Yellowstone Memorial Day weekend

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Utah Baker

Yellowstone Memorial Day weekend

Wed May 30, 2012 6:16 pm

https://picasaweb.google.com/1074572829 ... directlink

Thought I'd share some photos of our Yellowstone adventure this past weekend, we had a great time in the SNOW! :D Janice

Andy

Re: Yellowstone Memorial Day weekend

Wed May 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks for sharing these. Where in Yellowstone were you? You clearly saw LOTs of wildlife!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Utah Baker

Wed May 30, 2012 11:06 pm

Well talk about booboos, I just realized I put the wrong year on my album, it should be 2012, yes just this past weeked. I just looked at your beatiful pictures of the Tetons, Andy. Wish we could have seen them, the cloud level was so low with the snow, that they were vitualy invisable. We entered the park thru West Yellowsrone, went to Old Faithful and then headed up to Mammoth for the night. the road between Tower and Canyon was still closed due to snow. And the next day Craig pass just below Old Faithful was closed, so we had to double back and cross thru the middle and head down to Jackson Hole on the east side. Which was actually good, cause that's where we saw grizzlies. The black bear cubs in the tree was taken up at Mammoth and the owl was taken in the Grand Teton Naional Park in an area called Moose (although that was probably the one thing we didn't see, go figure) as well as the picture of Jackson Lake. If you go back you must go to the Bar J Wranglers chuck wagon dinner and performance, great fun! What days were you there?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu May 31, 2012 5:11 am

Hi Janice: these are great pictures! "A Winter Wonderland of Wildlife". I really enjoyed your post. Thanks for putting it up with photos and you are lucky to live so close! I couldn't believe all the snow!!!!

deaner1971

Thu May 31, 2012 7:36 am

Great photos and a wonderful reminder of why this is at the top of my bucket list.

Also, thanks for sharing photos of the Old Faithful Inn. That place and the Awahnee are two places at which I cannot wait to stay.

Utah Baker

Thu May 31, 2012 9:14 am

Silly me, I also just realized I didn't include the picture of the black bear clubs in the tree. I will try and post it later. :oops:

autzig

Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 am

Nice photos.

You did see a lot of wildlife. I love Yellowstone and I've been there several times but have never seen all the stuff you saw. I guess if it takes snowy weather to see wildlife, it was a good trade off.

Al

Andy

Thu May 31, 2012 11:55 am

Janice, we were there from Saturday, May 19 (afternoon) through Tuesday, May 22. We just missed the snowstorm, which is probably a good thing. The only time we spent in Yellowstone was one afternoon, we drove up to look at Jackson Lake Lodge (it is spectacular -- Dean, I think it blows Old Faithful Inn away -- though probably in price too), and decided to drive on up to see Old Faithful. This must be my month (I won a 50/50 raffle yesterday for the first time in my life - $700 - good for a trip or lens or something :-)), as we drove in just minutes before she erupted and saw the whole thing! Good timing.

The only wildlife we saw in Yellowstone that day was the Elk that we caught sunning themselves just below Grants. I am told that the best place to see abundant wildlife is further North in the Lamar Valley - though it looks like you did just fine where you were, Janice!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Utah Baker

Thu May 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Thanks to all for the kind remarks. Andy, thats too funny, we arrived in West Yellowstone at midnight the 22nd. Spent the 23rd and 24th in Yellowstone, the 25th ,26th in Teton and Jackson Hole and headed home Sun. the 27th. We were up there the same time of year three years ago and had the same good luck with wildlife. I think it's a good time as the new babies are all out forging for food with their Moms. We had great luck in the Lamar Valley three years ago, but that area was closed between Tower and Canyon. We did have good luck in the Hayden Valley which is just south of Lamar.

I added the picture of the black bear cubs in the tree, a little hard to see, a moose book I would have loved to send to CT, I thought of her immediately when I saw it, and some inside pictures of Old Faithful Inn for Dean. Not the best but, oh well. I too love the Jackson Lake Lodge, it is beautiful, but still love Old Faithful as well, they're just different, Old Faithful being, well OLD!

deaner1971

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:48 am

Thank you for the added photos.

Thanks Andy for the suggestion, maybe I will try to stay at both when I go up.