Day 3 with ctyanky

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Day 3 with ctyanky

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:30 am

Day 3 with ctyanky was another perfect day. There was no fog this morning, so I was able to see the colors. They were great. The leaves are hanging on thanks to the lack of high winds. Things are looking good and there should be great color north of Stowe this weekend. This will change on Monday. We have high winds and heavy rain coming. After Monday you may have to go to southeast and southwest VT to find the best color. The Champlain Valley in western VT, from Burlington south to Rutland should also have good color.
I picked up ctyanky in Waitsfield and headed south to the Killington Gondola. The sun was in our face so we had trouble seeing the colors. We got to the Gondola only to find that it was closed. It is only open from Friday to Sunday this year. So we decided to do Lefferts Pond and the Chittenden Reservoir.
We drove route US 4 to the Meadow Lake Road, on the right just before the Sugar and Spice restuarant. We drove that to the end at the Chittenden Road and turned right. We drove to the Dam Road on the right side and drove that to the Wildcat Road, also on the right. We drove until we came to the signs pointing to the Lefferts Pond area. We wandered around taking photos while BM her GPS to locate a Geo-Cache. Then we went back to the Dam Road and turned right to go to the Reservoir. Colors were great with a lot of "firecrackers" mixed in. We went back to the Chittenden Road and turned right. After crossing the bridge we turned right onto the Mountain Top Road and drove to the Mountain Top Resort. What a place, what a view and what great colors.
After a few photos, we went back to mmvt's for a diet busting feast. The colors around her vacation house were awesome. The feast was too much. Mac and cheese, pulled pork and roasted veggies. I'm not a big veggie eater. I am the Anti-Veggie! But this dish was great. Then we had apple crisp with Ben and Jerrys ice cream. Then we sat around and chatted while we watched BM's little boy chew on everything in sight.
Then it was time to head out. BM was going home, mmvt was going to Stowe for some photography and ctyanky and I were going to take the scenic route home.
We went to Rochester and took the Bethel Mountain Road, next to the village green, and drove that up to the junction of the Middle Hollow Road. The Bethel Mountain Road goes to the right, but we went straight ahead on the Middle hollow Road. I went past the North Hollow Road on the right so we could see the barn. Took photos. We drove to the end at the North View Road and turned right after ctyanky took photos. We drove to the end at the North Hollow Road and turned left. We drove that until we came to the Townline Road. We drove that to the end at the Buffalo Farm Road and turned right. Now we were in Granville and they call this road the North Hollow Road. We drove this to the end at route 100, just north of Granville Gulf. Then we went home.
This ride is hard to figure out for best photography. It has long views to the west and mountains to the east. If you want photos of long views, do it in the morning. If you want mountain photos, do it in the afternoon. The barn for instance is an afternoon shot.
The best thing to do is get there in the morning and click away. Then wander around the area looking for more photo-opps and go back on these roads and do an afternoon photo shoot.