Suggestions for this Friday

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bvahjen

Suggestions for this Friday

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi all, I will be making my first NEK day trip this Friday. I have had a place in Chester VT for 10 years but could never get to the NEK. I will have the wife and daughter who are more into the small towns/shops part of it so can you recommend a day trip would work for them? I am thinking Newport, Island Pond, Waitsfield, etc. All hints appreciated.

ixl

Re: Suggestions for this Friday

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:59 pm

Just to warn you, the long-range model I follow has been consistently showing this Friday as the only very wet day predicted in the next 8. If there's any way you can make that day trip another day, it might pay off.

This is subject to change of course, but that's how it is looking right now. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

bvahjen

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:54 am

Murphy is my guiding angel!

Andy

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:51 am

Just FYI, Waitsfield is not in the NEK :D. If you drive up 100, you will go through Waitsfield (south of I-89, Waterbury and Stowe). If you take any detours on back roads, you just might find yourself hijacked and never make to the NEK! If it is your first time there and based on what your SO's seem to like, I would be sure to make a stop in Peacham. To me, it is the quintessential traditional old Vermont town (be warned, however that there are no public bathrooms there anywhere!).

The cemetary, the field behing the fire station gives the scene of the barn you have probably seen many times, and all there roads in the vicinity have magical, Vermont Views.

If you go up the east side of the state, you could go through Waits River and see that scene - but frankly, unless you are a photographer looking for the iconic shot, I wouldn't bother.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:26 am

Colors here on route 100 in Hyde Park are looking great. Should be peaking this weekend. The Northeast Kingdom should be the same.

bvahjen

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks Andy, waitsfield and Peacham it is! Appreciate the feedback.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:50 am

bhavjen: are you guys going to the Newfane festival this weekend? I'll let you know if I go up either Saturday or Sunday! 8) Will call you if/when I get there to see how your day went!

Also, the East Warren Road out of Warren (stop at Blueberry Lake on Plunkton) should be nice right into the Common Road.

admin
Site Admin

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:52 am

Was in Peacham yesterday, and it was good for the barn shot, but the rest of the area was not as far progressed as north of St. Johnnsbury.. The best color I saw yesterday was route 5 from Barton to Burke, but at this point my cards were full. See my Peacham video from yesterday here:
http://www.video-vermont.com/video/peacham-in-the-fall/

Going to Willoughby and Stannard Mtn today. Willoughby, the south end, should only be viewed in the morning.

bvahjen

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Well, I went on my tour today just in case the weather is awful tomorrow. Went north from Chester on I-91 to exit 17 and took 302 to Groton. The peak seemed to be just north of exit 15 on 91' but I know it's subjective and obviously altitude dependent. Then I went north to Peacham, and continued on to Danville. Nothing interesting there foliage wise, but when I turned onto route 2 and headed west, the action began. You know the spots because the out of state cars are stopped on the road to take pictures! I took 2 west to Montpelier and then one exit on 89 to 100B. Wow, 100 south from Moretown to Rochester was amazing. Breathtaking including Moss Glen Falls which was in a literal canyon of peak foliage. The craziest thing was when I got close to Okemo I took a detour to Belmont of all places and found a pond with killer reds. I don't think the weather could have been better and absolutely No Leaf Drop!! The intense sun made for lower color intensity for photos, now I know why you guys get up early! I am downloading the photos now so hope to have them up tonight. I'm no photographer, so these will be just for documentation. A bit of humor, the best Reds other than Belmont, we're on the hairpin turn out of Weston..they were so gorgeous a vermonter with a green plate was stopped in the middle of the road to look. When I came up behind they slowly drove away. Now that's good foliage when the locals stop!!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:06 am

Great report BV! So happy for you. That stretch of road from Moretown to Granville was super nice when I was there last week. What was the name of the pond where you found all the reds? It would be nice to post here for others. Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend. After today, looks great! :D

P.S. Are you going up to Chester the next few weekends as well?

mgdolly86

Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:38 pm

admin wrote:Was in Peacham yesterday, and it was good for the barn shot, but the rest of the area was not as far progressed as north of St. Johnnsbury.. The best color I saw yesterday was route 5 from Barton to Burke, but at this point my cards were full. See my Peacham video from yesterday here:
http://www.video-vermont.com/video/peacham-in-the-fall/

Going to Willoughby and Stannard Mtn today. Willoughby, the south end, should only be viewed in the morning.
Could i please check how to reach on Jays' peak from St Johnsbury or Newport? I cant seem to find directions to reach the peak :cry: ?

From_the_NEK

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:33 pm

The easiest access is from the I-91 exit 26 for Orleans, VT

https://goo.gl/maps/B4WQLxF4Ln12

bvahjen

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:39 pm

To get to jay peak from Newport, take 105 west to 101 south to 242 west. You will come to the access road off 242.

bvahjen

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:46 pm

We said to heck with the weather and drove from Chester to Newport today on 91. Good ride, some rain, but the weather in Newport was Much better than in Chester. The colors from about mile marker 150 north were amazing. Even through the low clouds the west side of 91 just south of mile marker was all bright orange. Lots of fire reds before and after that. Had lunch at The Cow Palace (thanks CT!) and then visited the elk out back. Shopped the Pick and Shovel and then headed back. A good day was had. What a season, not peak yet and no leaf drop!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:31 pm

You are welcome BV! Glad you liked it! Makes me feel good when I suggest something that turns out well.

I played with the elks first and then could not eat my elk burger. :( Had to order something else..... :?

But the front entrance is a sight to behold nonetheless........... :lol: