Critique #19

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Andy

Critique #19

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Here's another one:

Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

deaner1971

Re: Critique #19

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:32 am

It feels "cold" to me.

The sky seems a bit over saturated and there seems to be too much of a disconnect between the sky and the foliage where the two meet.

I could be off here but the gazebo feels like it should be leading me to or framing something interesting but it isn't.

Sorry, this is the first one where I feel like it was taken as an after thought maybe while walking to or from something else.

I have tons of these. Not wrong on any measurable scale, just not one I love.

Andy

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Good thought, Dean. I should have thought about trying to shoot something through the Trellis
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

autzig

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:40 am

Andy, Dean is exactly right. The sky is oversaturated and the trellis leads the eye to...nothing. My eye is drawn to the frame created by the trellis but all I see is empty space.

If you cropped the top so the trellis was more dominant I think it would be better. As it is, there is a tension between the sky and the trellis for which should get the attention.

Al

deaner1971

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 am

autzig wrote:[...] As it is, there is a tension between the sky and the trellis for which should get the attention.

Al
Al, I agree and why is that?

Is it because the other components kind of frame that sky? Is it because the sky is a large sheet of an almost uniform color (in stark contrast to the multi-color and multi-texture nature of the other components)? Or is it because that blue is such a strong striking color?

If the trellis (sorry for calling it a gazebo but I could not conjure up the corect term) was framing something and the light was warmer, this picture could really go somewhere.

Specifically, I am interested in using the trellis to frame the pine tree and its neighbors with a sunset/rise pallet in the sky. That turn will also hide more of the house behind the large tree on the right. Not sure what is on the left though so Andy, I am really just Monday morning quarterbacking your shot at this point.