The Weather & Foliage Gods & Mother Nature In Sync for 2014!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

The Weather & Foliage Gods & Mother Nature In Sync for 2014!

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:35 pm

To all you foliage fanatics heading to Vermont - this looks like the season to be reckoned with! It's 2012 with gorgeous weather and maybe even better colors!

Safe travels to all of you heading to foliage paradise in the Great State of Vermont! Enjoy every blissful moment and appreciate this awesome beauty that awaits you so that you return year after year. When you come upon a hillside bursting of reds, golds and oranges, it will render you speechless. It's moments like these that will put a smile on your face and a tear in your eye. There's nothing like autumn in Vermont! :D

Enjoy and God bless you all on your upcoming travels!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ixl

Re: The Weather & Foliage Gods & Mother Nature In Sync for 2

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:47 am

Best of luck with your trip Carol.

I may not be making a trip at all this year unless there's still somewhere to go in mid-October. I'll be looking forward to seeing your shots!
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:12 am

It will be strange not driving CT around the back roads this year. I suppose I could drive my mother and brother around, but they aren't as lively.

ixl

Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Interesting, I never thought about Cape Cod. I've been in New England over 20 years now and never been. :) It seems very flat so I didn't think I'd find much in the ways of vistas for shooting. But I will keep it in mind, thanks!

(Actually, I really want to do Acadia some year, and the time should be around right. But it's a super long drive and I won't do it unless I'm sure it's a good year there.)

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

kcflanders

Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:14 pm

So, how will no frosts for the next 10 days affect foliage?

From_the_NEK

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Once the leaves have turned, a frost is actually not good. Freezing of any water remaining in the stem of the leaf can actually disconnect the leaf from the branch causing it to fall off. Cool nights are good to keep the color change progressing, but not too cold.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:39 pm

Oh my dear foliage sistah, Carol. What sweet words from a true friend, whom I have met on this foliage forum. You and I have traveled the backroads of Vermont together as Thelma and Louise and I'll never forget our times together laughing about every matter under the sun. Who would have known we would have gotten to be such pals through a foliage forum! I know you are thinking of me while you are up there and it means a lot. I know have mentioned how sad I was to miss my normal 10 day season, and you have been so supportive. Your hubby is one of a kind and he is so good to you, I just love the both of you to bits! I'll never forget when he offered to drive down to CT from Boston with a generator on back of his truck, when the October storm of 2011 rid me of heat and electricity for 10 days and I was about to lose my mind! :shock: For those of you who have not met Carol and her husband, they are the kindest, most down to earth folks you'll meet in your lifetime!

Carol, again, your kind words were like orange and gold and red leaves drifting down from above into my heart. Hugs, CT

ixl

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:21 pm

From_the_NEK wrote:Once the leaves have turned, a frost is actually not good. Freezing of any water remaining in the stem of the leaf can actually disconnect the leaf from the branch causing it to fall off. Cool nights are good to keep the color change progressing, but not too cold.
Years ago I was at a pond and set up my tripod at sunrise to take pictures of leaves falling from a windless sky as they thawed after a hard freeze the night before. IME freezes promote leaf drop more than anything but wind (even more than rain).

You guys up there now are getting really nice weather at least. More selfishly I am hoping this slows the season a bit so there is somewhere I can go in 2 weeks. :)

The long range forecast looks warm and dry for the foreseeable future. May turn out to be an oddball season again in the areas that didn't get the initial cold weather and haven't turned yet.

wxman1976

Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Well there may be no hard frosts the next week but the weather may not be the best after Monday. Enjoy the warmth and sun the next few days. A cold front arrives Tuesday, probably with nothing more than clouds and a few sprinkles. After that things get murky. The cold front stalls Southeast of New England as high pressure moves into Quebec. A storm will form on the front Southeast of Cape Cod and stall. All the heavy rains will stay over CT RI and SE Mass. but there will be Easterly flow coming in off the ocean at least through Thursday. This may bring enough moisture to keep things murky and cloudy for a few days. The White Mountains should take the brunt of it but enough Moisture may spill over so Eastern VT Could be in gloom as well. Again no heavy rains or strong winds will be around and high pressure will Fight Over Quebec so midweek the best weather will be near Burlington and west of the Greens with gloomier weather East. Now this is not set in stone. If the low is weaker or farther east all VT will stay dry and seasonable with at least some sun. Temps next week should be highs in the upper 50s and 60s, with upper 40s and low 50s if the low clouds shroud the NEK. Will keep all posted, but until then enjoy the glorious Indian summer weather, as even the NEK will push 80 Sunday afternoon!
As my friend Joe Bastardi says…Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got!!

Anthony DeVito BS. Meteorology Lyndon State College, Lyndonville VT 1998

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:41 am

Thanks for the update wxman! I changed my itinerary so that I am out in this spectacular top ten weekend and doing everything possible 24/7. I was to go to the Berkshires and Mt. Greylock but I contacted the park ranger and he said the colors are impressive but next weekend will be better. Looking down into the valley will have better colors. I'm hoping the next weekend is clear but will wait until Thursday to make a better determination. We don't have fog here at all but a lot of the reports coming in from the north include very dense fog until mid-morning with reduced visibilities. Be careful everyone!

I know Columbus Day Weekend is far off but it better not rain for my VT day trip to SE VT! :shock:

wxman1976

Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:04 pm

CT! I think next weekend will be pretty clear a front should press through Thursday and clean house. I think next weekend will be much cooler than this one but with fair weather. Columbus day weekend…really CT….I'm good but not that good! ROFL!! The best I can say is the pattern is such that it seems the worst weather comes midweek and the weekends nice. By Next weekend the models are showing a trough in West of Hawaii which usually means a ridge in the East 7-10 days later so at this point I would say it looks promising but it is too far out for little details. This is definitely not the year the sun never shone in Autumn!! Be safe and enjoy all.
As my friend Joe Bastardi says…Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got!!

Anthony DeVito BS. Meteorology Lyndon State College, Lyndonville VT 1998

ixl

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:21 pm

If I end up taking a trip at all this year it will be October 12-17 timeframe.. and I am afraid that while the northern areas got good shots of cold to turn their leaves, the southern areas are just getting all this warmth and there will be nowhere worth going then. I realize it's still 2-3 weeks out, and I hope I'm wrong...

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks for the update WXMAN! I am praying the weather is good for Mt. Greylock because you have to go up these mountains on a clear day or it isn't worth the time and effort to travel so far. I am excited to explore the Berkshires that weekend so will keep checking the weather and also call the Greylock employees for a final update on the summit. Keep the good weather coming - you are our good luck charm! :wink: