October 5-8 too early?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

triz

October 5-8 too early?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi everybody, I am new in the forum!

My wife and I are from Philly, and would like to spend a few days in Vermont (sleeping in Grafton) for some leaf peeping.
We currently have a reservation at an airbnb from October 5th to October 8th.
Considering the abnormally warm temperatures that will characterize the next several days, would you rather recommend to push my reservation back to the following weekend (Oct 12th)?

Thanks in advance!

john

Re: October 5-8 too early?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:58 pm

I don't know a lot about that area, but I think you will be fine with those dates. I know the upper elevations of the Green Mountains between Brattleboro and Bennington usually have very good color around those dates. I'm sure someone that knows more about that area will chime in.

triz

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Last edited by triz on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

triz

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Thank you very much!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:16 am

Hello Triz and welcome to the forum! I agree with John. I thought about this last night and I'm always reluctant to suggest to folks to change their dates. The highlands around Bennington and Brattleboro should be great at that time (route 9 crosses the state west to east). One of our forum members Charles (ixl) lives in that area and I hope he comes on here to offer his opinion.

That being said, you can always head north. You are about an hour from Killington, two hours from Waitsfield in central VT and about an hour from Woodstock. Just remember to keep an eye on how far north you are traveling, as returning to Grafton can be quite a long trip home.

On a final note, changing your dates to those later ones can be risky. Not to be a negative Nelly, but wind and rain storms that late in the VT season can cause the weaker leaves to succumb to leaf drop. I've seen it happen many times but no one can predict how this season will turn out on those later dates. Just something to keep in mind.

Keep your dates and keep your eye on the forum for the posters' real time observations. My good friend Minnesotaman arrived last night and he is true to "on the spot" reports. I know he is on his way north this morning and as he coins it, "way north"!

I'm very familiar with southern VT as I go up there frequently. I could give you some routes around there as well, but as I said, you can do the highlands and also travel north during your stay. Grafton, Newfane, Chester are all amazing small VT towns worth a drive on the back roads there. Bennington is so historic you would love it!

As I am more of an activity oriented person, I could fill you in on lots of fun things to do during your stay.

Welcome again to the forum! You will get loads of information here! Stay tune and ask away! CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

triz

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:49 am

Many thanks for your suggestions!

triz

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Hello friends!
Wife and I confirmed our trip for this coming weekend (5th-8th), and we are really excited about it.

I am reading that the foliage is still early, what could be some safe bets? As suggested by ctyanky we are planning to spend one day on the highlands around Bennington and Brattleboro. Is this still a good option?
Some other suggestion for the following day? I am willing to drive north!

Thanks!!