Foliage at Home

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Utah Baker

Foliage at Home

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Here are a few photo's I took, the first one's where taken the 28th of Sept. the latter the first full week of Oct., just before our snow storm hit. The last two are of Silver Lake where we saw our Moose the week before. I took those early Wed morning before the storm hit Wed night, hoping to catch the moose again but no luck, she probably said it was too cold to be outt.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1074572829 ... directlink

autzig

Re: Foliage at Home

Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:14 pm

These are nice photos.

Where is this place? I assume that they are in Utah, but moose? I didn't think they got that far south.

Al

Utah Baker

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:18 pm

Dear Al,

Northern and Southern Utah are two vastly different areas. Where as southern Utah, Arches National Park, Moab area, Dead Horse Point, and St. George are desert and the scenery that John Wayne movies are made of. Northern Utah , where I live( considered the benches of the Salt Lakes area, my home sits at eval. 5,000 ft.) Salt Lake Valley, Heber Valley, Cache Valley, and such are Alpine, lakes and Mtns. Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons(where these pictures where taken and the ones of the wildflowers, A Different kind of Peak) are a 20-30 min drive from Salt Lake City along the Wasatch Front. They are home to popular ski resorts, Brighton, Solitude, Alta and Snowbird. And it is very common to see deer, moose, cougar, and other wildlife in these areas. Next time you are out this way you must check out the other half of the state! Also check out the weather page at KSL.com, for some great pictures of Utah. Thanks for your kind remarks! Janice

autzig

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Janice, we traveled through eastern Utah on our Western trip. We enjoyed our trip from Jackson, WY to Moab. It was beautiful. Maybe we weren't east enough, but that area didn't look like moose country to me.

I think Utah is one of the most beautiful states. I particularly love southern Utah but I've traveled much of the rest of it. The salt desert west of Salt Lake City is as unique as the red rocks, arches and canyons in the south. I spent a lot of time in Salt Lake City when I lived in Portland so I enjoyed the city as well. I've probably spent more time in Utah than any state other than those I've lived in.

If it wasn't for grandchildren, I think I could convince my wife to move there....probably to Moab.

Al

Andy

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Nice foliage and very different than our Eastern states foliage
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Utah Baker

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:40 am

Hi Al,

Moab is indeed a fun little community. We go down each April as a family (never Easter weekend that would be as insane as going to Wookstock Columbus Day weekend yikes!) One of our favorite memories is when we took all the grandkids to Arches and did Park Avenue at dusk, they all had flashlights and as we got to the bottom the moon was just rising over the canyon walls. We formed a circle and turned off the flashlights. It was truely magical as we did some star gazing and had the place all to ourselves.

Next time your in Salt Lake City, take a quick trip up to Brighton or Alta, like I said a 30 min drive east in the Wasatch
Mtns. that line the Salt Lake Valley, let me know and I'd be happy to see if we can't find a Utah Moose! :)