Vermont (Stowe) and NH (White Mt and Suger hill) 5th Oct OR 13th Oct?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

mgdolly86

Vermont (Stowe) and NH (White Mt and Suger hill) 5th Oct OR 13th Oct?

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 pm

I have read the forum since last couple of years and it is really very helpful. We are planning to take our parents for first time to Vermont and NH for fall trip. We are thinking to visit during 5th-8th Oct (Columbus Day weekend) but with still so much green debating to push the trip by 1 week - 13th Oct weekend. Do you think it would be wise or we are expecting goof colors by 5th Oct?

We understand it will be busy weekend but would like to show best colors to parents this year!

Thanks,
Malika

pwt54

Re: Vermont (Stowe) and NH (White Mt and Suger hill) 5th Oct OR 13th Oct?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:46 am

No, don't change your date. I live near Stowe and the colors are starting now. Foliage season is running normal. When someone mentions Sugar Hill, NH I start dreaming about Polly's Pancake Parlor. :D

Utah Baker

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:15 am

Did someone say Polly’s Pankcakes!!!!!!Drool, I get so jealous when my daughter sends me pics of the fam celebrating Christmas, birthdays and even back to school at Polly’s. Besides the year round beauty of Sugar Hill............ahhh, I can smell it,be there soon!

Oh, and I would not change your dates! :D

wentworth

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:48 pm

mgdolly86 wrote:I have read the forum since last couple of years and it is really very helpful. We are planning to take our parents for first time to Vermont and NH for fall trip. We are thinking to visit during 5th-8th Oct (Columbus Day weekend) but with still so much green debating to push the trip by 1 week - 13th Oct weekend. Do you think it would be wise or we are expecting goof colors by 5th Oct?

We understand it will be busy weekend but would like to show best colors to parents this year!

Thanks,
Malika
I would not change it from the 5th to the 13th--Even if the Fall colors are slightly later than normal with the above normal temps, its always better to be too early than too late

mgdolly86

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:26 am

@wentworth, @Utah Baker and @pwt54 - Thanks you for your responses... now i am more positive :) Will wait for this weekend report on foliage then to see where we are headed. Poly's was the first place we had breakfast when we visited for fall in 2014.. It is definitely in my list again :)

Can you help me with few routes we should take - our first night stay (Friday) would be near Woodstock - we then plan to scout Vermont (Stowe and Groton) on Saturday - stay Sat night near Sugerhill - Sunday we scout SH and Mt Washigton - Monday we are free.....

Please suggest few must visit routes, must stop spots and cover bridges, farms on the routes we are stop for photos?

Thanks again for all your inputs.

pwt54

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:01 am

I'm assuming you are staying in Woodstock, VT and not Woodstock, NH. First I would drive route US 4 west to route 100 North in Mendon, VT. ( NOT route 100 south in Bridgewater, VT.)
Drive route 100 north to Warren, VT. Look for Main Street on the right side. Drive Main St. until you see a covered bridge on the left. Continue driving Main St. through Warren Village until you hit route 100 north again.
Drive to Waitsfield Village and look for a street on the right, just before the library. There is a covered bridge on that street. Back to route 100 north. Now you have to decide what to do next. If you have a reservation near Sugar Hill, it will take about 3 hours to get there. When someone uses the word "photo" in their post, I usually add 2 hours to the trip.
I think I'll wait for your reply before I continue.

wentworth

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:02 pm

pwt54 wrote:No, don't change your date. I live near Stowe and the colors are starting now. Foliage season is running normal. When someone mentions Sugar Hill, NH I start dreaming about Polly's Pancake Parlor. :D
How is foliage season 'running normal'? From 1997 to 2014, the NEK was at peak by Sept 21st, that's just 2 days from now, and its primarily green everywhere in Vermont, even Northern Maine--Killington at this time historically would have lots of color, we've seen it hit peak quite a bit by Sept 22nd or Sept 23rd buts its still green there also this year--It may be 'normal' counting the last few years, but it certainly isn't historically normal--Its actually historically late because of higher temps from Global Warming that started in 2015