Lewis Pond Overlook Directions by Phil (pwt)

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Lewis Pond Overlook Directions by Phil (pwt)

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:49 am

Greetings! For those of you who want to venture to Lewis Pond this autumn here are the directions from Phil from 2011 that are the ones to follow. Remember this is probably a good day trip depending on how long you want to stay at the overlook or extend your photo shoots, or where you are coming from, so you might want to plan to be out to the main road by dusk (for the faint of heart). :mrgreen: For me personally, this was the greatest long view I have ever seen in Vermont and both times I was speechless. Remember to check the road conditions before your trip. Enjoy! :D

Quoted from Phil:

"I use to send folks on the Stone Dam Road because it was easier. But the colors on the Henshaw and Four Mile roads are better. Drive east out of Island Pond village about 1/2 of a mile and look for the Henshaw Road on the left. Turn left onto the Henshaw Road. The road starts out bushy then you come to a wide open area with an old farm. Drive past the farm and the camp and soon you will come to a gate. Drive through the gate and in about 3 miles look for a wooden post on the left side that says the Nulhegan Basin. Take the road across from this sign post, This is the Four Mile Road. Drive this road to the end at the Lewis Pond Road and turn left. Drive the Lewis Pond Road up to the end where this overlook is located.

For you folks that would rather use the Stone Dam Road; The Stone Dam Road is off route 105 in Bloomfield,VT. Take the Stone dam road to the end at the Eagle's Nest Road and turn left. (Warning; somewhere along the line the Stone Dam Road changes it's name to the Canal Road. So if you plan to come back the way you came, look for the Canal Road signpost and not Stone Dam Road.) Drive the Eagles Nest Road to the end at the Lewis Pond and turn right. This will take you to the overlook. When you are done I would drive back and go past the Eagle's Nest Road and in a couple of miles, look for the Four Mile Road on your right. Drive the Four Mile Road to the end at the Henshaw Road and turn left to get back to route 105 in Island Pond."
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Lewis Pond Overlook Directions by Phil (pwt)

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:48 am

Hello all! We are still planning on the Lewis Pond trek on Tuesday the 3rd of October by way of Stone Dam Road. John from the forum, has reported washouts on Henshaw. I'm waiting to hear from Phil about a meeting place/time (rain cancels). We are also visiting Moose Bog in the state’s Wenlock Wildlife Management Area near the Silvio O Conte Refuge but it is up to him to determine whether it is before or after the Overlook. Stay tuned! :D

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/UserFi ... %20WMA.pdf

http://hikenewengland.com/WenlockWMA070128.php

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:28 am

Don't forget your binoculars if you go on another day! :D

edmcguirk

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:22 pm

ctyanky :

I am new to the forum but would like to visit Lewis Pond.

I just have a normal clearance car, and am concerned about access.

Is the Stone Dam road accessible by normal car, and Henshaw is not? Is that the current state of the roads?
And how "faint of heart" is the drive out on Stone Dam road at dusk?

Also for photography it looks like late afternoon is better than morning, is that correct?

Thanks for your help, this forum has a wealth of information, and is a valuable resource...

Ed McGuirk

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Hello there Ed! Welcome to the forum! I just got off the phone with the forester up there in the basin and have a lot of information to share with you when I get home. Stay tuned here!!!! Welcome! CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi Ed: I want to say thank you on behalf of all the posters here for your very nice compliment on this foliage forum. There's nothing like this forum anywhere on all things Vermont: leaf peeping, photography, activities central, food finds, and most of all a sincere passion for Vermont. Folks here love to share their findings for everyone else to enjoy! This forum rocks! :D

Back to Lewis!

Update on Henshaw: Upon speaking with the forester at the Nulhegan Basin, he confirmed what our other forum poster John has said, Henshaw has washouts and he does not recommend taking that road. Use Stone Dam Road.

Roads: The other good news was that the road was graded two weeks ago, how cool is that? Also, the last curve up to the overlook could be tricky, but you can use a normal clearance car. It would be nicer if it were an SUV or truck, but you can manage.

Foliage: The reds (Maples) took a hit this year with the heat and higher temps the last 3 weeks, and they may appear crumpled or rusty. The rest of the color is great and should be high color (prime) next week. His personal thought was that this is not last year's bonus extravaganza, but gorgeous already nonetheless. It is good to be up front and real about the foliage so you know what to expect when you get to the Overlook. Honestly, the long views there of endless rows of mountains is a sight to behold. A trip to the Overlook is not to be missed. This will be my third time and part of the anticipation is the ride in, which is also quite beautiful.

