Foliage Update

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Foliage Update

Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi Kerry: Carol just told me you will be joining us Monday when I get to Barton after my weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting you and seeing where Carol is taking me. I just go wherever she tells me this trip! :mrgreen: Glad you are meeting her Tuesday morning. It's my only day to lounge around her house until the adventures begin again! See you soon!

kcflanders

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Kerry29 wrote:A few more thoughts on water levels, based on my experiences today. I spent the first 2/3 of the day way up north, in the Kennebec Valley of Maine. All the rivers and brooks (etc.) that I saw up there seemed to be in good shape. The back end of the day was spent in Evans Notch--much farther south (and west), on the Maine/New Hampshire border. Water levels in the notch seemed very low to me.

Take that for what little it's worth.
Thank you. I'll be up Late Sunday. My itinerary somewhat mirrors yours but a week later.

Kerry29

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Here's the latest foliage update based on my travels. I drove through Evans Notch this morning (yesterday afternoon as well). It's still very green in there...pockets of color, but overwhelmingly green--that includes Basin Pond. Of course, there's a ton of birch in the notch, which probably explains things, at least in part.

I drove the entire length, east to west, of the Kancamagus Hiwy this morning and afternoon. It's not quite at peak yet, but I'm guessing that the higher elevations and much of the western end will be within the next few days, depending on conditions. I also drove (quickly) through Franconia Notch and that looked a lot like the western end of the Kanc--within a few days of peak.

I got to St. Johnsbury at about 5 PM and just had time to scout Darling Hill Rd. in Lydon; it's still mostly green up there. It's not quite Evans Notch, but it has a ways to go yet. It's supposed to be completely cloudy tomorrow and I'll probably spend the day touring around various parts of the NEK. Will try to provide an update tomorrow evening.

From_the_NEK

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:35 pm

I came across this aerial video of Lewis Pond in my Facebook feed. It is from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... jh_T5oQjZY

Kerry29

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:44 pm

abby wrote:Thanks for the excellent report Kerry. Sounds like Franconia Notch NH must have really exploded this past week because it was mostly green this past Sunday. From your report, it sounds like it should be really good when I drive through it this Sunday on my way to VT.
I'm disappointed to hear that the Darling Hill area is still mostly green. It was that way last weekend as well. The changing of the colors seems to be very hit or miss this year as far as timing goes. From my experience last weekend, a few spots were close to 40 % along, but just a few miles away were only about 10%. It does not seem to be following the typical pattern of progression. However, the good news is that this might make the season a bit longer.
I've noticed a lot of the same things you're describing--where an area is pretty well developed and a spot very nearby has barely any change at all. When I was driving through Fanconia Notch (and, yes, I think it will be in very good shape in a couple of days) I noticed a large clump of birches in the I-91 median that were bright yellow. This really caught my eye as most of the birches I've seen everywhere--from Maine to the Kancamagus Pass--have been either completely green or in the early stages of transition. This group was yellow. And, across the road, maybe 200 feet away, there was an even larger clump of birches that were as green as green can be. Very odd.

{quote]One question for you.....you mentioned Franconia Notch and some of the Kanc should be peak within a few days. How would you describe the colors that you are seeing? Would you say they look to be vibrant?[/quote]

Yes. Where I'm seeing color--and it's overwhelmingly reds, maroons and oranges that I'm seeing, with yellows in the early stages, be they birches, beeches, silver maples, etc.--the colors are quite bright. That's been true in all the areas of New England I've visited to date.
I would say your best bet for this weekend is to head North along Rte 114 and then rte 105 up to Island Pond and the Bloomfield areas. That's where I saw the best colors last weekend so I think they should be good this weekend.
Thanks! I will definitely do that.
I just saw a post where someone heard that the Jay Peak area is seeing good color so you may want to check that out. I would recommend that you take Rte 122 North through Wheelock and Sheffield. Keep a close eye out for a very small turn off (very small being the key word) on your right hand side somewhere in the Wheelock/Sheffield area on your right. If you happen to see this little turn off, park there and there is a very very short trail to a really nice waterfall. From here continue Rte 122 to the end. Take a right onto Rte 16 and go through Glover. You may want to stop at the Red Sky Trading Shop in Glover Center. It's an adorable little shop (red barn) and the owner Sherri makes THE BEST homemade goodies. If you happen to see her or her husband Doug, please tell them that I said hello and sent you there. You won't be disappointed and your taste buds and tummy will thank me.
From here, keep going Rte 16 into Barton. Take a left onto Elm Street which turns into Burton Hill Road. It's a roller coaster type dirt road with some beautiful views and farms. This will take you into Irasburg Village. You may or may not want to stop and photograph the village green and church. Take a left after you pass the village green then take your immediate right. In about 3/4 mile turn left onto Rte 58. Colors were looking good here last week so should be decent this weekend. Follow this road all the way to Lowell Rte 100. Go straight across Rte 100 and this turns into Hazens Notch Road. Take a right onto Green Hill Road and check out McAllister Pond. Keep going straight after the pond and take the left onto Monteith Road. Some nice views up there. This will loop you back to Hazens Notch Road where you will take a right. If you want to get out and do some hiking take a left onto Rossier Road. Park at the end (High Ponds Farm) and there are some nice trails there. Or, just keep going on Hazens Notch Road and it will bring you into Montgomery.
This is priceless...thanks VERY much for the detailed directions/suggestions. I will give this circuit a run tomorrow and report back. Looking forward to this excursion.
I'm looking forward to your update tomorrow evening, and also looking forward to seeing you on Monday. I just got an email from Andy. That man is JEALOUS!
I was going to say something--possibly something snotty--but I thought better of it and will keep my trap shut. :)

Fallleafechidna

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:22 pm

Hmm not sure what to make the latest Lewis Pond video. Maybe the trees that will go super red are all just about a peak and yet everything else looks like might be until Sunday to Wednesday before peak. I wonder if any bright reds will hang on when the rest arrives or if it will be a very staged sort of turning where you never get everything just insane at once like in 2012.

