State Foliage Report September 24th

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

State Foliage Report September 24th

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:50 am

State of Vermont Foliage Report for September 24, 2014

While the lower elevations of Vermont’s landscape still show an abundance of lush green, the mountains are fast approaching mid-stage foliage, especially in the Northeast Kingdom, along the entire spine of the Green Mountains, and the highest elevations of Southern Vermont. Franklin County Forester, Nancy Patch says, "They are starting to look quite spectacular at 40-50 percent."

Orleans County Forester, Jared Nunery reports that with last week’s good frost, colors are developing fast. "Deep shades of maroon and orange-green are emerging with deep reds speckling the hills. If you're traveling to northeastern Vermont this weekend to see color, you won't be disappointed and by next weekend, we should be in full swing."

Even in more southern areas, state foresters are reporting color development. "Although the mountains are still more green than anything else, there is a blush of yellow and red that promises to become brighter every day." says Windsor County Forester Jon Bouton. " With colors shifting and leaves hanging on, we're headed for several coloreful weeks ahead"

And from the Champlain Valley, County Forester Keith Thompson, reports, " Though the hillsides aren't in full swing yet, it seems that each village has a few sentinel maples that are giving us a preview of what's to come by showing off colors bright enough you'll want to pull over and enloy it for a moment."

BEST BETS (NORTH TO SOUTH):
- Northeast Kingdom Byway from St. Johnsbury
to Newport and Jay.
- Route 120 touring along the north and west
of Lake Carmi State Park.
- Route 105 from Enosburg Falls to Richford,
then east to Island Pond.
- Routes 14, 15, 16, and 114 through the
Northeast Kingdom.
- Route 302 through Orange, Groton & Ryegate.
- The Gap Roads: Routes 17, 125 and 73 west
from Route 100.
- Route 4 from West Bridgewater, heading west
to Killington over Sherburne Pass to Mendon.
- Route 103 from Ludlow through Mount H

jcmaxwell37

Re: State Foliage Report September 24th

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks for the report, maybe NEK is too late for my trip :(
JC

admin
Site Admin

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:42 am

You'll be okay if you arrive within the next week or so. Next week is supposed to be sunny and according to Marc Bream on Eye on the Sky, the sunshine today and over the weekend will bring out the reds even more. From what I heard, he thinks next week will be the best foliage color in years because of the sunshine and lack of wind or rain. That means no leaf drop! We are not getting the storm that is causing rain and clouds in the south and Mark said it wouldn't be coming to Vermont.

snowboarder

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:06 am

This is just getting better and better! I'm on board now and simply can't wait
to see those amazing views. If anyone wants to drive up North,
Quebec is starting to look amazing too peaking very soon!

From_the_NEK

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:44 pm

If you are in the NEK and are looking to get some foliage viewing in during the morning hours, it has been rather foggy in the valleys until mid-morning. I HIGHLY recommend going to a higher elevation area to get above the fog. The Burke Mtn toll road would be my first choice. Then Newark or Stannard Mtn.
The way this weather is shaping up, this may be the best foliage season we have seen in a LONG time.

wxman1976

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:41 pm

The Foliage Network does a really nice job of covering all the Northeast with foliage updates on Mondays and Thursdays. I've been following them for years and they always seem to agree with this forum. Here is todays report!

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php ... ort-7-2014
As my friend Joe Bastardi says…Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got!!

Anthony DeVito BS. Meteorology Lyndon State College, Lyndonville VT 1998

admin
Site Admin

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Was in Stowe today. The immediately Stowe area is not that great, but when you go out of the area it gets much better such as the Notch and even around Morrisville.