Saturday Sept 23 and Sunday the 24th

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

abby

Saturday Sept 23 and Sunday the 24th

Postby abby » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Yesterday (Saturday) I left the house in Barton about 6:20 AM. Took Rte 16 to Glover. Stopped to photograph Clarks Pond on Rte 16. Beautiful morning reflections with a light coat of fog along the water. My lens was somehow on manual focus. I was shooting live view with camera on the tripod and didn't even notice the photos were out of focus. Stupid mistake on my part but won't beat myself
up. Might be able to salvage them. Not sure yet. Colors are early here but looking ok. From here went to Shadow Pond in Glover. Very little early color here. Got some decent shots of cows grazing on shadow Lake Road. I always like this road. Went to Newark Pond. Colors early. Went to Bald Hill Pond. Colors look decent. Not the best but there are lots of reds. I'm trying to decide......are these reds going past peak or are they waiting for the cooler weather to pop? It's a crapshoot and won't know until next weekend into early next week. Went to Jobs Pond. This place never disappoints. Beautiful colors and excellent reflections. Lots of reds. I hope they get redder when the cold air finally arrives. Time will tell. From here went to Island Pond. Colors not that great. I can't tell if they are just not there yet or if they changed and now are just fading. From here went 114 up to Canadian Border. Colors sporadic. A few pockets of kind of pretty colors and other pockets look dull and almost past peak to me. But again, I don't know if they will brighten when the cold air gets here or not. Took Hinton Hill road up and over to Westmore Lake Willoughby. Rte 16 East into Barton has some fairly decent color. Again I hope it brightens. Colors along Rte 5 in Barton are the best I saw all weekend. Went to Wheeler Pond on Wheeler Mountain road in Barton. colors are good here. I've seen them better but they are good. Hopefully they get even better. Last night I shot the Milky Way over my barn. This morning went up through Irasburg to Coventry. Early colors looking ok. Not the best I've ever seen so hoping they get better. Went to Coventry. Again early colors. Had a heard of cows cross the road in front of me so that was awesome and made my morning. headed home to MA after breakfast. Took Rte 122 that goes through Sheffield Heights. Colors just not vibrant. Again I hope they improve. Rte 93 in New Hampshire. Colors a little better and saw more reds. Colors in the North side of Franconia Notch were very good. Lots of reds. Color through the Notch itself was nothing. So strange. But then on the South side of the Notch colors coming along very nicely with lots of reds. I'll be back up next weekend for a week. I know there will be beautiful color to be found. May take some driving to get to it but I'm very excited to get back up to my beloved Vermont. I have a friend from work with me. I asked her if she was disappointed with the foliage and her response was " I can't believe how beautiful it is. The mountains are gorgeous and I can't believe all of the country roads and farms that we are seeing. Some of the foliage is so beautiful". So to those of you who are traveling for the first time like my friend........no matter what the foliage conditions......you will not be disappointed!
Carol

mmvt

Re: Saturday Sept 23 and Sunday the 24th

Postby mmvt » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:26 pm

thanks for the great report Carol! We head up on Thursday and we're looking forward to seeing you very soon :-) Between your area and Killington we WILL find awesome color...and, as you mention, VT is beautiful regardless. I will be interested to see what colder weather does and am looking forward to it as this late spurt of HOT temperatures is simply not right in September!
See you soon and thanks again for taking time to share your observations

abby

Re: Saturday Sept 23 and Sunday the 24th

Postby abby » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:55 pm

You're welcome MM. Looking forward to hearing your report when you arrive in Killington. Hopefully by Monday the cold snap will have helped the colors along when you come up to visit the kingdom. Can't wait to get back up there!!!
Carol

Return to “Foliage Forum”