Fallleafechidna

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:31 pm

What's the timing like of Lewis typically like compared to Wheeler and the other cool one near there? I've never actually been to Lewis.

harley0711

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:15 am

Goodmorning to everyone. We are from Calif and on our way to VT and NH for the colors - our third trip since 09. We have to visit family in Buffalo until Wednesday morning when we head to Burlington, VT = usually we start at the top of highway 100 and work our way south..

Question, how are the colors today 10-1-16 and where would the best place to start on the 5th??? any good spots to drive to? also drive over to NH if needed or suggested. We have stayed at a place way north in NH called 'Robbies cabins'

Thanks
Last edited by harley0711 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:12 am

abby wrote: . . . . . . I just got an email from Andy. That man is JEALOUS! :mrgreen:
Carol
Which part of "I hate you all" made you think I was jealous?? :lol:
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

harley0711

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Any updates from today 10/01??

Kerry29

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Here's the latest from today's adventures. I drove around a pretty good chunk of the NEK this morning and afternoon. The route, basically, was as follows: 114 from Lyndonville to 105 (just west of Island Pond); 105 nearly to North Stafford; 105 west to 5A (near East Charleston); 5A south to the north end of Lake Willoughby; 16 west to Barton; Burton Hill Rd. west to Irasburg; 58 west all the way to Montgomery Center; 118 south to Eden; 100 north to Lowell; then 58 east to I-91. That pretty well shot the day.

The best color I saw was in and around Island Pond--pretty much, actually, from Newark Pond Rd. off 114 and 105 in the Island Pond area. That area is basically at peak; the only laggards are the birches which are still mostly green (but in the process of transitioning to yellow). The reds are absolutely amazing there right now. The colors, generally, are extremely vibrant (this is true just about everywhere I went--it's just that the Island Pond area was furthest along) and I have no doubt that the on-and-off light rain today made the colors pop even more than they would have otherwise. Most of the other areas were looking good--strong reds and oranges--but a bit behind what I saw at Island Pond. I did visit May Pond, near Barton, and that's at peak too. McAllister Pond, west of Lowell, was also at or very near peak. Pensioner Pond, near West Charleston, isn't as far along. As you might imagine, generally speaking, the higher elevations are further along than the lower ones, but some mountainsides are essentially at peak while others are still at least a few days away.

Generally speaking, the areas I visited in the NEK are in very good shape; they're either at peak or very close to being so right now. Weather today was completely overcast with (as I mentioned) occasional light rain. The forecast for the next couple of days is more or less identical, which should allow peak color to hang around for some time. Light rain should keep things from drying out without knocking much down; temperatures are supposed to be moderate (no cold nights are forecast) and winds very light.

Fallleafechidna

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:55 pm

@Kerry29

Thanks!

Would you say Willoughby is about this far along today? Less? More?:

and would you say it's as brilliant or anything like:

and timing compared to the above?
that was the amazing 2012 but I also recall we went back ther eon the way home just like two days maybe three later and it was just gone, way past peak nothing

or also nearby?:

oh and what is the color and timing compared to Wheeler as seen here OCt 3 2012:

It matters since I'm trying to bug someone to go this year but they are sort of busy and if it's just mediocre to avg this year or if tuesday would be too late.... don't want to press them too overboard. Even anyone PM me and don't publicly post if need be.
Last edited by Fallleafechidna on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fallleafechidna

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:56 pm

above shots were 10/2 in 2012

Kerry29

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Really hard to say re Lake Willoughby, though my best guess is that, right now, it's somewhere between your first and second images. The visibility was awful while I was there. I was at the north end and I could barely see the cliffs on the south end of the lake; there was that much fog/mist. Can't help re Wheeler Pond, as I didn't check it.

I can't really make a direct comparison to 2012, since I didn't see the conditions with my own eyes, but to my mind, the colors this year are anything but mediocre. I've photographed copiously in Michigan's Upper Peninsula--which contains the same basic tree species as northern New England--and what I saw today compares favorably with the best fall color I've seen in the UP. Take that for what it's worth.

And I very much doubt that Tuesday will be "too late" just about anywhere...at least anywhere I've seen thus far. Three days from now I would expect most or all of the NEK to be at peak color. Nothing about the forecast weather between now and then should produce past-peak conditions.

From_the_NEK

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:05 am

Great report Kerry. I found the same conditions between Lyndonville, Barton, and Newark in the driving around for various places I was going yesterday. With the forecast weather conditions for the next week, The Monday-Wednesday timeframe will be the bullseye for conditions here in the NEK. It has the potential to be equal or better than 2012 since the reds are amazing right now and they should hold on through mid-week.

Wheeler pond yesterday. The reds were mind blowing and the oranges and yellows need a couple more days to finish their change. The eastern slopes of Barton Mtn (near May Pond) looked to be peak too.
ImageWheelerPond1 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageWheelerPond2 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Bean Pond (along Route 5 in the valley below Wheeler Pond). The oranges and yellows have a couple more days to go.
ImageBeanPond1 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Sutton:
ImageSutton1 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Newark looking east toward the mountainsides on the East Haven side of Route 114.
ImageMaple Ridge by Tim_NEK, on Flickr