easy scenic views/trip around rutland

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

rubincon

easy scenic views/trip around rutland

Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:58 am

Hi
so our trip from boston to rutland will be this weekend.
I read all the great stuff u wrote on the best way from boston to rutland. we thought however to take the shortest way from boston to rutland (which is ????) and then just look for nice places with beautifull colors near rutland, or maybe an hour drive from the city.
the idea is to make some short walking trips (good for kids ages 5-7) and maybe find a lake or some other beautiful view.
than in the late afternoon starting going back to boston in the shortest way.
any suggestions?
thanks very much

pwt54

Re: easy scenic views/trip around rutland

Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:23 pm

Those are great rides, but for hiking with young children I think that Texas Falls off route 125 might suit you needs. Texas Falls has the Falls, a short trail system, a picnic area, and restroom facilities. And as a bonus the fall colors should be good up there. It’s about an hour from Rutland. Take route US 4 east from Rutland to route 100 north on the left in Mendon. Take route 100 north to route 125 west on the left side in Hancock. Go about 2 miles and look for the Texas Falls sign. The road is about 500 feet ahead on the right. The road is paved up past the falls. You’ll come to a parking area on the left for the falls. The falls are across the road. Walk down and across the footbridge to the opposite side of the stream. You will pick up the hiking trail there. The trail is a loop so you will end back where you started. If the parking area is full, keep driving and park above. The picnic area is above the falls and the restroom facilities are above the picnic area. The paved section ends above there at an open gate where is turns to a dirt road. It’s a short easy drive if you wish to drive it. You could also hike all or part of the road. It’s about 2 miles long. Be aware, near the end of the road you come to an clearing and the road curves right. The cellarhole for the old farmhouse is at the left side of the clearing. Be careful. When you are done go back to route 125 and turn right. Continue route 125 west up and over the hill. Half way down the hill you will see a ski area on the left. A couple of miles or so ahead you will see a group of yellow buildings on the right. This is the Breadloaf Campus of Middlebury College. Robert Frost taught there. About a mile ahead look for a sign that says Robert Frost Interpretive Trail. The parking lot is just ahead on the left. This is a short easy trail. Finish route 125 west to route US 7 and turn left to get back to Rutland. You might want to consider the gondola ride to the top of Killington Mountain, also. I don’t know much about it, however. Go to the Killington Ski Area off route 100 in Mendon and ask them if a ride is a round trip and about the trails.

RobF

Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:19 pm

The shortest way from Boston to Rutland? That's probably pretty much the route the Vermont Transit Lines bus takes, i.e. Boston - Fitchberg - Keene - Bellows Falls - Ludlow - Rutland. The last stretch from Bellows Falls to Rutland on Rte. 103 is quite pretty.

Mapquest suggests the following route (the quickest?): from Boston I-93N to Concord, N.H., then I-89N to White River Junction, then US-4W to Rutland, 170 mi, 3 hrs.

pwt54

Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:06 pm

BobF is right on both counts. I-93 north to I-89 north in Concord, and I-89 to exit 1 in Hartford,Vt and route US 4 west to Rutland is faster. I'd go for fast to give the kids a chance to rest up. Plus the colors will be real good along route 4. I hate to see you miss routev 103, however.