Fall trip Planning and best bets

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bid

Fall trip Planning and best bets

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 pm

I am planning for my first trip to VT and NH.

I have reservations in Lincoln (for White Mountains) from 9th thru 11th Oct. Is this a safe bet t see colors ? I will be in the area for 5 days starting the 7th of Oct. How should I plan for rest of my dates?
I am thinking of Green Mountains for 7th and 8th. Please guide on how to plan these 2 days and not to miss places?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Fall trip Planning and best bets

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:11 am

Hello bid and welcome to the foliage forum! For your Vermont dates of the 7th and 8th of October, I would suggest the Mad River Valley, specifically Waitsfield/Warren. I would highly suggest getting lodging as soon as possible; this is Columbus Day Weekend, the busiest foliage weekend in Vermont. You might find an open day here or there at some inns or the ski resorts. Try Airbandb for best bets on lodging. I would get on it now.

Going forward, there is so much to do around Waitsfield as this has been my mainstay for years. You can drive the Middlebury Gap (route 125), the Appalachian Gap (route 17) which traverse the Green Mountains west to east and vice versa. There is a beautiful place to stop called Blueberry Lake in Warren which might have great color at this time. Lots of fairs and festivals going on this weekend and you can take a chair lift ride up into the mountains to see the foliage from above at Mad River Glen just off the Appalachian Gap ride. You can drive up to Stowe (albeit crowded) and up Smugglers Notch (route 108). There is a lovely road in Waitsfield called the "Common Road" which offers great long views of the Mad River Valley. As more comes to mind, I will add and I'm sure others may chime in. Waitsfield has a lot of eateries as well. Just drive around the back roads (not paved) around the area and you will be rewarded!

Basically, let us know what you like to do? Hike? Dine? Photography? Again, welcome to the forum and ask away! CT

bid

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:30 am

Thanks a lot CT.

Your reply was so helpful. Yes, I managed to get a reservation at Warren Lodge.

We are not much into hiking but a lot into photography - serious photography :) So, if some one can give some 'not-to-miss' secret location for fall colors that would be great.
So, I have 7-8th at Manchester, 8-9th at Warren and 9th-11th at White Mountains. Now, need to plan the details, routes and the viewpoints.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:24 am

Hi bid: seeing that you are in Warren just one evening, I think I have given you a lot of routes and locations above (unless someone else suggests otherwise) to fill an entire day and a half. But I have some excellent ideas for Manchester as I am also there on Columbus Day Weekend. It's become one of my favorite places to explore and drive around! First, I would highly recommend driving to the top of Mt. Equinox on the Skyline Drive for some of the most outstanding 360 degree long views in the state! It is quite a long and windy drive up to the summit and the viewing center is rather new and simply divine. Give yourself a good hour to soak in the beauty surrounding you. There are photo ops galore up there! Once you arrive, you will know what I mean. It is a gift to your soul. There is a small hiking trail to an overlook of Manchester Village that is not difficult and quite beautiful. It is a $20 charge per car. There are pullouts on the way down to ease the pain on your brakes. Be mindful of this, and do stop and let the brakes rest.

http://equinoxmountain.com/skylinedrive_index.php

http://equinoxmountain.com/visitors_center_index.php

PS Make sure you check the weather and do this excursion on a CLEAR day for best viewing results for the long views. However, it is just beautiful otherwise. You can also call the check in point at the base for information on weather at the summit.

I'll add another post to your trip shortly as soon as I have my coffee! :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:46 am

Hello again bid: I have a loop for you (circumventing the Green Mountains, southern portion) that may offer great photography and awesome drives through some of Vermont's loveliest quintessential towns and villages! First of all, the Manchester corridor (route 7 north) is beautiful! Drive north on route 7 up through Danby (stop at Emerald Lake State Park and drive the loop) and you will be paralleled by amazing mountains on both sides that should offer great color at the date you are traveling. Mt. Tabor is totally amazing (on your right heading north). When you get to Wallingford take route 140 east to route 155 (I think it is a south indication) to route 100 south to Weston. Continue south to Londonderry where you will pick up route 11 west back to Manchester, stopping in the adorable village of Peru!!! There is a great place to have a bite to eat (JJ Hapgood General Store and Eatery, link below). You should watch for the signs off of route 11 because it is a bit hidden. Not to be missed! Also stop at Bromley Mountain and see if you can take a lift ride up the mountain for amazing views! Head back to Manchester and take route 30 west to Dorset to the quarry and the village of Dorset. If you are still interested, I have some awesome back roads in Dorset to recommend, but you are already on quite a long day. I would leave EARLY for this loop. I know you will be rewarded!

