It's 2018 and time to kickstart your Vermont fall foliage plans!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

It's 2018 and time to kickstart your Vermont fall foliage plans!

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Hello to all of you Vermont fall foliage seekers! It's right about now that I start my annual Vermont thread for the next foliage season, and the reason it is a couple of weeks early, is that I am so tired of this deep freeze! :evil: After this past brutal weekend, just when I thought I could not take one more day, we finally broke with a balmy 31 and 50 degree forecast for Friday. Ahhhhhhhhhh, thoughts of spring flowers and summer beach days and autumn in Vermont have been on my mind since this insane cold snap started on Christmas! :P

Anyways, on to Vermont planning! I continue to change up my inn venues as I have been thoroughly enjoying bouncing around from B&B to B&B, meeting new people and exploring totally different areas in the great state of Vermont. Last season Manchester and Middlebury were two new stops and I loved every minute tooling around these areas.

To start off, I've decided to stay first in North Bennington (reconnecting with Charles IXL from the forum) and with a friend from Burlington to hike to Lye Brook Falls which I have been reading up on. I am staying at an amazing place with an equestrian stable on premises and also riding nearby at another local stable. After this last weekend in September in North Benn, I'm off to Warren for a few days at a new B&B and then on to Starksboro for a stay at a farm/inn that has caught my attention for the last couple of years. I truly love the Lincoln area and all my favorite back roads, and I know I'll be returning there to cruise around my loops that I found last year. I hope to spend a lot of time in Burlington as well, and finally take my Spirit of the Ethan Allen cruise! Shelburne Farms, shopping on Church Street, and some more hiking are on the agenda. Then it is back to Manchester for a long Columbus Day Weekend so I can hike some more trails in the Equinox Preserve with my Burlington friend. The trail system there is totally amazing! Last year, we couldn't try the Bromley zip lines due to the one rainy day, so that is back on the schedule! :wink:

So I am all booked and deposited and very optimistic that we WILL have a better foliage season than 2017. :) I just love being in Vermont regardless, and take every opportunity to soak it all in with friends and activities galore to make my time there the best that I possibly can. I will be up for a few visits after sugaring season to enjoy summer adventures, but most of all, my heart beckons me to autumn in Vermont!

So friends, it is not too early to start planning (or at least thinking about) your Vermont fall excursions! We're just 8 months and 2 weeks away to countdown! :mrgreen:

Happy New Year! CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: It's 2018 and time to kickstart your Vermont fall foliage plans!

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 am

http://www.equinoxpreservationtrust.org ... active.php

Here is the Equinox Preservation Trust map of the trails (Manchester). I hope you can get a chance to explore here. One of the most well-maintained and diverse systems I have ever hiked on. So many trails for different levels! I may go up late summer to try a few more. Equinox Pond is amazing! Enjoy! :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:19 am

Here is the link for Lye Brook Falls and directions. I'm really looking forward to this hike in the fall. My friends are hiking it today and can't wait to hear about their experience in this frigid weather! Some tripadvisor comments coin it as easy to moderate, while others say it is moderate to difficult in parts. We shall soon see! :roll:

http://northeastwaterfalls.com/waterfal ... um=212&p=0

Starting in the town of Manchester, From Route 7A, turn east on Depot Street (Routes 11/30) and drive for about 1/2 mile, turning right on Richville Road. At the Post Office, turn left on East Manchester Road and cross beneath Route 7. After the underpass, turn right on the Lye Brook Falls Access Road (the sign might say Glen Road, but there is another sign indicating Lye Brook Falls access) and follow it to the end and park. The trail exits the parking lot at the far end. The first several yards are on rounded and somewhat slippery rocks, but this changes to a level former rail bed. You'll find several stretches of trail where there are numerous rocks protruding from the ground. Many of these have the potential to turn an ankle, so be mindful of your footing. The falls are reached in 2.3 miles.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:13 pm

Hello foliage friends! As of today, we are just past the six month mark on the countdown to Fall 2018. The autumnal equinox next falls on Saturday, September 22, 2018!!! I can't believe we are just two "seasons" away from the grand entrance of fall and all things we love about traveling in the great state of Vermont!

