Early Signs of Fall..........

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Early Signs of Fall..........

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:40 pm

Hello friends! With all the rain we have been receiving over the last few weeks, the trees are looking mighty fine! Lush and healthy with dense canopies. I see no leaf drop due to the heat.

Here in northern CT there are signs of the coming fall. Many trees are losing their bright green color and leaves are starting to dull. Here and there, some branches are showing more loss of chlorophyll than others, and even a slight hint of red in places. This is the normal pattern in early August, but I must say, the trees are not stressed even with the heat we have been suffering with in the northeast. Also, with daylight hours shortening, this also adds to signs of the approaching autumn season.

If you keep your eyes peeled upwards you will soon start to see these changes appearing almost overnight. Coming home from work today, I saw a full branch in early red color. I just couldn't help but smile. It really put a nice touch to the end of the work week! :)
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

wentworth

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 am

Heat will be over today, and normal temperatures are expected to prevail in Vermont for the rest of the month

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:48 pm

We are roasting here in New England. It's a yucky week for weather. Lots of 90's and killer humidity. I hate to rush the summer away but this is not pleasant! I'm ready for a turtleneck, down vest and jeans and of course, my LLBEAN boots! I just bought a red and black checked cap from them and can't wait to wear it! I saw it everywhere during sugaring season in Vermont, Mass and CT and it sang to me and so it is mine! :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:22 am

We are having drenching rains one after another here in New England and some places look like a jungle in my area! Couldn't be happier! The trees are loving this and I don't recall the forests looking this healthy especially in July and August. So despite the heat, and if the rains keep up a bit longer, we look to be in good shape for foliage season. Just need that cool weather in September with the frosts! Fingers crossed! 8)

aggiedude

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:38 am

Hey guys, newbie to the forum and "Howdy" from hotter than hell Texas......Me and the wife are planning on coming up to the Stowe/Morristown areas in mid September and wondering if we might have screwed up as far as seeing the foliage changes....Her 2 main reasons for wanting to come up there are for leaves changing and covered bridges and if we don't get those I'm in trouble, so any input/advice/opinions on mid September would be appreciated.........It'll be her 1st trip to the northeast and my 2nd ( Fort Devens Mass in 1986 for military if that counts ) so we're truly excited.....So sorry for bothering y'all but just praying middle of Sept might be ok but if we need to change we can try..And I know it's no science or exact dates BUT kinda sounded like y'alls temps are just now starting to hit normal for you and that's great....Thanx for any and all replies and stuff and I'm gonna be on the road for the next 5 or 6 hrs so can't reply but very much appreciated...God bless ya !! Marty :?: :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Aggie and welcome to our foliage forum! Great to see you here and it has been hot here too! I used to live in Austin and I know what the summers are like in Texas!

To move into your question. Is there ANY chance of pushing the dates further out? You might see early color in the far reaches of the northern parts of Vermont/NH at mid September. Can you try to add 10 days later to the trip if not already booked by air? If not, your wife will still be blessed with covered bridges but more foliage color for her if you could change the times you are speaking of. Can you come the end of the third week of September into the last week? Also, how long were you planning on staying?

Moreover, it would be important to get these dates squared away ASAP so you can get your lodging secured. Weekends are considered prime for foliage season and many places require a two - three day stay. But lately I've been looking at Air B&B's and you should try there. Tons of places to check out.

What say you on changing the dates? Don't want you to be in trouble!!! :wink:

We should be cooling down a bit by Labor Day. But one never knows. Keep us posted and ask away so your trip is awesome!!!