http://jjhapgood.com/

Texas_Aggie

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:38 am

ctyanky wrote:It is a $20 charge per car.
am i reading their website correctly? it appears that $20 covers the vehicle and driver, and it's an additional $5 per passenger over age 10. That seems a bit excessive.

http://equinoxmountain.com/skylinedrive_tollroad.php

bid

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks a lot everyone. All great inputs. I am compiling my plan with all these inputs.

Question - Route 100 seems to be very famous. Is there a not to miss section of the Hwy which I must include in my itinerary?

For those who are interested in photography, here is the link/URL to my photos,

https://500px.com/bidwanbaruah

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:33 pm

bid: Loved your photos as well and the one Carol mentioned caught my eye first off!

As far as route 100, my favorite part of this scenic (and iconic) road is from Warren to Hancock (north to south). It is beautiful! The Granville Gulf (which is about in the middle I think) is the most enchanting part of this section. You can stop at Moss Glen Falls and hopefully the falls will be flowing and provide a nice stop for your photography! There is always a gentleman there selling his maple syrup. It comes up fast and during the height of the season, parking is at a premium. I wish people would slow down here! Tourists get so excited they are crossing the road without caution. You can walk a small wooden path right in front of the falls.

When you get to Hancock, turn right (west) on 125 (Middlebury Gap). Just down a piece on the right is Texas Falls. A must stop!

I can go on and on (I can be overly prolific) so ask away please for more advice, directions, etc. etc. etc.!!!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Texas aggie: Responding to your comment on the cost of the trip up to Mt. Equinox:

I suppose it is quite expensive. I've done it three times only with a driver and passenger so the cost was indeed $25. My personal thought on this goes like this. When I get to the summit and feel like I am on top of the world there, and then go inside the most beautiful prayer chapel with windows opening up to the surrounding mountains..... well, the sense of serenity, solitude and utmost gratitude for being in such a special place is worth every penny. Every time I am in the chapel (and folks are kind enough to let one person in at a time as it is small) I count my blessings. It is a place of reflection. And that's not to mention the long views in all directions!

You won't regret paying the price of entry. Remember to go on a clear day and check the weather or call them at the kiosk. Parking is excellent at the top and bottom.

From_the_NEK

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:11 pm

Great photos in 500px Bid! I just followed you on there.
I've been having a lot of luck with Peacham for the first weekend of October as well. It is a great morning and late afternoon spot. Lots of barns and rolling hills covered in maples.

bid

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my photos. I did buy Andy & Carol's book - 2nd edition - and its great! I am still going through it. I am excited to capture some gems and share with you all!

bid

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:10 pm

Couple of questions,

1. Does anybody know location of this photo?
https://500px.com/photo/214625401/wonde ... y-tony-shi
2. Also, What are the best locations for early morning photos in Manchester, Lincoln and Warren?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:01 am

bid: Drive up Plunkton Road to Fuller Hill Road and turn left. The views at the top of Fuller Hill Road are like being on top of the world. The long views are outstanding! Fuller Hill will take you back to Warren. Don't forget to stop at Blueberry Lake (afternoon shot). It is an amazing place for photography! I'll be taking these roads myself first week of October when I am staying in Warren.

You'll be in the area and it is not to be missed! CT

bid

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks again.
Given the current progress of the colors - do you guys think there would be peak colors in White Mountains/Mt Washington 9th thru 11th or is it a better idea to go to Lake Willoughby instead?
If Lake Willoughby has better colors - apart from 5A what are the other roads / viewpoints I should plan for?

Andy

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm

There is a sticky thread at the top of the forum regarding the eBook. There are links in one of the posts a few posts down, to Amazon, Apple and Barnes & Noble
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .