HELP from locals

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

RIrambler

HELP from locals

Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:22 pm

My parents are coming up from TX and my family and they are going to be in southern VT from 9-29 to 10-01. I would greatly appreciate any advice- from great drives, to great trails, covered bridges, secrets spots, restaurants and where to see the best foliage. We are staying in Shaftsbury but are planning to drive all around.

ixl

Re: HELP from locals

Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:01 pm

For the best color you will want to stick to the higher elevations.

A couple of suggestions off the top of my head..

The Skyline Toll road on 7A between Arlington and Manchester...

The Kelly Stand Road between Arlington and Stratton... and Branch Pond and Grout Pond are off this road.

Lake Shaftsbury is very pretty, especially in the early AM, but it may be a bit early there yet. It is off 7A.

There is supposed to be a famous covered bridge in West Arlington that I am hoping to check out soon.

Can't help you much on eats as I don't eat out much. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Re: HELP from locals

Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:32 am

The covered bridge in West Arlington is off route 313 and can be seen from that road. The Chiselville Bridge is on the East Arlington road. You can pick up that road in Arlington Village. There are 3 off route 67A in Bennington. There are on the Silk Road and the Murphy Road.