Smugglers Notch & Stowe

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Utah Baker

Smugglers Notch & Stowe

Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Wow, what stunning morning! Frost/snow on the peaks of the mountains with gorgeous color beaneath, skies giving way to the bluest skies and puffy white clouds. Brisk,....I'll say, but turned into a golden afternoon. Lincoln Gap road starting to fade just a little, but still lots of color, a little breeze drifting leaves on the road infront of us, oh how I love it! Got our cider & donuts at Cold Hollow, we are happy campers!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Smugglers Notch & Stowe

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:26 pm

Janice: I am so happy for you! I can just picture you tooling about the back roads with your hubby with a huge smile on your face and planning your next day! Enjoy every blissful moment! I love reading your exciting posts every day.

I will probably come up Sunday to Southern VT either the SW or SE corner. Have a ball! :D

Utah Baker

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks CT! And thanks to all the contributors here who help to make Vermont dreams come true!

Sunday we'll be heading down to Historic Deerfield Mass. Been wanting to go there for a long time. Then a day in Salem for a little Halloween fun before flying out from Boston to Nashville to spend a week with my son & family. My wonderful Autumn adventure,I am blessed! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:38 am

Janice: brrrr it is COLD here! You are going to love Old Deerfield! Any chance you can get to the Western side of the state to Bennington before you leave for Deerfield? Reason being, if you take route 7 south until you hit route 2 you will be able to take the scenic Mohawk Trail out of North Adams right back to 91. From there you will get to Deerfield. Route 2 is beautiful and should be at that time. Stop at Goulds Sugarhouse for breakfast after the summit!

Deerfield, wow. I go almost every other year. I bet you will find the Old Burying Ground the best part. It is small but full of settlers graves with incredible stone façades and period markings at the top of the stones. You can do a bit of research when you get home about what the drawings mean. Your walking tour would demand at least 2 hours of your time because of the museum. Make sure you walk behind Deerfield Academy - a gem in itself - to all the old historic homes! They will have all their fall décor out! Walk to the end near the ball park. When you exit the Old Deerfield site, check the houses on your left for their well known autumn displays of pumpkins and gourds! It is a phot op town to say the least. You will be captivated by the town's preservation of the historic homes' front doors! This is one of MA's prime sites and I know you will love it! Salem, another "treat"! The House of Seven Gables my favorite. Wait till you go there! I will keep the rest a secret! :mrgreen:

Utah Baker

Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:52 am

Wow, thanks CT, for the "insider" information on Deerfield. We'll be sure to check it out and take you route. I've been to Salem a couple of times, such a fun place! Another beautiful day up at Smugglers, crystal clear skies and the colors are incredible, but indeed chilly! Have a great day!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:32 pm

Janice: you might like to eat at the Deerfield Inn (historic) tap room. Check the menu for selection/pricing first. Then go downstairs to the café, we preferred to eat there instead. Let me know how it goes, very interested in your thoughts on the whole scene and especially the graveyard!

There are a couple of incredible country stores chock full of autumn everything on the main road just outside the cutoff to Old Deerfield. Have a ball there! :lol:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:51 pm

P.S. Janice, keep a good eye on the doors of all the historic homes in Old Deerfield. You'll know what I mean when you get there. You'll definitely want to photograph them.

Utah Baker

Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks CT, you've got me very excited to go there, sounds like I'm going to love it!

Utah Baker

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:23 pm

Ct, the plan was to go down Rt 7 to Bennington and across 9 to Brattleboro then Deerfield. Which do you think would be best?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Janice: in order to save time, 9 is the better route. To get to the Mohawk Trail (route 2 in MA) you need to go south of Benn to Williamstown MA (not that far, just a tad down the road from Pownal). Williams College is at the rotary here to take 2 and the college is GORGEOUS. Route 2 takes you through North Adams and then starts the slow climb up the mountain to the hairpin curve with amazing long views and ample parking. The MT is probably at it's best right now. However, I'm concerned about your time frame first and foremost. Although I would hate for you to miss the MT, you should spend more time in Deerfield. So.....

Route 9 should be at peak now and I think you should go for it. Woodford through Searsburg will be the hot spot. The reservoir on the right is very low. Sad! You may hit congestion in Wilmington BUT stop here! The transformation of the town from the effects of Irene are mind blowing. See my post on my visit. If you are hungry, stop at Dots Restaurant and you will love it! Across from the restaurant is the new architecturally designed rock pathway near the river. It's a must see. I'll include my post here so you don't have to search for it. There are TONS of very cool shops, may be hard to resist!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3563

Anyways, route 9 is long until you get to Bratt to pick up 91 south. I somewhat waiver between 9 and 2 - the color into Williamstown is gorgeous but 9 is hot right now and I think you will save some time on it to get to Deerfield. The cool thing on Route 7 in Benn is the Apple Barn and I just planned a trip for a coworker and they loved it. Then in Pownal, there is a pumpkin farm and they have all the pumpkins on the hill saying VERMONT. What a place! Guess you will have to save it for next year. :wink:

In summary, take 9 for the peak in the areas mentioned in the highlands. This is Charles' territory (ixl). I think this is the way to go, so to speak! Also, the new welcome center in Benn at the new 279 overpass is awesome, although kind of a crazy construction and a bit confusing. Inside is amazing! Just a thought!

Let me know what you think about 9 vs 2. One is VT and one is MA and they both have a lot to offer in terms of color, views, etc. I just can't wait to hear about Old Deerfield. I've been four or five times and never tire of it! CT

Utah Baker

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks again CT, for all the info, we'll probably stick with RT9.

Stayed around Smugglers, Jeffersonville and Stowe today exploring the resort and the back roads. Absolutely gorgeous color here still, leaves starting to dance infront of us in the breeze. The dark skies and rain made the colors deepen, almost jewel like. The hillside at the Stowe Gondola was absolutely radiant. So impressed with how long the colors have held.

Andy

Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:30 am

Utah. Spend a lot of time during my youth in that area. It is pretty magical in fall when things come together. Glad you had a good stay there. It is a favorite area of mine in Vermont
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .