Gap Rides: App Gap, Lincoln, Middlebury and Brandon

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Gap Rides: App Gap, Lincoln, Middlebury and Brandon

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:07 am

Hello all! Has anyone been on the four gaps yet and can update the color? I'm taking 17 (Appalachian Gap) Friday morning, down 116 and across the Middlebury Gap to meet bm, then down 100 to 73 to 30. bm has some nice roads to show me in Goshen and Brandon. Not sure about the Lincoln Gap yet. I'm hoping at least two of them have good color, especially 125! Thanks! CT

Appalachian Gap: 17
MiddleburyGap: 125
Brandon Gap: 73

not sure Lincoln Gap has a route number!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Gap Rides: App Gap, Lincoln, Middlebury and Brandon

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello! Today I rode the three gaps from beginning to end (except Lincoln) on another perfect top ten day! Took highway 17 out of Waitsfield to Mad River Glenn which is nearing peak and should be great this weekend. I understand that the single chair lift rides up the mountain are on this coming weekend (could be their Green and Gold Weekend). If you have not done the single chair lift during foliage season here, put this on your list of things to do for a super experience! You will not regret it. The ride to the top is glorious and you will become one with Mother Nature. :wink: It is a slow and a purely visual and thrilling ride up the mountain! You are really out there on that single chair lift but don't be nervous! :lol: Views at the summit are insane and the hiking trails just perfect! From MRG to the summit was gorgeous! There was some traffic holdups while they were installing guard rails (per the flag man) which took only a few minutes to clear. The view was outstanding with lots of reds AGAIN in the mountains but it is not full peak yet so this weekend should be utterly amazing. Each time I drive down 17 it gets less and less intimidating and now I feel like it is just another downhill road! :lol: I took 116 all the way to the Middlebury Gap (very green with only a few patches of peak but still call it early). Nonetheless, it is a relaxing drive and the town of Bristol has some nice places to eat! So, the Middlebury Gap is peak at the summit with the foliage on fire behind Breadloaf Campus! (Yellow buildings which add a burst of color to your photos!). There are many places to pull over on the road at the campus and you can pull into the rear lot to get a closer shot. As I drove down 125 to Hancock there was less color but coming on strong! I continued on 100 to the Brandon Gap (73) and it was more impressive than I can remember from years ago. The summit was almost in peak and it is simply a gorgeous drive with outstanding long views west at the summit. Mount Horrid is there and I think Dean is a regular there for hiking! I really loved the drive and wish I could have had more time for a hike in a couple of the trailheads. Maybe next year! I took 73 all the way until it hit route 30 as I traveled to my next weekend destination. Color disappeared here so I think if there is not wind or heavy rain, this area will be in peak in a week and Vermont will be in for quite a glorious and extended season! :D

Saturday, Sunday - October 8-9

See the amazing foliage from the summit of Stark Mountain. Ride "The Single" America's favorite chairlift on Saturday and Sunday - Lift rides are not offered on Monday. The lift will be open for loading from 10 AM to 2:30 PM). Cost: Lift Rides:$10 for adults, $5 for kids