Vermont's New State Park! Taconic Mountains Ramble State Park

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Vermont's New State Park! Taconic Mountains Ramble State Park

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:48 pm

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/exp ... id=5709320

https://vtstateparks.com/taconic.html

Oh My! I'm destined to hike here. 8) Read the first article and you will feel the same. The story is so mesmerizing and beckons one to explore this new state park in Vermont. Such an interesting piece, I just have to do this hike :!: If anyone is interested for a group hike during Columbus Day Weekend (While I am in Middlebury), let me know and we can set up a meetup. I'm a bit concerned about the rock scrambling section however, so I will contact the ranger and see if it is considered moderate or difficult. Plus, with the outstanding views promised, I will do this hike only on a stellar day with clear skies! Glad I just bought some very excellent hiking shoes from LLBEAN! :lol:

I'm very intrigued by the Japanese Gardens spoken of in this first sevendaysvt article. It seems like such a special place! The Japanese Gardens are only open through Columbus Day Weekend. If you read the story you will want to explore here too! What a blessing this man made to the state of Vermont. If anyone has been here, please post your impressions!

All I can say is Wow. :wink:
From the North:
Take US-7 South to VT-30 in Middlebury. Follow VT-30 south for 22.3 miles. Turn left onto Monument Hill Rd for 5.9 miles. Turn right onto St. John Rd. after the Hubbardton Battlefield for 0.3 miles. Park is on your left.

From the South:
Take US-4 to Exit 5. Turn north onto East Hubbardton Rd. (becomes Monument Hill Rd.) for 6.4 miles. Turn left onto St. John Rd. for 0.3 miles. Park is on your left.
Here are the trail maps for easy reference: EASTERN and WESTERN TRAILS. The eastern side has WATERFALLS!!!!!!!!!!

https://vtstateparks.com/assets/pdf/tac ... astern.pdf

https://vtstateparks.com/assets/pdf/tac ... estern.pdf
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Utah Baker

Re: Vermont's New State Park! Taconic Mountains Ramble State Park

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:02 pm

Wow! Sounds fabulous!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:10 am

Hi Janice! I can't wait to hike there! Are you coming to Vermont? The last I heard was that your hubby was tentatively making plans? 8)

I'm off to go hiking in the mountains on this beautiful summer's day to break in my new Keen's hiking shoes to prepare for various Vermont hiking adventures! :D I hope to get up to SoVT in August to meet ixl from the forum to hike somewhere.

I hope we can connect in Vermont this year. Perhaps you can join us in some of the meetups! CT

Utah Baker

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:18 am

Hi CT! Still working on dates, have some family commitments here the first week of Oct., may have to come a little later than hoped. Would love to work some thing out for a meet up or hike. I'll keep an eye out here!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi Janice! Will you be coming out by Columbus Day Weekend? I'm in Middlebury for four complete days and this is the time I will be doing this hike. Still in the planning stages of course, and the hike will take place only in good weather! If you are interested we can meet at the entrance. Keep it on your bucket list! I really hope you can make it.....Otherwise, I would be happy to meet you elsewhere.

I also found another intriguing park that has A FIRE TOWER! I love climbing fire towers for the views since I did the one at Stratton. This other one is in Brookfield, Allis State Park. I think this sounds like another winner. :D

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/vermont/ ... e-park-vt/

Dave_VT

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Taconic Ramble is a pretty state park, worth an hour or two on a day trip, but it's not a major destination in itself. The hiking is easy, although the forest trails can be muddy in wet weather, and the "scramble" up the rocks is easy for the average walker used to Vermont trails. If you want to hike to the highest viewpoints plan on staying three or four hours. It's in the scenic forested highlands west of Rutland that should have good foliage color. The "Japanese Garden" is a modest set of pools excavated beneath a rock outcropping. I've been there twice since it opened although I have not hiked 100% of the trails.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:54 am

Hello Dave VT! First of all, welcome to the SOV Foliage Forum! Glad you have signed up! Thanks for the valuable information on Taconic Ramble State Park. I was a little concerned on the description of the rock scramble but you have set my mind at east a bit. I am sure we will be there 1/2 day to experience the higher peaks of the trail system. Hopefully, by Columbus Day Weekend, I should see some nice color there as well.

Do you have any other hikes you would recommend in the area? I am doing a hike in Manchester on 9/30 to Equinox Pond in the Equinox Preserve system. I'm wondering if you have done that one?

There are so many incredible hiking trails in VT and I'm so excited to try at least 5 (one down, see my recent post on Molly Stark in Wilmington) during the foliage season as I am so close to the border. I've done two hikes in northern CT already this weekend and I'm totally hooked!!!!!! Lots of early color and the air is so refreshing and the smells of autumn emerging! I think I've traded my horseback riding for hiking now. :wink:

Again, thanks for joining the forum and I hope you continue to post here during the season! CT :D

Dave_VT

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 am

Regarding Equinox Pond hike, Manchester
Tips
Most visitors park at the Red Gate trailhead on W. Union St. and walk to Equinox Pond via one of the lower trails to the Pond Loop Trail. It's an easy walk with very good views of Mt. Equinox from the pond, although otherwise the trails are through dense forest. Takes 45 minutes to an hour round trip.

If the trailhead parking lot is full go downhill to the high school lot, where there's a short connector trail to the main system.

Maps are available at the Red Gate trailhead and at the Equinox Hotel. Google "Equinox Preservation Trust" for an online map.

I like to do the Mountain Bluff trail which has a scenic viewpoint at the intersection with the Trout Lily Trail and connects with the Pond Loop trail for a stroll around the pond before heading back to the trailhead. The viewpoint requires a scramble through the forest on an unnamed trail and the final 50' is steep, although not technical. You can see far down the Valley of Vermont from the rocky outcrop known as Deer Knoll. The entire walk takes about 2 hours at a leisurely pace.

There's a shorter hike to the Robin's Bluff viewpoint that takes less time and is easier to find than Deer Knoll. It's well marked on the trail map.

N.B. the hike to the summit of Mt. Equinox from the bottom of the trail system is very strenuous and takes fit hikers 2-3 hours one way. There are no views along the way to the summit, almost no switchbacks, usually no water available and it terminates in a parking lot. It's fine as a fitness exercise but not a great foliage scenery hike.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:53 am

Dave: thank you so much for the detail. To start, I'm so not going to hike to the top of Mt. Equinox! :shock: I'm not in that skill level at all! I am interested in the Pond Loop for sure.

Deer Knoll Lookout vs. Robin's Bluff viewpoints: Which is more worth the hike? I can do a 50' steep climb but as you mentioned, the trail is unmarked? No tree markers? How long is it on this trail to Deer Knoll Lookout? I don't want to get lost in the VT woods at the beginning of my vacation!!!! :lol: Do you suggest I take Robin's Bluff trail then?

I'll stop at the Equinox and get the trail maps when I arrive the 29th. Can't wait! Hope the weather cooperates.

Thank you again for responding and hope to see you here more often! CT

Dave_VT

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:52 pm

RE Mt Equinox
Give Robin's Bluff a go. Nice views and the trail is well marked.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks Dave! On the itinerary! Robin's Bluff it is. :D