Lake Willoughby in summer...very early signs of fall?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Lake Willoughby in summer...very early signs of fall?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Here is an aerial panorama of South Beach, at Lake Willoughby, taken at the end of July 2017. You can see that at the higher altitudes around Mount Pisgah there are signs of the foliage darkening, while at lower elevations it is still a brilliant green.

http://www.droneflynewengland.com/south ... beach.html

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Lake Willoughby in summer...very early signs of fall?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:18 am

Hi Tim! Early signs of fall in Vermont! I'll take it! Makes my heart sing! :D

We're seeing the same down here in CT (northern), lots of trees dulling, it is very noticeable. And in the high elevations some random turning of leaves. I keep pointing it out to my friends, and they are like, "what?" I guess only a foliage fanatic keeps their eyes peeled upward! :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting! Fall is on its way! See you next month!!!!!!!

Rockwall Tim

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm in Texas, practically a continent away from Vermont. So is anyone hazarding a guess as to either (1) the quality of the foliage season and/or (2) the timing of the season?
II Cor. 4:17

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi Texas Tim: Honestly, I don't think anyone would go out on a limb this early in the game to give an accurate or even a "guestimate" answer to either of your questions. We just started the month of August, and although we typically see these early signs of fall at the end of July/early August as a norm, August can be a brutally hot month. It can slow an early progression down considerably. I think we can rely on our local VTer's to give their best wager on the foliage somewhere around the second or at least by the third week of September. Watching how September unfolds is the best way to give anyone a handle on the quality of foliage, at least for Vermont.

As for your second question, timing. That ties in directly to my first response. I always propose that the last week of September through Columbus Day Weekend is the best period for travel in Northern and Central Vermont for finding great foliage. I know nothing of New Hampshire timing. Perhaps someone who travels there can chime in.............

I know these may not be the answers you are looking for right now and especially since you are traveling such a long distance from Texas (your other continent :wink: ). I know you have your lodging secured from your last post. That's great!

I also hope my timing is good but it is a gamble every year. Wind, rain, drought, early frost, cool nights and warm, sunshiny days, etc. are all in Mother Nature's hands. Last year was spectacular, let's hope for a repeat! :D

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

Rockwall Tim

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:40 pm

We're booked for Oct. 8-13. I figure that's reasonably safe. I came solo in 1989 during the first week of October. Drove to Weston and the leaves were on the ground. Started snowing! I cut my losses and drove to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown to salvage the trip.
II Cor. 4:17

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:09 am

Tim: You are coming at a great time. Enjoy!

As an aside note, I've come when it was so cold, I didn't pack enough winter clothes. One time, Phil and I went to the top of Jay (I think that was the mountain) on the tram and I had on a scarf, gloves and winter jacket. One season it was so hot, I was in a shirt and shorts for part of the trip, one season it rained most of the time, another was a top 10 pure autumn bliss almost every day. One year I was too late, one year I was too early. This all occurred in the same time frame I go every year, end of September for about 10 or 11 days.............I remember one time we stayed at a farm and when we went in the car trunk to get out some food, it was all frozen!

I guess we just have to take what comes and enjoy just being in Vermont! :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:40 pm

The Vermont Fall Foliage facebook page has a huge pic of a maple 1/4 changed in Manchester. I guess it is random wherever you go. I'm off to the CT hills tomorrow and will keep my eyes peeled upward! :mrgreen: Like I said, August can be a brutal month and we are just finishing a stretch of 90's here in Northern CT. Lots of rain tomorrow! Agreed, the foliage is lush from all the summer rains and storms, and that it one beneficial factor in determining the autumn display.

I must say I do feel for folks coming from away who spend a lot of money planning their trips well in advance and have some legitimate concerns about when and where the color will be. Some of us are close enough to return every year or make it a yearly trek, but this may be a solo trip of a lifetime that has been in the works for years for others. I do understand their concerns but really, as mmvt said, it will come when it's ready. (Just like giving birth in a way! :lol: ) Strange comparison but true! :|