How is it out there?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

garpedo

How is it out there?

Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:12 am

I am coming out from No. California next week. I will be in East Burke on Monday and Tuesday, to Derby on Wednesday and Island Pond on Thursday and Friday bck to East Burke. It's a road bike trip so of course we are hoping for good weather, but will be prepared with rain gear.
I'd love to hear how the colors are coming and how the weather might be expected to behave.

Any special recommendations for sights to see along the way?
Thanks.

pwt54

Re: How is it out there?

Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:12 am

I was up there the last 2 days. WOW! It's peaking right now. Should be great right up to the weekend. From Burke to Derby the roads I'd take right now are route 114 throught Island Pond Village to route 111 west. Take that through Morgan to Derby. OR, if you want a longer ride, go past route 111 and finish route 114 to route 102 south in Canaan. Take route 102 south to route 105 in Bloomfield. Take route 105 east back through Island Pond and into Derby.

garpedo

Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:23 pm

Thanks for your input. I have been learning a lot from reading the other posts...a little disappointed that we may be missing the peak in NEK but we are driving up from Barre, Mass on Monday to East Burke so I know we'll see a lot.

I have reservations that pretty well lock us in to the route but suggestions along that line are much appreciated.
Tuesday 10/5 East Burke to Barton Loop
Wednesday 10/6 East Burke to Derby via Lake Willoughby
Thursday 10/7 Derby to Island Pond
Friday 10/8 Island Pond back to East Burke

Any suggestions for lunch in Montpelier?
"Not to miss" opportunities along our route?
Thanks.

pwt54

Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:56 pm

In Montpelier, the Main Street Grill and Bar run by the New England Culinary School is a favorite. We you said "next week" in your first post I thought it would be earlier. Foliage will be in the late stage up around Island Pond by 10/7. Still a lot of color but more yellows than reds and oranges'. Burke and south will be good. Colors will be great in the Montpelier area. This may work out alright. You'll have some good rides up north will lots of warm yellow with some red and orange hot spots. Burke and Sheffield will be peaking and by the time you get to Montpelier things wiil be popping.

garpedo

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:56 am

Thanks. I am so excited...can't wait to get on the plane. Just packed up my bike and only one more day of work to get through. This is a great forum. I have really appreciated all the valuable info!