2017 Foliage Trip HELP

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

mmazzarini

2017 Foliage Trip HELP

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Help. Haha, we are coming up to Vermont Sept 14th-19th for a race my husband is doing in Killington. Do you think we have any hope of seeing some color then? We were going to stay in Killington and then Stowe. Any recommendations for us? We have a 3yr and 1yr old and Ive been looking at rentals on VRBO and Air BNB, but was considering staying in a nice hotel in Stowe for two nights. THANK YOU!!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: 2017 Foliage Trip HELP

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Hello mm: Welcome to our amazing foliage forum! Glad you have reached out here for help. It is a good idea to start looking around for lodging but with the time period you've chosen, I don't think you will have too much trouble. It may be a tad early for color unless you are wayyyy up near the northern most tiers of VT or NH where it may be just beginning. Each season is different and there is no way to predict this early. Normally we can get a grip on things mid September.

As far as lodging, wow. So many choices. I have a friend who stays at the Killington Grand and LOVES it. Up on the mountain in Stowe you will find lots of great resorts and condos to rent. Have you thought about Burlington? There are TONS of things to do there and shopping and restaurants galore! Please check that out if you have time as well.

Hopefully, folks who stay in these areas can chime in for some recommendations of their own. I'm already booked for 10 days the end of September through Columbus Day Weekend. One of the places I've chosen is filled already! Could be that last season was SPECTACULAR! :D

I'll get some more info together in the days ahead. Can anyone come out of the depths of winter to help our new forum member?

Welcome mmazzarini! So glad you have joined our forum! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

mmazzarini

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:20 am

Thank you so much for the response! We changed our trip to fly into Boston and drive to Ludlow, VT on October 8th to the 11th. Hoping to do day trips from there and to see a lot on our drive to and from Boston. We have a 3yr and 1yr old so we have to plan accordingly. I am so excited though, this is truly a bucket list trip for me. My husband is in the NAVY and will be leaving the east coast shortly after this trip so I really want to make the most of our time there. I welcome any and all recommendations. THANKS

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:02 pm

mazzarini: that's excellent that you changed your timeframe and you will be in a nice central location and in prime time for great foliage! Seeing that you are coming during the latter part of Columbus Day Weekend, THE busiest time of the foliage season in VT, I would recommend starting to get serious about lodging in the next couple of months. Many places book a year in advance but you still have time. You are off to a great start and in the next few months, more folks will be coming on the forum to help with ideas and recommendations on back roads and things to do with your little ones.

It would help if you could let us know what your family likes to do for activities, i.e. are you outdoor types, hiking with the kids, like foliage and pumpkin festivals or corn mazes? There are many scenic chair lift and gondola rides during foliage season at the ski resorts and that could be a fun adventure for the family. Boat rides on Lake Champlain might also be of interest.

Once you get your lodging secured, let us know and ask away about all things Vermont and you will get the most valuable responses from our locals here as well as from our seasoned foliage forum travelers to the great state of Vermont! Looking forward to hearing from you on your trip planning! I hope we can make this a special trip for you before your husband goes on duty from the Navy. :D CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Hello again: I just thought of a "Must Do" Day trip for you and the family. You will love Billings Farm in Woodstock!

http://billingsfarm.org/

This is a great fun-filled day that is perfect for your little ones! Adults as well! I was there last year with another forum member and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Please check out the website and see if it appeals to you. I'm sure it will!

If you can arrive to Ludlow early and settle in, you will be able to go to their Harvest Weekend:

http://billingsfarm.org/event/harvest-weekend

As long as you are in Ludlow, stop at the Green Mountain Sugarhouse for a maple creemee! A maple soft serve ice cream that is to die for! They have all kinds of maple products made right on the premises, and you will come home with an abundance of Vermont gifts and goodies! A must stop while in town!

http://www.gmsh.com/