Woodstock/Pomfret

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

minnesotaman

Woodstock/Pomfret

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Color in this area is yellow to orange with some green still mixed in. Some brighter colors on the back roads in Pomfret and Barnard, some reds even, which are not common here in any year. Try Allen Hill Rd. in Pomfret/Barnard. Further ripening of color here may be interrupted by leaf drop, which has started sooner than usual. Some bare branches are showing. The rain forecast for Thursday may accelerate the leaf drop, so if you intend to photograph in this area, best to do so before Thursday if possible.

edmcguirk

Re: Woodstock/Pomfret

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 pm

minnesotaman wrote: Further ripening of color here may be interrupted by leaf drop, which has started sooner than usual. Some bare branches are showing. The rain forecast for Thursday may accelerate the leaf drop, so if you intend to photograph in this area, best to do so before Thursday if possible.
minnesotaman, I saw the same thing today, lots of quick leaf drop and some bare trees. The wind and rain have been relentless. The NEK is essentially finished as of today, other than a few pockets near the river. I leave for home on Wednesday morning, on Tuesday I'll check out areas south of St. J.

triz

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 pm

I hope the rain/wind will spare some trees in South Vermont and Berkshire where I will be this coming weekend...

kcflanders

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:42 pm

I arrive Wed afternoon, driving up from Hartford. I had just about decided to skip Jenne Farm, Cloudland Rd, Allen Hill as being too early. I intended to try Strafford, Tunbridge, Chelsea on the way to my house in Barnet. Now I'm not so sure. I'm only in Vermont for a few days, and unfortunately mainly to insulate the basement. Anyone check those areas, or Waits River and East Corinth?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:56 pm

KC, I had no idea you had a house here! Was this a recent purchase? For some reason, I thought you lived in Florida. At least you may have some sunshine and blue skies! Anyways, enjoy your time here even though the basement is occupying your time. CT

kcflanders

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:43 pm

ctyanky wrote:KC, I had no idea you had a house here! Was this a recent purchase? For some reason, I thought you lived in Florida. At least you may have some sunshine and blue skies! Anyways, enjoy your time here even though the basement is occupying your time. CT
No, I'm flying from Florida to Bradley airport, then driving up.

MinnieB

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:57 am

I drove through Waits River and East Corinth yesterday on Rt. 25. It was raining a bit, but still some decent color there.