Time to photograph: Afternoon according to him, but my good friend here "ixl" Charles from this forum, was up at the crack of dawn to see the sunrise (he slept there :P ) and got some incredible shots. I will find his link and share if he doesn't come on in due time. Perhaps our photographers will share their experience in shooting here, as I am an amateur and am basically in for the fun and adventure and thrill of it all! :wink:

Faint of Heart Comment: Ummmm, I was being a little sarcastic, but knowing the wimp on some of these roads I can be, I personally would prefer to be done with the trip out of Lewis as it begins to get dark. I get scared easily especially when driving around with Phil who tends to enjoy watching me cringe. :mrgreen:

I'm expecting Phil (pwt) our local VTer expert on the roads in Vermont to pop in here as he is amazing! Please continue to ask away before and during your trip.

Again, welcome to this wonderful foliage forum! Enjoy Lewis Overlook! CT

edmcguirk

Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi Ctyanky

Thank for the very helpful reply, exactly the info I was interested in. I plan to be at Lewis pond the afternoon of 10/3

I have been photographing fall foliage in New England for many years, but I just have to say this forum is such an amazing resource. I am learning about locations that I never would have found on my own. And the "regular" posters are very helpful and willing to share their knowledge, which is so nice.

I also just bought Andy's Ebook vol II, and it is outstanding as well.

Thank you again for all the help !!!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:14 pm

You're welcome. I'm sure we'll see you there! By the way, "if" you are the same Ed Nature Photographer, I've come across your work and it is utterly amazing! You should share your work here if so..............

I have to take Phil to lunch first so we should be there around 1-2 I think. He's picking me up in Waitsfield around 9:30 and I don't know how long it takes us to get there, maybe 2 hours?

CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:51 pm

http://desktopscenes.com/Autumn_Scenes_ ... /index.htm

I'm a HUGE fan of Charles and his work, he is also a kind man and a special friend, and I met him right here on this forum. Somewhere in this display, you will see (maybe 2nd or 3rd row) some mind blowing photos of the Lewis Pond Overlook the night he stayed there. We tooled around the NEK one day and I'll never forget the wonderful time we had exploring together.

Ed: enjoy the photos he took of the Overlook where you will be soon! :D

edmcguirk

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:56 am

Thanks again Ctyanky. If you are going to be at Lewis Pond on the afternoon of 10/3, maybe we will run into each other.

Do you happen to know how long it takes to drive directly to the overlook from Rt. 105 without stopping?

I don't know if I am the same photographer that you are referring to, but my website is
http://www.edmcguirkphoto.com/

Twenty years ago I did a lot of fall photography in Vermont, because my parents lived in Bellows Falls. They are gone now, and the past 10 years or so I primarily concentrated on New Hampshire and Maine in the fall. But I've decided for the next 2 or 3 years to concentrate on Vermont in autumn. So I would expect to post some of my pictures here this year.

Again, thanks for your help.

Ed McGuirk

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:18 am

Hi Ed! You are one in the same! :D A great website indeed!

Hmmm, the ride in. Depending on how long you stop along the way. . . (you might find that you want to). I am going to estimate about 45 minutes? Maybe less. I'll check with Phil! Maybe we'll see you there! :D

edmcguirk

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:06 am

After seeing Charle's pictures from sunrise that you sent me, I may want to try that too. I'd do the afternoon first to learn the way in, but on another morning I may try to leave very early and make it there a half hour before sunrise.

pwt54

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 am

Because of personal obligations I have not been able to ride the back roads like I use to. So I haven't been able to ride those roads this year. In the 20 years I've been riding those roads, I have not had any trouble driving them. These roads were railroad beds in the old days and then converted to logging roads by the lumber companies. They are as good a gravel road as you will find anywhere in VT. You should not have any trouble getting to Lewis Pond.
Going from Lewis Pond to the Overlook may be a problem. The last time I was there, I ran into a bad spot. I was able to get by with my Subaru and it's 8 inches of clearance, but if I had a regular car, I would have turned back.
If you go to the Stone Dam Road from Island Pond, you will drive by the Ranger Station/ Welcome Center. Stop in and get some tips.

Andy

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Ed: Thanks for the compliment on our eBook. Went to your website. Very nice imagery!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

edmcguirk

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:30 pm

Andy

Thank you for your kind comments on my website. Your E-book is outstanding, it's very comprehensive, and has lots of location variety. I also really like how both you and Carol gave "editorial" comments on the locations. Sometimes the two of you came at locations from different perspectives, and I found that to be very helpful.

Your book is an outstanding resource for any photographer interested in Vermont.

I think you have equaled the work of Arnold Kaplan, you would have even surpassed him if you could just have included the "three tripod hole diagrams" :lol: