Who Is Planning An Autumn Trip to VT in 2012?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Who Is Planning An Autumn Trip to VT in 2012?

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi Susan: I'm sorry to hear you will not be in Vermont this foliage season. I was looking forward to finally meeting you! Oh well, you know what they say, "There's always next year!". Hope to see you then! :D

courtmel

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:32 am

Hello all-

I am planning on a short, maybe 3-4 days, visit to Vermont in October. It seems when we come the first week in October, we usually miss really spectacular color. Is it me or has the last 2 years been so so? Maybe we do come a little too early. Also, I like it a little cooler and last year was a bit warm. I don't know. Maybe I am just looking for that peak color that is really just an a description. If you have to choose 3 days or 4 days in October, what days would you choose? I would love anybody and everyone's opinions. Chime in my fellow autumn lovers. This is our time...

suebot in CT
autumn leaf

Andy

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Sue: I was there the first week of October in 2010 and I actually missed some of the foliage completely. Kind of depends on where you are going to be. "Conventional wisdom" says go earlier further North and higher elevations. I am going to go against that conventional wisdom and say this:

My own personal "studies" indicate that if I had to try to pinpoint a 3-4 day time frame:

Peacham/Craftsbury Common - First week of October

NEK - is an enigma to me. I have been there (2010) during first week of October and found great color and other years, its past peak.

Waits River/East Corinth/East Orange, Strafford - Last week of September

Newfane/Townsend - Last week of September

Stowe/Waitsfield/Warren - first week of October

Addison County/Lake Champlain - second week of October

Don't have enough information to tell on Rutland/Killington/Manchester areas

just my two cents based on several trips and trying to "plan" the peak
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:03 am

I would agree with mmvt. The "safest" week would be the first week of October. As mmvt, on average, I spend a week to 10 days in VT each year and have been happiest in the NEK for color during this time. It is really too hard to pin down, each year has been different lately. For example, normally in Waitsfield it is peaking during my trip, but last year it was about to burst into color my whole vacation and finally peaked, during my last two days there. Had to spend most of the time up north.

Next year I am going later and staying much more south just for something different! It's a gamble! :D

wentworth

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:11 am

Killington is where we always stay--last few years the last week of S ept was always peak--Stowe was peak also around that time, but still good color there first week of Oct--NEK the same

courtmel

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:11 am

I love all your leaf lovers! I know I can always get the best advice on everything relating to our favorite season from the followers on this terrific website. My body is already tingling. When I came home from work last evening, I had to close down the windows! :D :D :D
This morning it was a lovely 46 in Newtown. Well, at least that's a start...Looking forward to some frosty mornings to get the leaves changing. I have noticed alot of bees/hornets this year. Especially some making nests in the ground. I don't know what this means but hopefully the bees/hornets are preparing for a long, cold winter. I feel cheated by the season that followed last year's autumn. I can't even call it winter; no snow and such warm temperatures. Our ground didn't ever even freeze. I find this whole climate change very strange and very unhealthy.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you! We are probably coming up to God's country on October 4, 5 and 6th. How about everyone else?
Last year we went to Polly's Pancakes and I fell in love with the place. The best pancakes ever. I am a regular at Sugar and Spice but I was definitely impressed by Polly's!!! :)
autumn leaf

Hollie

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:07 pm

It's been a long time since I've posted on this site. I have missed Vermont terribly. I haven't made it up in years (2009 was the last time) despite many attempts. I was hoping to make it up at some point this year but it's not looking good. I am seriously missing visiting Sugarbush Farms and Sugar and Spice. Typically we've spent our time in Killington. If I can make it, it will most likely be a last minute trip. I'll just have to live vicariously through this forum. Hope everyone is doing well.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm

courtmel: so glad you are coming up to VT! Phil took me to Polly's Pancakes for the first time last fall and I loved it and the view! We went for lunch but I would love to have breakfast there next as I saw the delicious plates rolling past me! YUM! :shock:

hollie: I hope you can make it to VT soon. I went to Sugarbush Farm for the first time this spring and totally enjoyed it! The ride up was beautiful and I bought quite a bit of stuff in the store. Loved the labs lying in the road to greet you (and not move when you tried to go by them!).

The draft horses are gorgeous and so are the views!

Something tells me you WILL make it to Vermont this year! Keep us posted! :D

Utah Baker

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 pm

I"m bubbling over with excitement, we are coming to VERMONT! Albeit late, not till Oct 10 th, I don"t even care, I"m just so excited to be able come, we found a great deal flying into Manchester, NH. So, I,ll be praying for a prolonged Autumn season in glorious VERMONT!!! :D :D :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:58 am

Janice!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you to be finally returning to Vermont!!!!! I just knew it would happen! Maybe the positive vibes Carol and I sent you when you didn't think it would happen worked! Wow!

What are your plans? And where are you staying? :D :D :D :D :D

Utah Baker

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:39 am

Yes, thank you, thank you, we'll take all the good vibes we can get! We have two weeks with RCI to use, so I just booked a week in a condo in Killington. (Oct 12 - 19) Then probably a week in NH. I just got thru reading about the Pumpkin Festival in Keene, NH of the 20th, sounds like a great time, we are planning to attend. That's as far as I have gotten so far. Suggestions and info are welcomed. Beautiful weather as arrived here as well, 48 chilly degrees this morning with beautiful sunshine and temps in the upper 70s and lower 80s for the week. Ahhhh, Autumn, she's here! :D :D :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:19 am

Janice: I'm very happy for you! Two weeks - that's fantastic! Keep us posted on your plans! Sorry we will miss meeting you this year but at least you are going to VT! and NH (gasp)! :D

Utah Baker

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:01 pm

That is a big downside to coming so late in the season, is missing all of you, again! :( Two weeks is the longest we have every come, but hey, when your unemployed you have all the time in the world :mrgreen: Hoping things work out better next year time wise, but for now, beggars can't be choosers, and I'm feeling pretty lucky just to be able to come! :D :D :D

wentworth

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:47 am

We're all set--staying in K illington Sept 23rd and Sept 24th and in Stowe Sept 25 26 27--We plan to go to the NEK and northern NH as well as the White Mtns and the Kancamagus and Owl's Head and Crftsbury Common etc.--getting excited--We' ll bring our laptop this year,and post on the Forum each night!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Wentworth: Have a safe trip! That's so soon! You'll be up there before any of us so we will look forward to your reports each night. Enjoy!