Arlington area on 10/13 - 10/15

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bobbav

Arlington area on 10/13 - 10/15

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi All,

I'll be coming to VT for my annual foliage weekend, and this year pushed it back from the first weekend in October to the 13th. Any early predictions on color in the Arlington area that weekend? I also scheduled a VT train ride on the 14th that goes from Chester to Okemo and back.

Thanks in advance all!

Bobby
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Arlington area on 10/13 - 10/15

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi Bob! You live down near the CT shore correct? Glad you have a weekend planned, I thought perhaps you missed VT last year. I was looking at the Chester train ride myself today to help a friend prepare a route and it does look fun! Green Mountain Flyer? Chester is such a sweet town, don't forget to stop at the Vermont Country Store in Rockingham on the way to Chester! I was there two weekends ago and it was once again, a lot of fun. So much Vermont stuff! A super place for gifts for others who love Vermont. We ate at the deli inside, and had the "Vermonter" sandwich. I must say it was really delicious! Enjoy!

I think you'll be fine for the foliage at the time in the Arlington area! CT

bobbav

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:08 am

Hi CT! I have been going to VT every year, but haven't been on the forum for a while. I forget how useful this forum is!!

I am actually moving to Woodbury next week, which is in Litchfield County. What's nice is I am on 5+ acres, surrounded by 50+ acres of Flanders nature preserve. It's like my little mini Vermont!

I typically stay at the Arlington Inn or the Inn at Weston. My annual itinerary takes me to Manchester, Woodsotck, Queecie, Dover, and a few other quaint areas. I think this is the first time i am pushing it to Columbus day weekend, as it seems like I always miss the peak by about a week. last year I recall the leaves in that area being in the very early stages, with a few trees scattered that literally have popped.

I am sure you can attest, we get soooo excited right up to we get to VT, and after about an hour being there, begin to regret having to leave!

Hope all is well with you and the 'Others' on this fine forum. Happy Autumn!

Bobby
Bob

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi Bob! I'm very excited for your move to Woodbury!!! I know those back roads all around Litchfield County as I am there in the NW hill towns almost every weekend! Woodbury is so rural and quaint, I can relate to your "mini Vermont" comment. I grew up not far from there and love the feel of the Woodbury town. As a matter of fact, last year I contacted the roads department of the public works and they gave me a long list of awesome back roads in your new town! They were so happy to give me all kinds of information about the roads, etc. I'll try to find it and post it for you.

Last year, I hiked the Flanders Nature Preserve and loved it. Two weekends ago, my friend and I hiked through the Orenaug State Forest to the fire tower! You must go! Beautiful! Good luck in your move!

Now to VT. Have a great time at your inns. The inn at Weston is divine. Isn't the fall festival there Columbus Day Weekend too? The Arlington Inn is so pretty as well. I'll be in Manchester for my first weekend as I have a hike scheduled there into the Equinox Pond Preserve with a friend who just moved to Burlington, the big Manchester Fall Festival, and some back roads tours near Dorset. We may also drive up Mt. Equinox (my third time) if we have enough time left after the hike. Stop at the Equinox Valley Nursery for their amazing fall display and cider donuts. We also hope to stop at the sculpture park.

I stayed in Woodstock for a weekend last fall and totally fell in love with the area. The backroads are fantastic after you drive up Cloudland to Old Kings Highways and Joe Ranger Road. I hope you have time to take this loop!

Enjoy Woodbury and if you ever need a ton of backroads in the Litchfield Hills let me know! I have a friend who is a clone of Phil here on the forum and I learned every twist and turn in the NW corner from him! Enjoy!!!! CT

http://equinoxvalleynursery.com/index.php/pumpkin-patch

bobbav

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:44 am

Holy COW, CT! Talk about one resourceful blogger!!!!!! You are truly an asset to this forum.

I am praying for nice weather, as I think in all the years I have been going to VT in the Fall, the sun comes out when I hit Hartford on my way home :(

Have a fun trip!
Bob

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:21 am

Thanks for the compliment Bob! I enjoy sharing my VT and CT passion with others. Have a super time in Vermont! When you are up there, I'll be trolling the northwest corner of CT and the Quiet Corner of CT on the other side!

CT