Which weekend for Woodstock to Waitsfield?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

PhotoOp

Which weekend for Woodstock to Waitsfield?

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi everyone. We're trying to decide which of the two weekends we should hit Central VT. This coming weekend 10/5-10/7 or the next 10/12-10/14.
Planning on doing the Kaplan spots and Richards/Smith locations from Jenne Farm up to Waitsfield.

Thank you,
Jack

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Which weekend for Woodstock to Waitsfield?

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi Jack, welcome back to the forum! Driving with Phil today he said you'll have to "toss the coin". This weekend is better for Waitsfield and next weekend better for Woodstock.

I looked at WCAX weather forecast and they said that the northeast and north central Vermont will peak this weekend. I totally rely on WCAX for my weather forecasting...…………..

"Foliage will be at its peak this weekend away from the Champlain Valley and CT River Valley, especially in our north-central and northeastern areas."

Can you come up both weekends? If not, pick this weekend. I'm in the MRV and it is close to peak. This way you can enjoy the valley and also head to the NEK. Do you have lodging?

Woodstock would however, be good for the following weekend. Minnesotaman may chime in later. Let me know what your thoughts are! CT

minnesotaman

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:01 pm

jack

i have not been down to jenne this year--most years this would be too early so i have not bothered yet. in woodstock itself, and out on cloudland, north of woodstock, it is yellow and green still. more yellows have come in during the last day or two, but it has a way to go. jenne and south woodstock are likely to be about the same.

my guess is that woodstock will probably be best about a week from now. cold weather could hasten this, but apparently cold weather is not in the near term forecast.

waitsfield is usually earlier, often by a week. so, you have a bit of a dilemma. for woodstock, if i had to pick oct 6 or oct 13 i probably would pick oct 13, even though waiting longer risks leaf drop due to wind or rain.

PhotoOp

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Thank you both for the feedback. Haha, just what I expected. I may end up flipping a coin.
Will probably go this weekend and focus on North Central and NEK.

pwt54

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:35 am

Foliage north of route US 302 and east of route 100 should be great this weekend. The weather for Friday and Saturday will also be good. Sunday not so good. You would be taking a chance on next weekend's weather.

PhotoOp

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks again for the info. Looking forward to this weekend