Peacham - Barnet and route US 5

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Peacham - Barnet and route US 5

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:18 pm

There are a few more paved secondary roads in this eastcentral area that would make a good loop. In my “Route 14 and More Eastcentral Vermont” post I mentioned the village green in Danville by the flashing yellow light. There are 3 streets going through the green. They are , Park street, a short street going around and connecting the other 2 roads. The Peacham Road, the beginning of the long secondary road trip that ends in Vershire. And then there is the Brainerd Road. This paved secondary road goes to route US 5 north of Barnet. About ½ mile ahead you will see a cemetery on your right and there a “Y” type intersection. The dirt road on the right is the Greenbanks hollow road. There is a covered bridge about 3 miles down this road and just up stream of the bridge is the foundation of an old woolen mill. If you want take this road to the bridge and then come back and turn right. If you don’t want to do the bridge, bear left on the paved road, which is now called the Joes Brook Road. When you come to route US 5 turn right and drive down to Barnet. Look for Church Street or the Bimson Drive on the west side of route US 5. Drive by the I-91 intersection where the road becomes the West Barnet Road. Continue driving along and look on the north side of the road for an old yellow mill. This is Ben’s Mill. It was one of the last operating water powered woodworking mill in Vt. Drive into the parking lot and look around. If you are lucky enough to be there when the mill has been opened by the local historical society, take a tour. The original equipment dating to the mid 1800’s is all there. The dam was removed to allow the fish back upstream. I’ve heard that the blue store up the road has a video take of this mill for sale. If it’s the one I think it is, it’s a good taste of old Vt. It’s called Ben’s Mill. Continue on this road through West Barnet and to the end in South Peacham as the Peacham – Barnet Road. Turn north and you go back to Danville. Turn south and you go to Groton. Back at the village green in Danville, there is a street across the road called Hill Street. This paved road goes to North Danville and ends on route US 2 in St. Johnsbury as the North Danville Road. A nice ride. Route US 5 starts at the Massachusetts border and goes all the way up to the Canadian Border in Derby, Vt. I called this the Forgotten Road. With I-91 running alongside traffic and development is very light. There are many nice views of the Connecticut River Valley, nice villages, good color, a nice train ride in Bellows Falls, and the longest covered bridge in the USA on Bridge Street in Windsor. The section through White River Jct. isn’t to scenic, but it is the quickest way through. The section between St. Johnsbury and isn’t too good either. The rest is well worth the ride. I should also mention route 215 while I’m in this area. Route 215 stars on the north side of route US 2 in Marshfield and end on the south side of route 15 in Walden. It’s a nice ride and most importantly goes by the Cabot Cheese Factory in Cabot. Stop in for a tour and some cheese samples. Cabot is a nice village. There is a road just past the factory on the same side of the road called the Whittier Hill road. It’s dirt, but you drive only about 1/4 of a mile for a great view down onto Cabot.