Have You Started Thinking About or Planning Your 2017 VT Foliage Trip?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Have You Started Thinking About or Planning Your 2017 VT Foliage Trip?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Hello everyone and Happy New Year! We are 8 months out from our first arrivals into the great state of Vermont for our foliage vacations! But who's counting? :wink:

After last autumn's sensational foliage display, it is hard to imagine not returning again in 2017! One can only hope for a rerun of 2016, one of the most amazing foliage seasons in many years.

Upon trolling many B&Bs, inns and such, I'm finding they are receiving a lot of inquiries, not to mention actual confirmations of reservations.

As for myself, I am leaving the end of September again and staying for what I hope is a glorious 12 day excursion within three locales. I am exploring two towns that I've happened to pass through either for a festival, shopping or other event, or merely just traveling through to get to another destination, but never spent enough time there to fully appreciate the many things the town had to offer. So I'm just going to plop myself down at a quaint B&B and inn in these two new VT towns at the beginning and end of my trip! The middle of the stay will be in Waitsfield, my tried and true happy place. More to come as to where these "new" locales will be and what I am planning to do to occupy my time there. 8)

There are so many items on my bucket list this coming season and I'm getting excited for autumn in Vermont once again. I have only one mountain foliage lift ride to cross off my list of eight and that is in Stratton. I never got to hike Nichols Ledge or take the cruise on Lake Champlain. One of my to do's include a long trail ride in Danby at a ranch recommended by friends. I also want to hike to Equinox Pond as I recently saw some beautiful photos online. So much to do and so little time! :shock: I wouldn't mind another day trip to Lewis Pond, will have to contact Phil who is on the beach in Florida with his endless search of seashells to bring home. :lol:

Most of all, looking to meet up once again with old and new VT foliage fanatics, locals and visitors alike, to troll around the countryside.

How about you? :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

bvahjen

Re: Have You Started Thinking About or Planning Your 2017 VT Foliage Trip?

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:52 am

When you take the foliage ride at Stratton, don't forget to get directions to the fire tower. It's well worth it. Also, have a blue cheeseburger at the red fox tavern just outside town. It's also worth it. Also driving up equinox and the Mary Todd Lincoln estate.

markm

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:10 pm

No plans yet.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:23 am

The latest from Phil in Florida is that there are hardly any shells for him to pick BUT we are on for Lewis Pond! :D Tim our board owner is coming with a friend so if anyone needs any info on Lewis Pond please ask away! We are going mid week the first week of October, weather permitting, and also hoping for the roads to be in good condition. This will be my third venture into the Nulhegan Basin to seek Vermont's one and only golden chalice! The views will render you speechless! It is my favorite long view location in the entire state and worth the time and effort and long drive in. I'll try to find the directions on the forum and post here. CT

bv: Thanks for the recommendation on the restaurant. I've driven up Mt. Equinox Skyline Drive twice, once in summer for an SOV meetup and again in fall, truly amazing. Hildene is also beautiful, I went many years ago. I think I went horseback riding nearby but can't remember the stables. Hope to see you back here from Arizona this fall for a get together either in Vermont of Connecticut! :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Happy Spring to all of you foliage fanatics! :D With all of this snow on the ground from our recent blizzard, it sure doesn't look like spring, but oh was the sun so warm on my face today!

We are now just six months out 'till the first day of Autumn and before you know it, summer will be here! And then fall is just around the corner.... :mrgreen:

I'm still working here and there on my itinerary for the 12 days in Vermont in Sept/Oct and have a lot of amazing adventures in the line up! Wouldn't it be wonderful to have another season like 2016? :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat May 13, 2017 9:04 am

Hello to all and finally, spring has taken hold of the northeast (albeit unseasonably cool and rainy)! The canopies are lush and full and they are the harbingers of our exciting fall foliage leaf peeping adventures in Vermont, just about 4 months away (at least up north!). :)

I hope you are making your lodging reservations very soon, as small inns and B&B's fill up fast for prime time in Vermont. I think with all the rain we are having as of late, this is a good sign in part, for things to come! Our severe drought in Connecticut has been totally erased, with another deluge coming this Mother's Day Weekend. Keeping in mind that all the pieces of the foliage puzzle must come together in September - by mid-month, it should be a solid indication of our fall season in Vermont (barring wind storms and heat waves of course). As I have often said, Mother Nature holds the reins! :mrgreen:

I'll be up in Vermont a couple of times this summer to get my adrenaline rolling for autumn and can't wait for things to "fall" into place for the most wonderful season of all.

