Favorite VT moment/memory - let's share ours!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy

Re: Favorite VT moment/memory - let's share ours!

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:13 am

Great topic, MM: I like it so much, I want it to stay at the top (at least for a while), so I have made it a "Sticky" topic.

I will have to search around for my own favorite Vermont Memory. I have a clear memory of the day, but the photograph isn't mine :-). Carol took it, so if I cannot find the jpg she sent me a couple years back, I may need to ask her for a copy. I am SURE she know the secret :-)
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Oh Geez. I completely FORGOT about "that" one :mrgreen: . Yeah, I meant the next one - you know the one I mean. And I looked high and low for it, so please - yes, send it to me.

In the meantime, let me tell everyone about my SECOND FAVORITE Vermont Memory - which is an extremely close second to my favorite (coming soon).

I joined here back in 2005 and it became an important "community" for me. I have had the great pleasure of moderating here and being the starter and moderator of the photography forum (with Tim's indulgence and support). I have met some really great friends here. One stands out in a big way and we will be honoring his memory in 2015 with the "GEORGE CAMP" SOV REUNION.

After many enjoyable exchanges here and by private e-mail, I finally had the pleasure to meet George Camp - known as GIC here, in 2010. We spent a fun day together being guided by Carol around the Northeast Kingdom. George joined me for 2 additional days during that week (driving up from his Massachusetts home each time). I have laughed a lot during my lifetime - but never more and never more genuinely than with George! George, Rich and I spent one afternoon searching for waterfall images, and the one I will always most remember is the unnamed falls George discovered, which we named "George's Falls." They SO illustrate George's sense of humor! I will treasure that memory for a lifetime, as alas, I never got to see George again. George left this world after a valiant and good natured struggle with cancer, in 2011,

so here's to George:

George and Yanneth Camp (2010)

"George's Falls" - Newfane, Vermont (2010)
Andy

Andy

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Ok. Here is my best Vermont Memory. This was my chance to finally meet my very good SOV friend, Carol, CT, George, FaxMachineAnthem, Tim and GIC (George Camp). It was also a chance to meet up with my good buddy Al Utzig, who I had already spent a great long weekend with in MN. The image was taken by Carol of Al and Me shooting what has become my all time favorite Vermont Fall Image! This was the morning after our great get together at Carol's home in Barton. One of the best days and best photographic days in my lifetime!

Andy

bvahjen

Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:39 pm

While new memories are being created for this year I would like to share one from a prior year. I don't have a picture so you will have to use your minds eye, something we don't do much anymore. I was on the fourth hole at Stratton golf club and it was late in the day. The light was failing and I knew we would have it call it a day after this hole. Suddenly I turned to watch the sun go and I saw this sugar maple on the course display the most beautiful red color I have ever seen. It was like a fiery red with purple sky behind it. All was still and the tree showered the area with the most iridescent color I have ever seen. I remember this was the most vibrant color I had ever experienced, you could almost hear it.

wentworth

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:47 am

mmvt, nice pics!
I have too many great memories of Fall in Vermont to mention
Our first fall was in 1997, one of the best Falls ever--And 2003 the NEK along Rt 114 was fantastic, and so was 2012 and 2014--RT 232 last year and 2010--Killington in 2012 was incredible, and 2014 was a close second

Fallleafechidna

Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:44 am

Probably coming around a bend in the NEK in that incredible 2012 fall and seeing this and not really believing:

(oh and thinking back, hah, maybe one of the camp helpers/waitresses years ago at Eagle Camp back when we stayed there for a week when I was just just about to enter HS)

scurtis623

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:10 pm

Wow! We've been going up to NEK for many years and love it up there! Looks like rain for the next 10 days tho. :(
Where is the barn and pond, called Wildwind?
Shirley

Fallleafechidna

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:37 am

mmvt wrote:two favorite memories from my 2014 trip to get this thread going!
the first is one, of many, shots I got on Common Road in Waitsfield. Getting there early in the morning requires being up and in the car and traveling up route 100. As we drove north, the sky was variable (as it often is in VT) and I was hoping the trip would be worth it. Sometimes those long rides end up disappointing because the light or scene you hoped for doesn't materialize. We arrived on Common Road and the scenes were magical - beautiful early sun with distant fog and trees in FULL peak color. This road has so much to explore - the difficult part was deciding how much time to spend in any single location knowing that there is always more to see down the road!
Were those really all taken 10/10 last year? or is that just the date the photos all got processed?

Fallleafechidna

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:38 am

Fallleafechidna wrote:Probably coming around a bend in the NEK in that incredible 2012 fall and seeing this and not really believing:

(oh and thinking back, hah, maybe one of the camp helpers/waitresses years ago at Eagle Camp back when we stayed there for a week when I was just just about to enter HS)
Did it get this good, or close this year in the NEK and did I sadly miss something amazing this year or was it not quite to 2012 and I don't have to feel so bad I won't make it up in time?