R U Ready for Autumn in VT? ONE month from today - first day of fall!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

R U Ready for Autumn in VT? ONE month from today - first day of fall!

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:11 am

Hi foliage fanatics - only 2 months from today and it will be the first day of fall (September 23rd)! It has been feeling like fall here in New England the past two mornings after a couple of very hot and humid days. What a beautiful summer this has turning out to be here!

I hope everyone at least has their lodging secured! If not, it should be done asap! There are so many things to do during Vermont's foliage season and I have my list going! Lots of hiking, places to visit, foliage gondola rides, lake cruises, dining out (made some dinner reservations already 8) ) and a trip to NH with Phil to find my elusive moose! :roll:

The countdown has begun! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

truesignal

Re: R U Ready for Autumn in VT? 2 months from today - first day of fall!

Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:14 pm

We are planning to visit Vermont from Oct 7th to 13th October, 2015. While doing some research I am thrilled to came across this informative web site.

After doing some initial research, I still have problems to find the right places to stay. Can someone suggest 2 to 3 central places during our stay from 7th to 13th.We will be traveling from Newport, Vermont to Wilmington, Vermont.

I will appreciate your help.

truesignal

Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:35 pm

Between Newport and Wilmington, we would like to stay 2 days each in Bed & Breakfast places to see Northern, Central and Southern Vermont. This would give us enough time to go to the places away from main roads.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:47 pm

truesignal: welcome to our forum! Any and all questions you have about Vermont are to be found here! Go no further!

First of all, I would highly suggest you hop on your reservations asap. Weekends are probably near capacity in the b&bs. It may be past peak up in Newport at the beginning of your trip but the area is GORGEOUS GEORGEOUS GORGEOUS! I have heard nothing but good reports on this one in Newport, so check tripadvisor....

http://cliffhavenfarmbedandbreakfast.com/

They have only a few rooms but see what you can put a deposit on NOW!

In central Vermont, Waitsfield is a great location and would be in high color for the start of your trip. There are numerous places to stay but weekends are probably filled. I'll get back to you later this evening or early in the week for more places to search in central VT! Killington area is a real favorite with many of our regulars here on the forum.

Maybe others can help with southern VT as I usually go north but your trip dates sound like SoVT would be perfect for foliage at the end of your vacation!

I don't know what your expected rates for lodging payments are, but as I said, booking now is vital! Also during foliage season, some places require a 3 night minimum. Weekdays are much more flexible and I would speak directly to the innkeepers. Be mindful of their cancellation policies! Also, check out the ski resorts in Jay, Sugarbush, Mt. Snow, Stratton and Killington, for condo offers where there are multitudes of rooms in case your b&b hopes don't work out!

Once you get your lodging established, come back for all kinds of fun places to visit, dine, hike, etc., but mostly, all the incredible back roads in each of the regions! Again, welcome to our forum and I know you will be happy with tips from our local VTers and other regulars on the Scenes of Vermont Foliage Forum!

CT

ixl

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:04 am

Depends on the year, but in general, that timing is too late for the Northeast Kingdom and most of the higher elevations. Would be best to stick to southern areas, areas around Lake Champlain (but not right in the valley), SE and SW Vermont.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:02 am

Happy August! I can finally say I'm leaving for my Vermont foliage vacation next month! :)

Time will fly by fast now, and in about 4 weeks, we may start to see the very first color change here in Southern New England at the tree tops, the the cool air will start filtering in, and the green hue of the trees will noticeably fade, giving us our first taste of autumn. That delicious smell of the earth and leaves signaling the start of fall is almost upon us! Enjoy the rest of your summer days! :wink:

bvahjen

Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Spent the day around Stowe today. Hiked up Hellbrooke to the top of mt Mansfield and the trees look perfect. Seeing some starts of color on the very tips of certain trees so typical of august. Looks like a good moisture and temperature year. It's coming along soon.

wentworth

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:50 am

just 6 weeks to go!

wentworth

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:52 am

truesignal, I'd try to get to Vermont perhaps a week sooner than you are planning-- 7th to 14th be too late for NEK and Killington

Rupras

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Yes only 7 Weeks to go..
Today I visited some of the places in VT , Woodstock,Rochester,Topsham, Barnard to find out new spots for the fall photo scenic places.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:30 am

The mums have arrived at the grocery stores! :shock: :D :mrgreen:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: R U Ready for Autumn in VT? ONE month from today - first day of fall!

Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:34 am

Ha ha! We are now just one month away from the first day of autumn! 8)

More fall décor has arrived from the attic! :roll:

wentworth

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:40 am

just 4 weeks--now we just need for Vermont to have those timely cold snaps in September and we're in

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:00 pm

I'll be in my cozy inn two weeks from today! How time has flown. I'm so ready for autumn in Vermont and can't wait to cross the border for my big trip to see all my SOV friends - locals and flatlanders alike! :D

And, ALL my fall décor is up inside my home and on the outside door! :mrgreen:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:24 am

Hi Carol: hope you are having fun in Barton this weekend and looking forward to some color report when you get home!

I can finally say, "I'm leaving for Vermont next week!" 8) 8) 8)