at 7 am the mist was rising and combined with the colors of the surrounding hills it was spectacular.
We then drove to downtown Bennington for Breakfast: all the trees in town were so colorful and bright!
Too bad we had too leave already to head to MA and then Philly.
Interestingly enough, while Bennington was "on fire", just a few miles south the area around Williamstown MA was totally green. It seemed summer there. And in fact the view from Mount Greylock was definitely early, even if still very impressive.
On the Mohawk there was very nice color between North Adams and Florida: again the leaf-drop was very variable depending on the areas.
Then we got to Shelburne Falls, where we took pics of the amazing Bridge of Flowers (Thanks again CTYanky!).

From there, route 112 to Northampton was again really beautiful: the colors, the landscape, we really enjoyed it!

Thanks everyone in this forum for the great advice! This is a fantastic resource!

Here are a few pictures.

BONDVILLE, GREEN MTS

VIEW FROM SCOTT BRIDGE, NEAR TOWNSHEND

NOTCH ROAD, RUTLAND

TOWNSHEND DAM

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:34 pm

hi triz! Excellent report and I loved your Notch Road shot. I am very glad you were able to take a couple of my recommendations for the Publyk House and Bridge of Flowers. Did you eat at the Blue Benn Diner for breakfast in Bennington? Great place! I agree with you that the views from Mt. Greylock are impressive, I would have thought there would be color. I'm going to check with the rangers before we go this weekend to see if the cold has hastened the foliage progression. Thanks for all your posts and updates on the forum, it is nice to read them! CT

triz

Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks CT!

No we didn't get to that diner, we went to the Sunny Side Diner, and it was good as well!

vandewme13

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:01 am

Beautiful pictures! Now I’m kicking myself for not going to Bennington yesterday :) We went up to Rutland. Still very nice- not super bright but maybe when we drive up today. Heading north to a Middlebury region for a few days. Safe travels everyone!

triz

Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Thanks Wander, I am sure you'll find great colors for the rest of your trip!

triz

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm

In the report of my trip I forgot to mention the Equinox pond.
We found it probably 2 or 3 days past peak, and the light was definitely not the best for good pictures. And it was pouring.
But I will still have great memories of this beautiful pond.
Last edited by triz on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.