Hoping you have a great summer and are prepping your itineraries for your Vermont foliage vacations! :wink:

Rockwall Tim

Mon May 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Greetings from Texas! My wife and I will be making our 10th or 11th (lost count) visit to Vermont during the fall. Flying in on Oct. 8 and staying for 5 days. For the very first time, we are renting a secluded home...love the idea and the reviews for the place are outstanding.

Hope conditions are ideal that week...on our last visit two years ago, we scarcely saw a cloud for 4 days. The leaves hadn't peaked yet but we were close enough to peak to satisfy us.

See ya in October!
II Cor. 4:17

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Hello Texas Tim! Glad you secured your lodging! The thought of renting a secluded home sounds divine! I've often thought of renting a small house but oooooohhh, I love being served those 4-course breakfasts each morning at the different inns I stay at! :mrgreen: Waking up to the smell of pancakes, French toast, eggs, bacon, muffins and home fries drifting throughout the inn each morning is part of my total Vermont experience! (I hate cooking....). :roll:

Perhaps you can think about meeting up with the gang even if for a short time. Only 3 months and 2 weeks to go! :lol: I think we are in for another stellar year, one can only hope! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:54 am

oh yeah.... we are starting to get those random early mornings that tease of fall here in New England! 60 this morning with the smell of the earth reminiscent of early autumn! Low 50s in northern VT. There's nothing like opening up all the windows and letting the crisp, cool air filter throughout the house!

I also think that with all the rain we have been getting in New England lately we are in good shape for lush, full canopies. A good piece of the foliage puzzle for sure!

Two months and two weeks till the first day of autumn! :mrgreen:

FlCouple

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:51 am

Hi, We are a Central Florida couple planning on a trip to NH, VT, CT area to see the leaves change and just get a great feeling to start toward the Holiday Season. I travel a lot for work and have been around CT and NH quite a bit but have not had the opportunity to get to VT very much. The only place I have been is to Montpelier. I know my wife will LOVE VT.

Can someone provide a good 7 day itinerary and timeframe that would allow us to view the fall colors and take in some of the local flavor of the area? The last time I was in the area I stayed in Jackson NH and really loved the area.

B&B's would be great. We are Non-Smokers, and no pets.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:48 am

Hello Florida and welcome to our fantastic foliage forum! (FFF) :wink: First of all, what time frame were you thinking on planning to come to Vermont? We are just about 8 weeks away from the first day of autumn and it's pretty important to get lodging secured asap. Many places (including my 3 inns) are filled the first week of October with a bare spot here and there midweek only. The larger resorts at ski areas may offer more availability, worth checking it out! Are you flying into Boston, Bradley in CT or Burlington? Driving? What kinds of things do you like to do while on your trip? Are you hikers? Do you like to explore the back roads where you will be most rewarded?

Foliage spreads north to south beginning in the northernmost tiers of Vermont in the mid to latter part of September flowing south through Columbus Day Weekend and the following week into the Champlain Valley. This is a generalization of course, more certainty comes as we approach mid-September to get a better handle on the foliage. We still have the rest of July and August to get through, but the recent deluges of rains have been a bright spot (no pun intended) for all the factors coming together for the foliage displays!

Do you like to travel about from inn to inn in the north, central or southern part of Vermont, or do you want a home base from which to explore? All of these questions will help massage an itinerary for you both. As for me, I started out staying with a home base in Waitsfield years ago but now I am finding I'm loving exploring new inns and B&B's in the different locales. If you want a home base, Waitsfield is an awesome spot as well as White River Junction.

If you could respond as to your intentions as to a timeframe, choice of location and what activities you like to do, eat, etc. we could help you out a bit better! Thanks for joining our forum. If you peruse all the posts you will find excellent information on the how, when and where's of Vermont during the autumn season.

