St Johnsbury Area Updates

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

From_the_NEK

St Johnsbury Area Updates

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:36 am

10/3 Morning:
Some hillsides aren't quite there:
ImageSeven Days Later by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Others are coming into peak:
ImageIMG_6784 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6777 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6766 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6765 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

This could be one of the best foliage seasons ever this year. Most area north (and higher in elevation) of here is peak and the forecast for the next week has virtually no wind and no heavy rain. In other words, nothing that is going to knock the leaves off very fast. By Wednesday, it will look like a color bomb went off around here.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: St Johnsbury Area Updates

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:59 am

Hi Tim: beautiful shots! I'm off to the NEK with Tim our board owner all day today! Can't wait! Will report back tonight! Keep the photos coming as I think you mentioned you were taking Wednesday off. CT

courtmel

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:59 am

Absolutely fantastic! Heading up to Burlington today. Hoping for some soul stirring sights!
autumn leaf

From_the_NEK

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:47 pm

ctyanky wrote:Hi Tim: beautiful shots! I'm off to the NEK with Tim our board owner all day today! Can't wait! Will report back tonight! Keep the photos coming as I think you mentioned you were taking Wednesday off. CT
I was going to take Wednesday off but due to work it has changed to Thursday. If you and Carol are back from central VT on Thursday let me know. I will be around.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:44 pm

Hey Tim: I'm thinking of Groton State Forest, Seyon Pond and hiking Owls Head on Thursday OR going back to the NEK! I haven't decided which area is beckoning me yet. After being in the NEK today, it's really not a hard choice! :D I need to find a hiking buddy for Owls Head in the alternative. I don't like solo hiking but there are a lot of folks up there now so it might be fine. Last year was not peak at the summit but this might be the perfect time!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

minnesotaman

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:36 pm

CT, if you stay in the NEK tomorrow, try Wheeler Pond. I was there this morning. It was quite spectacular. A few trees have begun to drop leaves on the west side so I would get there in the next two days.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Hey Minn: I may try on Thursday then. I was going to go to Groton State Forest and Owls Head and Noyes Pond. I don't know what to do now. I'm sure Wheeler Pond was as spectacular as Long Pond and Jobs Pond. I feel like the NEK is calling me back and I didn't get to do Island Pond! I want to go back on 114 again. Sigh. NEK. Groton. NEK. Groton. Help! :lol:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi Minn: hope you made it back to Minnesota ok and have a wonderful weekend. You are lucky to be coming back here Tuesday! bm and I passed by your little rental in Woodstock on our way to Joe Ranger Road! Cute!

Anyways, I wanted to tell you I decided to go back to the NEK! And we went to Wheeler Pond and indeed, it was spectacular! My friend and I liked it so much he even took a card from the realtor about the land available for purchase, 100 acres, the pond and a cabin! It was a perfect time to go and we headed up Wheeler Mtn. Rd a bit but turned around due to time constraints. Soooooooooooo glad we went! Stopped at Bean Pond too. That was super nice and at peak and so was Wheeler. Amazing! :D

From_the_NEK

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:53 pm

The foliage is most definitely past peak here in the northern NEK. Points south of St Johnsbury should still have some good color (e.g. Peacham) but I haven't been there so I don't have first hand knowledge.
However, even if you still plan on driving around here, all is not lost! There are pockets of color and great individual tree that make great viewing and subjects for photography.

These are from this morning (I had 26 degrees on my house thermometer this morning):

ImageFall Scene by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageNorthDanville by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageFrosted Leaf by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageClover by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageFountain2 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

From_the_NEK

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:48 pm

It is still going out there. Most places are well past peak. However, if you know where to look...

This morning (10/17 in Sutton):
ImageMorning Highlights by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageWall of Yellow2 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageFoggy Morning Past Peak by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Beautiful Tim! you do know where to look! Love the wall of yellow2! :D

Our show is just beginning down here in CT and I'm out now on the weekends in the NW and NE corners! Still mid stage here in the NW hills so this weekend should be perfect! I was surprised how late it was in North Canaan and Norfolk when I was there Sunday. Just over a week behind.

Come on down! :wink:

From_the_NEK

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:19 pm

Yesterday evening (Sunday 23rd), Peacham.

ImagePeacham and Mountain Snow by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

The strong winds today have stripped most leaves that were still on (save for some sparse oaks, cottonwoods, and poplar). The next few days we have the Tamaracks and then it will be finished until next year.
It was such a fun season and it was great to finally meet some SOV members.
Last edited by From_the_NEK on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Yowzah! What a grand finale shot to end the season up there! Kudos to you, it is GORGEOUS!!!! It was great to meet you as well and I thank you again for signing my Vermont Life Magazine on your winning spread! :D I will look forward to your winter scenes as the months roll on. I have a feeling I'll be seeing something of yours published in the near future!

See you in Sept/Oct 2017! Staying at Seyon Lodge a couple of days, never to early to start planning! 8)

From_the_NEK

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:52 am

Thanks everyone :)
Carol, you are correct that is Franconia Ridge (peaks of Lafayette and Lincoln).

I had first captured the classic view of the barn, church, cows and mountains view. But the Presidential Range (Mt Washington) was still mostly obscured by clouds.

ImagePeacham at Sunset by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

So I picked up my tripod with camera and big lens still attached and sprinted to the far end of the slushy snow covered field just in time to catch the scene with the last moments of alpine-glow on the Franconia range.

Kerry29

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:48 am

I've long stated my belief that telephoto lenses are badly underused in scenic photography. I really like what you did here, Tim. Kudos.