Time to start locking in your lodging, especially for the high foliage weekends in October, most importantly, Columbus Day Weekend. Spring has arrived here FINALLY! So many nor'easters this year, and oh, those cold temps seem to be on their way out. :D

I'm looking forward to warm sunshine, green grass and buds on the trees and shrubs, parades and cookouts and trips to the beach! I hope to make a couple more trips to Vermont for the Strolling of the Heifers, Brattleboro in June and the Blueberry Festival in the Deerfield Valley in July, both of which are amazing! In August, I'll be heading to the Taste of Woodstock for my first time and I'm very excited! Here are a few links for these events, in case you are so inclined.... There is so much more once summer arrives and I hope you can get up Vermont to enjoy all their wonderful festivities!

http://vermontblueberry.com/

https://www.strollingoftheheifers.com/

Strolling of the Heifers
Brattleboro | June 1-3, 2018
Brattleboro plays host to a jam-packed weekend that kicks off Friday with a downtown “block party” promising food, music, dancing, and fun. Saturday brings the namesake event, as future farmers and their heifers lead a parade of farm animals, bands, tractors, floats, and clowns; meanwhile, the all-day Slow Living Expo features such things as cooking demos, educational and entertaining exhibits, and a “goat olympics.” Rounding things off are the famous farmers’ breakfast, cycling tours, and farm visits.

https://www.woodstockvt.com/events/taste-of-woodstock

Let the fun begin! :wink:

Falme

Sun May 06, 2018 4:02 pm

Hello everyone! :D I hope you can help us. We are a Spanish couple who go to New England for the first time, to enjoy enjoying the Autumn. We arrived in Boston on September 27, and we have 11 days for this route. They can recommend some itinerary with the essentials. And it helps with the dates of the peak, which is driving us crazy :roll: . Thank you very much in advance, all the help will be welcome. (accommodation, where to eat, road trips ...) Thanks !!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

admin
Site Admin

Sun May 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Welcome Falme to our site:
The date spread on your trip should guarantee some nice color. If I were you, I would start your trip by heading north to the Quebec border and the northeast corner of the state, known as the Northeast Kingdom. You can get there very quickly from Boston by taking I-93 and then I-91 . Plan on staying in the Jay Peak or Burke area. Jay Peak is a big ski resort and they have a lot of rooms. Or you might try the Wildflower Inn in East Burke, or the Willoughvale Inn on Lake Willougbhy. From this area I would plan route down Route 100 through Stowe and down further towards Woodstock, and Killington. Higher elevations are likely to have the best color, but you can never really tell until you are here. Woodstock is mid state, so you could also plan outings from the area and go north or south depending on the color reports which you will find posted here quite regularly.

Falme

Mon May 07, 2018 11:40 am

Thank you very much for the recommendations!!!!! we take note!
Another question, is it possible in 11 days to visit the 6 states?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon May 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi Falme and welcome to the Vermont foliage forum!

In answer to your last question, in my opinion, it is unreasonable to conquer all the New England states in 11 days. You would be on the road driving to each state and never get a chance to enjoy the true essence and quaintness of New England.

This is what I would suggest. Stay in Boston a couple of days to relax and tour around the city. Boston is amazing! So much history there, I'm sure you will love it. Public transportation is key. I also would add a trip to Concord and Lexington more out in the countryside, full of New England history and simply beautiful.

Next, I should ask this. Are you here for foliage? Or just a taste of New England in general? Keep in mind, this is a Vermont foliage forum. There are experts here, locals and visitors alike, who can respond to your Vermont questions in detail, including routes, highlights and activities. The responses are real time with travelers posting their findings as they happen, right here on this foliage forum.

If indeed foliage is your main objective, and you are definitely here for a delightful period of foliage viewing, after Boston I would head to the White Mountains of New Hampshire for a couple of days, maybe three, and spend the rest of your trip in northern and central Vermont.

After you have decided what you want out of this trip and have your flights, get your lodging as soon as possible. I would spend two to three days in Boston, Concord and Lexington (google the historical aspects of all three) and then just pick two more states (VT and NH). This is only my opinion on the whole matter. If you want to do more states than what I have suggested, I just can't see how you can immerse yourself in six states in 11 days and get a true picture of quintessential New England and relax and enjoy yourself!

Lastly, get a home base in Vermont and one in New Hampshire (White Mountains) and travel about from there.

How does this sound to you? Please continue to ask away but do focus on the main objectives of your New England travel and form a simple plan and itinerary.

CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Falme

Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 am

Thank you very much CTYanky! We already have flights, we arrived on September 27 to Boston (we spent 2 nights in the city) and flew home from that same city on October 8 and we chose that time because we have been dreaming of spending an autumn there and enjoying its colors but since we are from Spain, specifically from the Canary Islands and it is not easy for us (for time and economy) to fly to the US we always want to see many things ... :) our main objective is to experience the autumn and, above all, to live the authentic world of villages, but above all my wife also loves lighthouses and we would like to see some of them beauty and with history. We really like the itinerary that you proposed, we will focus on spending more days in NH and VT. I hope not to abuse if I ask some advice on accommodation with charm but economic because on the website of Booking I see that it is little available and surely you know webs that we do not manage here. Thank you very much again and sorry for the extension of the post and my not good enough english :?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue May 08, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi Falme: I have a link for you for Vermont lodging and it has everything you need to enjoy Vermont if you care to scroll around the site. I would also go on TripAdvisor. I use Tripadvisor primarily for all my travels anywhere I go. I hope this helps!

https://www.vermontvacation.com/stay-and-play

I can't recommend anything in New Hampshire as I've never stayed there so perhaps others may chime in, in the coming weeks. I'm glad you have your flights secured!