PS I've been to Fort Devens several times for the commissary. Beautiful country and back roads around there. Used to live in between Concord and Lexington for many years! There was some amazing ice cream place nearby but the name escapes me!

ctyanky

aggiedude

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Thanx for the welcome ctyanky and due to some other jaunt my wife has to Ohio with her sisters in late Sept- early Oct we're kinda set on the dates...I was going to try and at least get like the 16th-22 but then I wud lose one of the 2 places I was staying at and have to start from scratch, and not sure if 4 dadgum days would make that big of a difference ya know...So I guess we're gonna be in store for whatever the Good Lord has in store for us for these days and get back home like on the 20th....We will have a rental car so might drive up into Canada if we have to and see if anything's kicked in there on one of these 6 days...We've got no ""plans"" except to relax, drive through bridges, and look for foliage changes, so it's not like life isn't gonna be great to us anyhow right ??? And our passports were just renewed and all squared away so that's good, so all in all I guess (( besides the dates maybe week or so early )) we're pretty blessed......The reservations at Airbnb are done and just gotta get the flight and car squared away 100% and we're good....And happy for you you're not here this week I think..We were doing good and staying in th 90's but supposed to hit 100 again tomorrow and be there 4-5 days and that's NOT what I like, but it is what it is !!! Thanx for everything and I'll keep my eyes and ears open in ear for any new news and updates !!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:33 am

I was up in the hills of the NE corner of CT and things are more noticeable now in terms of trees looking like they are losing their chlorophyll with random branches approaching a slight change in color. With all the rain the trees are so dense and hanging over the roads. I felt like I was in a rainforest!

One thing is for sure, there was no leaf drop, no curled up fried leaves, and that is a good sign so far! Next week looks like a cool down finally. I'm hopeful we won't get 90's in the middle/end of September like last season (2017). I'm ready to say so long to the heat and relentless humidity the northeast has been suffering through.

We're almost there! :D

Texas_Aggie

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:15 pm

I don't really have anything to add, other than Gig 'Em!

I'm 39 days away from my first trip to Vermont, and am super excited!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:47 am

Hi Texas: I'm sure you are in your final countdown, days now!

Our trees here in northern CT are turning now as you round the bend at every corner. Lots of rain yesterday helped the dryness a bit but a long stretch of sunny, warm days are ahead for the next week. Mums are everywhere and fall décor is garnishing homes and businesses. The last two cool nights were so exciting! It is the first time I had to shut the windows at night and it is also getting dark at 7:20!

I'm all packed ! :mrgreen:

pwt54

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:44 am

I've been seeing changes in the foliage the last few days. The bright green leaves of summer are looking dull and the stressed trees are turning color. These trees are damaged, diseased or in bad soil and always turn early. What color I'm seeing looks good. We are in a moderate drought up here in northern Vermont, but foliage looks normal.
Color in Mid-September will not be widespread, but there should some in Northeastern Vermont and Route 100 from Killington north to Lowell. That would include the Stowe area. Routes 17, 125 and 73 between Route 100 and Route US 7 should have color in the higher elevations.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:43 am

Hi Phil! Glad to see you back on the forum! Looking forward to our meetup when I am in Warren for three days. Especially our tour of the VT State House and then the back roads in Calais, Woodbury, Montpelier! Or wherever you have planned! Lunch on me in Montpelier? See you in a few short weeks! I'm glad the color is coming on and things are progressing normally. Get ready for fun and adventure!!!!!!!!!!! :D :mrgreen: :D 8) :twisted:

Texas_Aggie

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:05 am

ctyanky wrote:Hi Texas: I'm sure you are in your final countdown, days now!

Our trees here in northern CT are turning now as you round the bend at every corner.
Yes! i can't wait! Any early guess on what the Woodstock-Cavendish area might look like Columbus day weekend? We should be able to drive 1.5 hrs north or south of Cavendish if we need to, but i was definitely hoping on hitting Jenne Farm and Cloudland road while we are up there.

Cheers!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi Carol, I think we have two wonderful Texans posting here on the forum. Aggiedude (Marty - further down in the post) is the one who is coming mid September due to wife's obligations with family.

Texas aggie is on target for Columbus Day Weekend.

I hope I got them both separated in travel dates????? :D :D :D

But we love Texans and welcome both to our forum! When I stay at my inns, 50% of the guests are from Texas! When I lived there I thought they were the friendliest folks I've ever come across. So much fun to talk with them at the inns and hear how much they in turn love coming to Vermont! :wink:

Texas_Aggie

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into that 20 mile stream road.