As I am from Northern CT, we typically peak around the Columbus Day Weekend except for the NW Hills which are a week earlier. I can help you with CT foliage, but first and foremost, let's get your Vermont trip moving! CT

FlCouple

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks Ctyanky for the info.

We are pretty open to timing, it just whats the best time to come.

We are pretty open to just about anything. We aren't into hiking but don't mind driving for day trips. Probably would like to stay in 1 location and trip out from there. And location isn't really an issue either.

Crafts and festivals are good for us as well as local dining. We are really just looking for a nice relaxing week or so in the NE to refresh and see some really nice scenery and unwind.

Probably fly into Boston and head up.

I know it isn't much to go on, but we are an open slate.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Hello again! Well that is a good start. By any chance, is the whole first week of October through Columbus Day Weekend a possibility? I think in Vermont, if you have a home base during this timeframe, it may be a safe bet for high color for travels north (think NEK: Northeast Kingdom) for the very first part of the week and places in central Vermont and south central Vermont for the end of the week and the holiday weekend. However, remember Columbus Day Weekend is the busiest foliage weekend in Vermont and New Hampshire so lodging could be tight unless you hop on it now.

I'm sure you have looked at flights already. Give serious consideration about flying into Bradley in Windsor Locks CT. It is RARELY crowded and being that it is set right smack in the countryside, getting in and out is a total breeze, basically traffic free with ease of car rentals. I'm afraid Boston could be a challenge getting out of the gridlock, unless you come in mid-week. Something to mull over after you check costs between the two. Also, if you choose Boston, secure your car rental at the same time you book the flights there! I've heard of people getting stuck with no rental cars available during foliage season as many head to the Whites first and then to Vermont!

That being said, a great home base would be Waitsfield in central Vermont's Mad River Valley, or as others have mentioned in various posts, White River Junction. Being partial to Waitsfield, I must say it has excellent inns, b&b's, fine dining and awesome local eateries.

http://www.madrivervalley.com/

Waitsfield has an amazing Saturday Farmer's Market with excellent entertainment, crafts, local farm produce, meats and vegetables.

http://waitsfieldfarmersmarket.com/

The Mad River Glen ski area has two weekend of lift rides up their famous single chair lift. The views are top notch! The festivals are the weekend before Columbus Day and also Columbus Day Weekend.

If you love fairs and festivals (my personal passion!) check the sticky at the top of the foliage forum under topics posted by the board administrator. I worked closely with him to get the link uploaded with the most recent autumn fairs and festivals.

In summary, before we pepper your seven day itinerary with fun and adventure and back roads, I would suggest getting your lodging and airfare now. Then we can plan some routes for you depending on where you are staying. One last note, did you choose Boston so you can do NH first? If so I would suggest the last weekend in September to start in the Whites. Then travel over to Vermont for the remaining five days.

I hope I have given you a head start on your foliage trip. Please don't hesitate to ask away for details and ideas. We are here to help and make your trip amazing in every way! CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 am

I love it when I can say, "I'm going to Vermont next month!" :D Time seems to be flying by quickly now. Pretty soon I'll be dragging my luggage down and just after Labor Day all my fall décor starts creeping out to display on my front door and stoop (much to the dismay of my neighbors, who are still hanging on to summer!). :mrgreen:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 am

I took my luggage down yesterday! It is part of my anticipation frenzy for the VT foliage vacation that I couldn't resist any longer :!: After Labor Day, which is fast approaching, I'll begin the staging area for accumulating my "stuff" for the trip! :mrgreen:

Yesterday I spent hiking two trails in NW CT to get in shape for my VT hiking and we saw a lot more dulling of the trees and tips of random treetops turning bright red and orange. Sensitive fern cover turned brown, indicated that temperatures had dipped into the 40's recently in the higher elevations where we hiked. Deep in the cool forest, you can actually "smell" the change....

The emerging flowers peaking out from the budding pumpkins that were recently planted in the fields were quite a sight to see! Also, a few signs along the back roads broadcasting fall festivals in Sept and Oct added to my anticipation of things to come. :D

I have my Delorme, Jimapco and Cartographic maps out and will begin to seek out new routes in the three places I have booked my inns at.

And lastly, I heard from Phil again and he is going to join the gang for our meetup either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of the first week in October. 8)

And time marches on.....................