Are We Headed for an Early Foliage Season in VT?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Are We Headed for an Early Foliage Season in VT?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:12 pm

All of the ingredients are now coming together for a stellar foliage season in VT (and elsewhere in New England). We have had a very long stretch of warm, sunny days and cool nights (and some colder than normal mornings), the rainfall has been light to moderate, with no prolonged washouts or heavy storms recently. Just enough sporadic rain amounts to keep the canopies lush and full and free from drought effects causing early leaf drop.

Here in Northern CT we are a week early in color. I'm hoping our local VTers will have some idea soon about the seasonal progression. Normally, I wait until the 3rd week in September to guesstimate about the color changes but reports are coming in about the early leaf changes as well.

Friends in the tree business agree. It's early this year. It's all good. Even with this warm week we are having, the days are shortening significantly now and that is one of the main pieces of the puzzle.

Keep us posted up there in VT! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

admin
Site Admin

Re: Are We Headed for an Early Foliage Season in VT?

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:13 am

I agree. Foliage color seems to be coming on fast, almost everywhere. I was down in the Killington area this past weekend and the color change was very similar to what I am seeing in northeastern VT. However, remember that one can be tricked by this. The color change can pause for a while then pick up again.

admin
Site Admin

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:13 am

I agree. Foliage color seems to be coming on fast, almost everywhere. I was down in the Killington area this past weekend and the color change was very similar to what I am seeing in northeastern VT. However, remember that one can be tricked by this. The color change can pause for a while then pick up again.
Last edited by admin on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: duplicate

wentworth

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:02 am

An early Fall--That's what I predicted a few weeks ago--Much cooler than normal temps so far this month, although Vermont is now in a warming trend for the next 6 days,which should slow color progression a bit

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:42 am

We are at about 10% change as well in Northern CT but we normally don't see this until the end of the third or into the fourth week in September. The nights are still so cool and the days continue on a long stretch of warm, sunshiny days with a few shots of light rain coming here and there. Enjoy the last days of summer bliss while the leaves change right before your eyes! It doesn't get any better than this! :D

Heading to Woodstock for the Woodworking and Forest Weekend in two weeks, hopefully to meet up with Minnesotaman. Should see some decent color around there at that time.

wentworth

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Low temperatures way above normal next 5 days, should slow the early progression a bit--looks like a perfectly normal timed Fall this year, whatever that means :-)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:25 am

Hi Wentworth: Still too soon to tell if the season will be early or on normal progression, but I'm sure enjoying this weather! The nights are so cool and the days are delightful here! Whatever transpires, the foliage is going to be super awesome this season. We have a lot of reds and oranges and golds popping out already. Have a good time in Vermont! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:19 am

My personal observations are that we are still tending towards an "earlier" season. Based upon my travels in the NW Hills of CT yesterday, the colors are still developing rapidly despite the warm day time temperatures. The nights are cool, the shortening days are really fast approaching, we are now at 7:15 in dusk, and these prolonged, sun drenched days are all still contributing factors. I spoke with an arborist who confirms that once the sugars start depleting along with the above contributing elements, the progression still continues despite our summer-like days, as our earlier cold start kick started the process awhile ago.

The colors were coming on strong yesterday near the Mass/CT border and in the mountain ridges. I'll be in VT next weekend for Woodstock's Forest Days at Marsh Billings Rockefeller National Park and should see some of the changes up there to report. Some photos are now coming in from up north with confirmation of early season color. Maybe a week or less earlier than normal, but really not that significant. Anyways, where I'm headed the first weekend it doesn't matter because I'm going to Manchester for the hiking and other activities! :wink:

In the meantime, I hope our locals can assess the VT scene and report back here! :D Minnesotaman arrives in a couple of days so he should be reporting back soon.

PS. I can't believe I'm leaving next week!!!! :shock:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:33 am

If you go on "Capture My Vermont" website you'll see folks starting to upload outstanding photos of emerging color. The best of the best VT photographers on this site in my opinion. CT