Island Pond, Jobs Pond, Newport and Big Falls (updated-pix)

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

orenphotography

Island Pond, Jobs Pond, Newport and Big Falls (updated-pix)

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:33 pm

I drove up to the NEK in Vermont on Monday morning with plans to hit up some ponds and capture foliage at its peak up there. The weather on the drive up was gray with off/on rains and so I decided to start the trip with a stop at a waterfall in Troy, VT. I had looked for waterfalls in the area the night before and Big Falls held the most promise.

When I arrived, I passed a small cascade with some nice color and then walked a bit farther to this cliff edge. I wish I had a photo to show just how big of a drop it is from the ledge but taking this photo definitely required me to abandon any fear of heights. That small patch of yellow was perfectly positioned along the cliff edge and I set about trying different shutter speeds to best capture the rush of water below.

The sun finally came out for two frames and highlighted the small branch in the cliff making for my favorite image of the set. Not a bad way to start the trip.

Then it was off to scout the ponds and I made my way through Newport. Good color facing St Marys Church on the hill over the pond. Otherwise probably peak this weekend. (pic to come)

I finished up by scouting out Jobs pond for the AM shot and then made my way to Island Pond where I caught a bit of light on the one section with color:

Stayed at the Lakefront Inn and Motel. Not a bad spot. Plenty of vacancies. Little in the way of food in town. Here's the room:

Woke up at 6am next morning and walked down the stairs where I had noticed a nice little dock to use as a foreground element. The skies finally decided to cooperate and got some nice keepers:

Then it was a mad dash to Jobs to get there before any color left the sky and I got this favorite:

From there it was on to Long Pond. Still have a few to process from there but I picked this one last night:

I drove by Newark Pond and found some nice fog there to play with:

It's a grey day in MA so will have time to work on some more pix and will update thread when done. It was a fun but tiring 36 hour, 511 mile trip...
Last edited by orenphotography on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

From_the_NEK

Re: Island Pond, Jobs Pond, Newport and Big Falls

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:32 pm

If Island Pond is socked in with fog in the morning, just head straight for Job's Pond. The high elevation should get you above the fog. Keep a lookout for good undercast foliage shots on the way up.

orenphotography

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks NEK. May just play it by ear. Currently planning Jobs early then up E Charleston Rd and down Willoughby Lake rd to Longs. I'm thinking Barton then Greensboro but would love to hear if those aren't yet peaking. I have no idea what elevations those areas are at.

orenphotography

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:35 am

Update: Jobs this am was absolutely incredible. Light was awesome from 7:00-7:10am...got there just in time. Long pond was nice. Maybe hits peak in 3-4 days? Danville and Old Country road was great and not a scary road at all. Light at that point wasn't great. Heading home so will hopefully add pix here tonight/tomorrow.

orenphotography

Re: Island Pond, Jobs Pond, Newport and Big Falls (updated-p

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 am

Back home and posting pix to this thread. Hope you like them. Some great color in the NEK - best I've seen in past 4 years. Thanks to this forum for pointing out the best spots.

deaner1971

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:49 am

orenphotography wrote:Back home and posting pix to this thread. Hope you like them. Some great color in the NEK - best I've seen in past 4 years. Thanks to this forum for pointing out the best spots.
You are just lighting it up (not pun intended) this year. Looks like a really productive year for the portfolio, congrats on the great shots!

FlyMeToTheMoon

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:04 pm

I love your photographs. This is the third time I've come on here today just to look at them again. Amazing!

Andy

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Oren: These are "as good as it gets" Great color, images and vision!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

orenphotography

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks everyone...lots more to come. Not sure how it's been up there but we've been socked in with misty grey weather here. Made for great processing weather though...

orenphotography

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 pm

I posted 11 of my favorites to my site linked below.

Drove 511 miles in 36 hours and took 588 photos to end up with 30 solid images and 11 favorites...that's not too bad :wink:

http://orenphotography.com/vermont/

Click on a photo to see it larger then scroll with arrow keys or mouse. If you keep going you'll see Owls Head from last year. I may need to drive up next week and get a shot to replace that one :lol:

markm

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:18 am

Thanks for sharing your experience in Vermont and showing the great pictures you captured.

Can you tell us what camera and lens you use for getting such vivid pictures?

autzig

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:40 am

Nice photos! The color this year is amazing. I've photographed Job's Pond with what I thought was nice color, but the color in your shot is much more intense. Congratulations.

Al

From_the_NEK

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:39 am

Jobs pond is one of my favorite spots all year round (except black fly season :) ).

Here it is in the winter:

From the fishing access -

Skiing in the woods below the ice falls -