If you don't get to Concord and Lexington in the Boston suburbs, I would also suggest the north shore of Massachusetts for a lovely drive along the coastline.

Once you get your lodging, come back here for questions on routes and activities, etc. I mostly have recommendations for Vermont but do ask away nonetheless!

CT

Falme

Sun May 13, 2018 4:02 am

Hello CT, thank you very much for the indications, we take note of everything. We are finishing planning the route thanks to the information they have given us. We will be more days in Vermont and New Hampshire to enjoy the color of Autumn. Thank you so much for everything. We will keep in touch.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun May 13, 2018 6:20 am

Falme: I have friends who rave about Sugar Hill and Jackson NH. Perhaps you might consider these two towns for lodging. I'm including two must do activities in NH for you. I'm sure you will love them! Go on to the links and add them to your itinerary!

https://pollyspancakeparlor.com/

https://www.thecog.com/

On another note, I'm currently working with Tim, our board owner, on updating the festivals and activities for 2018 for Vermont. I'm including this link from last year 2017, so you can see all the wonderful events that go on during the foliage season so that you can find a few to add to your excursions. Having a festival to include in your vacation is truly a perfect way to enjoy autumn in Vermont! I should be done with the updating by August, so stay tuned here for a new link appearing around that time. Most of the times are pretty consistent each year so hopefully you can choose a few to add into your itinerary. Scroll to the bottom of each page to click on the subsequent events, i.e. page two, three, four, etc.

http://www.foliage-vermont.com/fall_festivals.htm

Continue to ask away with route planning, etc. CT

Falme

Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 am

Thank you very much for the help, you are helping us a lot. We are excited by the kindness of the
forum members :D :D . Thanks CT for the links, and the idea of ​​going to an autumn festival
made us crazy :lol: :!: :!: . And thanks to mmvt for the recommendations. Greetings from the
Canary Islands. We keep reading :)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 pm

As of today, we are now four months away from the first day of Autumn 2018! The months are sure flying by quickly, aren't they? I have a feeling this short, rainy and cold, and sometimes snowy, (albeit beautiful) Spring will morph into a long, hot summer! Now is the time to lock in those travel plans, especially for those of you traveling by air to the northeast. I would also make sure you have secured your lodging, most importantly, for the Columbus Day Weekend. Keep in mind many places require a two - three night minimum stay during foliage season. Then start planning your routes and activities, and peppering the locals and regulars on this forum with all of your questions on the how, when and where of leaf peeping in the great state of Vermont! There are many posts in the foliage forum that are valuable in your trip planning. But most of all, we love to answer your questions on all things autumn in Vermont!

Happy Memorial Day Weekend! The best part is just around the corner! :wink: CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Where's summer??? :? :? :? Did we skip spring this year as well??? Anyways, this cool weather lately has gotten me totally jazzed for the upcoming fall trip to Vermont! I've been going over all of my activities for each of my four inn stays in different parts of Vermont and friends from afar have been contacting me for meetups so...... I'm over the top excited! I hope I can fulfill some of the activities/venues on my bucket list thread because one day in each location I am horseback riding or taking more lessons. This is a priority for me when I'm up in Vermont for foliage season. Here are some of the stables I'll be riding at in case anyone has been or is interested! I've ridden at Icelandic numerous times for the half day trek and it was phenomenal! There's nothing like riding in the mountains during the autumn season and I can't wait to try out my new riding equipment..... :wink:

http://kimberlyfarms.org/

North Bennington

http://mountainviewranch.biz/

Danby

http://icelandichorses.com/

Fayston

http://www.lajoiestables.com/index.html

Jeffersonville

http://www.chipmanstables.com/

Danby

Are there any horse lovers out there who have ridden in the other stables? I'm going to start volunteering next summer for a local equine rescue group who saves horses from the kill pen auctions in the Midwest and then provides for them rehabilitation and rehoming. One of my passions.... I just love being around horses since I was very young and am trying to perfect some of my riding skills while I'm up in Vermont! :)

Hope you can find time to trail ride this foliage season in Vermont. There's nothing like it!