The Queen of Rt. 100

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

edmcguirk

The Queen of Rt. 100

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Here she is, the Queen of Vermont's Rt. 100. And no, I don't mean ctyanky...

Moss Glen Falls in Granville is the Queen of Rt. 100, and she was all decked out in her robes of gold today (10/7). With a lot of rain this morning I drove to Moss Glen, Warren Falls, and Honey Hollow Falls. The rain really made the falls look good. The area around Warren and Waitsfield was pretty close to peak today. Groton State forest and the immediate vicinity around Danville and St. J was at peak as well. There was a lot of wind and leaf drop today.
Attachments
Moss Glen Falls.jpg

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: The Queen of Rt. 100

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Hello Ed, thanks for clarifying your analogy. :mrgreen:

When I was at Moss Glenn Falls on Thursday, it was also gorgeous, just like your beautiful photo. Thank you for sharing! Where is Honey Hollow Falls?

Did you get to hike to Owls Head? I think peak is coming there by now or in a couple of days at the summit view.

Glad you are having such stellar experiences! You've been here about as long as I have and I still have a couple of days. Enjoy!

edmcguirk

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:12 pm

ctyanky wrote:Hello Ed, thanks for clarifying your analogy. :mrgreen: When I was at Moss Glenn Falls on Thursday, it was also gorgeous, just like your beautiful photo. Thank you for sharing! Where is Honey Hollow Falls?

Did you get to hike to Owls Head? I think peak is coming there by now or in a couple of days at the summit view.

Glad you are having such stellar experiences! You've been here about as long as I have and I still have a couple of days. Enjoy!
ctyanky - I went to Groton SF / Owls Head today, but with the rain and clouds I decided to try it on Tuesday afternoon, when it supposed to finally be sunny again. Honey Hollow Falls is in Jonesville off River Road. It is a very pretty waterfall, but not for those with a fear of heights, the best viewpoints require getting close to steep drop-offs.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:27 pm

If the weather conditions are ok tomorrow, I may be hiking Lye Brook Falls. However, I just read this recent review and it seems a bit daunting!

http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/vt- ... falls.html

"We made this hike yesterday. It took us 1.5 hours in and only 1.0 out. The hike into the falls is almost entirely up-elevation and we had to ford one rather large stream which was challenging (but fun!) due to recent heavy rainfall. The rainfall also paid big dividends at the falls which is the ultimate reward for your trip in. I've often seen this trail referred to as "moderate" in difficulty but there are small sections that certainly border on difficult. Be sure to wear water-proof over-the-ankle boots. If you're in good shape and properly shoe'd you will love this trail. The road into the parking area is horrible and is my only large criticism. Very shameful for a National Park."

standupphotog

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:44 pm

Great shot of the Falls, Ed! We were there around 4 this afternoon... I shoulda stood further back & to the left as it looks like you did.

Color was great from Stockbridge up to Waitsfield.

edmcguirk

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:54 am

standupphotog wrote:Great shot of the Falls, Ed! We were there around 4 this afternoon... I shoulda stood further back & to the left as it looks like you did.

Color was great from Stockbridge up to Waitsfield.
Standup, I shot Moss Glen from across the far side of the highway, using a telephoto lens. At 8:00 am this was possible because there was no traffic, but at 4:00 pm when you were there, you probably would have been run over by cars.

standupphotog

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:30 am

edmcguirk wrote:Standup, I shot Moss Glen from across the far side of the highway, using a telephoto lens. At 8:00 am this was possible because there was no traffic, but at 4:00 pm when you were there, you probably would have been run over by cars.
Yeah, Mrs. Ari doesn't want that... just yet. :wink:

From_the_NEK

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Beautiful shot Ed.
I've driven by those falls so many times but never stopped for a photo. One of these days I won't be in such a rush :)