It's September 1st! The First Day of Meteorological Fall!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

It's September 1st! The First Day of Meteorological Fall!

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:28 am

Hello all you foliage fanatics! For those of you who love September, here we are! Finally! The first day of meteorological fall and that means some of us arriving in Vermont in late September, are now just weeks away from our beloved Vermont foliage journeys! So much to look forward to! Once we get past the heat here in New England (albeit this morning is quite fall like) we can relish all the special components that make autumn such an iconic season to be enjoyed in so many ways! After Labor Day, I can start putting up my fall décor much to my neighbors' dismay! :mrgreen:

So, how do I love September? Here are some of the things I love about autumn!

Pumpkin patches, cool nights and warm, sparkling crisp days, geese flying over head in their V formations, hayrides into the fields, fall craft fairs and festivals, the sultry aroma of leaves turning, gourds and mums on my doorstep, sweatshirt weather, autumn trail rides, fall farmers markets and farm stands, scarecrows sprouting up along the roadside, towering haystacks and scrambling corn mazes, apple orchards and hot cider with cinnamon sticks, cider donuts and apple fritters, Indian corn displays, wood stoves' aroma into the night, open windows to ease me to sleep, the first hard frost....

VERMONT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

wentworth

Re: It's September 1st! The First Day of Meteorological Fall!

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Finally September is here and the excitement builds--Although it is still summer in every sense, temps will be 10 to 15 degrees above normal next few days---Then more normal Sept weather is ahead but Accuweather doesn't see any low temps diving into the much desired 30's in Killington for the entire month

triz

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:47 pm

I have been reading a few articles all saying foliage peaks will be late this year

KenHiker

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:05 am

Hi.
As an avid hiker who does NOT like walking in hot weather, I'm happy we're finally in September.
I also love VT fall foliage and reports.
Looking forward to hearing about how things are progressing.
As info, I live in northern Georgia (Cumming), but was stationed at the sub base in Groton, CT back in the early 70s.
I once visited VT in October and have been interested since.
I used to get Vermont Life, and have kept the Fall issues, which I read in September/October each year!
God Bless,
Ken :)

loafer89

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:38 am

At last we are getting a cool down to below normal temperatures this weekend. The cold overnight lows this weekend should get the foliage going in the right direction. I see that next week is forecasted to be in the middle 80's here again in Northern Connecticut :evil: I'm really tired of this hot weather. I hope we can avoid a late month heatwave like last year that wrecked the foliage in most spots.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:26 am

Hi Loafer: I too, am hopeful this hot weather will be a thing of the past soon. I'm rejoicing in the cool weather this weekend! I did read the forecast for our area (N. CT) and was not thrilled, but the season will come and everyone will be smiling soon! :) I hope that last season's heat wave was an aberration and nothing more.

Let me know how things are progressing around the Quabbin Reservoir if you happen to go up there. I never made it last year due to the conditions. I will be heading up to the NW corner the next two weekends for road trip scouting and to hike Lions Head. Maybe a trip to Mt. Snow for the Wildlife Festival on 9/22!

CT