Off Topic - Deerfield,Mass Photos

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Utah Baker

Off Topic - Deerfield,Mass Photos

Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:52 pm

Some photos from our stop in Deerfield and a reminder to watch your step. Waiting from across the street for a gentleman to finish taking his photo, as I started to cross the street as he finished, turned and promptly tripped on the broken and uneven pavement landing face first. I ran to him quite worried as he did not move at first. A badly cut hand and some cuts on his face, he was a tourist from England. Found his group and got him taken care of, but it was a good reminder to watch your step while out there taking photos.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/146248444@N06/cgL7P3

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Off Topic - Deerfield,Mass Photos

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:06 am

Janice: so glad you got to Old Deerfield. It is a "must see" for anyone touring New England. It is certainly a step back in time! I love your historic home photos and the original doors which remain on most of their entry ways. They do it up quite beautifully for autumn, but Old Deerfield is gorgeous in any season! I'm up there frequently, they have an amazing craft fair on the grounds in the fall which is A LOT of fun! The graveyard is so old and the epitaphs on the stones have a long historical significance which require some google searching as to what some of them signify. Many people go back to Old Deerfield often as it is such a "secret" type of place to visit, off the main road. Like it was meant to be special and "preserved". Thanks again for the great photos! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Utah Baker

Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Thanks CT! Yes, I would highly recommend a stop there if your in the area. The house tour guides were wonderful, wish we had more time there, by the time we had taken all the guided house tours and a short break for lunch and photos, our day was gone, didn't get to the self guided homes. That just means we'll have to go back sometime! In the past we have been to Sturbridge Village, Plymouth Plantation and the Shaker Canterberry Village. Love these kinds of historical sites. New England has so much to offer, love it!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:12 am

Janice: I haven't been to Shaker yet but that has been on my bucket list for years! They have great events going on there all the time so maybe I can fit it in very soon. :D

markm

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:32 am

Good selection of stuff to get there. There's a bunch of photo opportunities in town especially once you start walking around the side roads. Other off topic interests are the Yankee Candle and a butterfly house if you get back there again.

Utah Baker

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:51 am

Thanks,markm! All sounds like good stuff, always so much to see and so little time.