Early color in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

john

Early color in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Here's a video I shot yesterday of Little Averill Pond. The colors are coming on fast here in the NEK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfyA2JBgtVs

wentworth

Re: Early color in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 pm

john wrote:Here's a video I shot yesterday of Little Averill Pond. The colors are coming on fast here in the NEK.

Excellent--colors coming in sharp and early--well done

wentworth

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 pm

looks likes Lewis Pond has some really good color also,as per YouTube

john

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:43 pm

wentworth wrote:
john wrote:Here's a video I shot yesterday of Little Averill Pond. The colors are coming on fast here in the NEK.

Excellent--colors coming in sharp and early--well done
Thanks!
wentworth wrote:looks likes Lewis Pond has some really good color also,as per YouTube
Yes, the colors out at Lewis Pond are coming along nice.

I should mention that the Henshaw Road access requires a 4WD with a little clearance. There are a couple of washed out culverts before you reach the Wildlife Refuge roads. I'm not sure how the Stone Dam side is.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:33 am

Hi John and welcome to the forum! I see you on Capture My Vermont and you have a showcase of amazing shots! Love this video! I'm headed to Lewis the beginning of the first week in October with a few folks. I hope the foliage is prolific and glorious at that time!!!! If not, I love the ride in and Lewis Pond Overlook has the best long views in the state in my opinion. I've been twice before and it never ceases to amaze me!

There is a bog around there that I want to visit just off the main road. I'm sure you have been there! Hope to get the two in in one day.

I hope you continue to post here during the foliage season, and again, welcome! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:20 am

P.S. I've not been to Little Averill Pond. Are the two doable in one day??? (Lewis and Averill).......

john

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:29 am

ctyanky wrote:Hi John and welcome to the forum! I see you on Capture My Vermont and you have a showcase of amazing shots! Love this video! I'm headed to Lewis the beginning of the first week in October with a few folks. I hope the foliage is prolific and glorious at that time!!!! If not, I love the ride in and Lewis Pond Overlook has the best long views in the state in my opinion. I've been twice before and it never ceases to amaze me!

There is a bog around there that I want to visit just off the main road. I'm sure you have been there! Hope to get the two in in one day.

I hope you continue to post here during the foliage season, and again, welcome! :D
Thanks for the welcome. I agree with you, the view from The Lewis Pond Outlook is special. He's a link to the video wentworth was referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0g9FWwIhqs
ctyanky wrote:P.S. I've not been to Little Averill Pond. Are the two doable in one day??? (Lewis and Averill).......
You shouldn't have a problem visiting both in one day. Averill Pond is about a 25 minute drive from Island Pond. You could even stop and check out Norton Pond on your way. Here's a link to the video I made of Norton Pond on Monday. I wish there was a way to embed the videos in the post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3R-EwjvBa4

wentworth

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Norton Pond is amazing also, nothing like drone footage to appreciate Vermont--keep up the great work

bsparks276

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:19 pm

The Boston TV weather guy last night said it now looks like the next two weeks are forecast to be warmer than it has been so far in September, which would slow foliage down, and push us back to a normal instead of early peak. Is it correct or still there is scope of flexibility ?

wentworth

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:55 pm

bsparks276 wrote:The Boston TV weather guy last night said it now looks like the next two weeks are forecast to be warmer than it has been so far in September, which would slow foliage down, and push us back to a normal instead of early peak. Is it correct or still there is scope of flexibility ?
Yes--supposed to be above normal temps for about a week--You can always check Accuweather,put in a city(say Killington) and then hit the 'month' link,gives you the normal high and low and the expected high and low temps every day of the month--Very possible that this warmer week will slow down the early progression we're seeing in the Northeast Kingdom

john

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:54 pm

bsparks276 wrote:The Boston TV weather guy last night said it now looks like the next two weeks are forecast to be warmer than it has been so far in September, which would slow foliage down, and push us back to a normal instead of early peak. Is it correct or still there is scope of flexibility ?
Eric Fisher from WBZ in Boston is supposed to use some of my footage of Little Averill Pond in tonight's weather report around 5:45PM.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:22 pm

John! That's fantastic! By the way, I watched your videos of Lewis Pond and Norton Pond. Blissful! Watching these made me so excited to get up there! I'm waiting to hear from Phil (from our forum PWT) as he is leading a bunch of us into Lewis. If I tell him I now want to go to Little Averill Pond too, he might back out! I'll have to save it. :mrgreen: One step at a time!

Looks like a lot of red and oranges like last season in your videos. We are starting out primarily red and oranges down here in CT in the mountains (NW hills). I'm thinking we are going to Lewis Pond either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of the first full week in October. I don't care if the foliage slows down, if it even does, will be better for me in the long term! Thanks for the videos, can't wait to see more! CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:33 pm

John: I have your station on live! Poor dog has to wait to go out now! :shock:

john

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:07 pm

abby wrote:Hi John,
Welcome to the forum. I also really enjoy seeing your stuff on CMV, and when it's shared by others on Facebook, where I originally saw this video from Little Averill pond. I just turned my tv on to channel 4, which is our wbz station and hope your video hasn't been aired yet. If they didn't air it early than I should catch it. :D
When I originally saw this video I commented on how vibrant the colors look........it is reminiscent of last years spectacular colors. If this continues, I'd say we are in for another incredible season. Thanks for sharing!
Carol
Thanks for the warm welcome.
ctyanky wrote:John! That's fantastic! By the way, I watched your videos of Lewis Pond and Norton Pond. Blissful! Watching these made me so excited to get up there! I'm waiting to hear from Phil (from our forum PWT) as he is leading a bunch of us into Lewis. If I tell him I now want to go to Little Averill Pond too, he might back out! I'll have to save it. :mrgreen: One step at a time!

Looks like a lot of red and oranges like last season in your videos. We are starting out primarily red and oranges down here in CT in the mountains (NW hills). I'm thinking we are going to Lewis Pond either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of the first full week in October. I don't care if the foliage slows down, if it even does, will be better for me in the long term! Thanks for the videos, can't wait to see more! CT
Make sure you mention the washouts on the Henshaw Road side.

I was able to stream WBZ on the computer and do a screen capture. The quality isn't very good, but it does show my footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2aTW_S ... annel=null

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey! Now you are famous! 8) Congrats for getting your work out there for all to see. I'm sure you are getting a lot of compliments from family and friends watching. Kudos!