THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Re: VERMONT PONDS AND LAKES

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:33 am

Peeper, there was a photo of Nichol's Pond in Woodbury in todays newspaper. There was a surprising amount of color there. There other ponds in that area north of Montpelier should be as good.

peeper

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks for the Montpelier tips.
Peeper, there was a photo of Nichol's Pond in Woodbury in todays newspaper.
Which paper? Is it online with a link?

pwt54

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm

It was the Burlington Free Press. The photo should be in the photo section.

deaner1971

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:11 am

Karma2x wrote: Another favourite is Grout Pond near Stratton Mountain. Early morning is best, even better if you get a canoe or kayak out.
That is on my list for this year. Excited to make that drive. Always meant to and never got around to it.

peeper

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks to all the suggestions. I'm leaving tomorrow for Montpelier, and will scout around there for break of dawn shoots. The weather forecast sounds encouraging with cloudy days. Hope the foliage is good as well.

Here's a link for the waterfall lovers:

http://www.northeastwaterfalls.com/data ... st&sort=VT

So many ponds, so little time. Sigh :-)

deaner1971

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:16 am

mmvt wrote:Is Grout Pond accessible this year given the damage on Kelly Stand??? (or am i not correctly remembering the location....)
It IS a beautiful pond!
I agree that Kelly Stand (which would be a nice short drive for someone like be based out of Bennington/Manchester) would be preferrable but, I do think it is out for 2011.

I think I am going to have to go the long way around Stratton or tie it into a trip to Mount Olga using Route 9. I can make additional stops going wither way so I can make it work.+

Aspen

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Peeper, the Waterfalls website you posted on the Vermont Ponds and Lakes thread is awesome. May I recommend that you repost it in a new thread with a new Subject heading related to Vermont Waterfalls. Would be more accessible for viewers wanting to find names and locations of waterfalls if it had its own thread instead of getting lost in a ponds and lakes thread. I happened to stumble upon the Waterfalls website which you shared within the Vermont Ponds and Lakes thread. When I wanted to revisit your post for the Waterfalls website, I could not recall which thread it had been on so had to surf through several posts to relocate it. There are so many who enjoy visiting and photographing waterfalls that I know your website will be appreciated by many on the Forum. Thanks for sharing and do consider reposting the website in a new thread.

Aspen

Andy

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:54 pm

When I get to my computer, I can set it up as a sticky thread
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Aspen

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Knew it would be Andy to the rescue! Thank you!
The Waterfalls website thread will reach out to so many folks who enjoy and photograph waterfalls! This website which Peeper shared lists numerous waterfalls throughout Vermont.
Again, thanks Peeper and Andy.

Aspen

Andy

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Peeper: Good point on the times and locations. I went back and edited mine. 2 of 3 are easy drivers. The Owls Head overlook would take some effort, but looks to be worth it.
Andy

Andy

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Aspen: I have learned that there was actually a pretty long thread on Waterfalls about 3 years back. I need some time to go back and pull it up. I think it is a good idea to create a Waterfalls Category sticky here, like drives, ponds, etc. I will do that when time permits, but probably too late for this season. Just returned from a long week in SF and am catching up here at work and trying to get my body back on Eastern Time. Leave at the crack of dawn Thursday to shoot foliage somewhere (have a plan, but based on leaf and weather conditions, also have a "plan B" :-) ). But it does make sense as a permanent thread either here or on the Photography Forum. I may check with Tim and see what his thoughts are.
Andy

Aspen

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks Andy, now, that you've discovered there was a long thread on waterfalls some three years back, confirms that the thread got buried and is not readily accessible. Indeed, warrants being a sticky thread of its own. I suggested Peeper repost the website so it would stand alone but since it has not been reposted, I will post it for Peeper to assure those checking the Scenes of Vermont Forum for the 2011 Vermont Fall Foliage Season will have access to the website at a glance. Then, when you come up for air from all your travels :wink: , work demands and photography ops, you may get around to organizing the Waterfall sticky.

Aspen

Edited note: Vermont Waterfalls website has been posted on Forum

ct999

Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Here's a 15-shot panorama that I took from Lewis Pond Overlook last week -- Oct 7, 2011:

http://www.chriswtanner.com/images/pano ... ok_900.jpg

Btw, the Four Mile Rd and Lewis Pond Rd aren't TOO bad until the very end, which starts around the turn for Lewis Pond Overlook. Some of the road's rocks were gigantic and scraped the bottom of my car a few times. It wasn't fun driving there, and it took at least 1 hour each way on the entire Four Mile-LewisPond stretch.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Chris: You did a beautiful job on the panorama! Glad you got there. I think the ride in and out is gorgeous. Did you get any other photos of the drive to and from?

Yes, I remember the rocks at the end but I wasn't driving. The scenery is to die for! Weren't the views of the overlook worth it???

By the way, welcome to the forum! Hope you can share your other photos of Vermont as well!

Aspen

Re: VERMONT WATERFALLS

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks Andy for retrieving the Vermont Waterfalls thread.
In this thread, resubmitting this specific website for Vermont Waterfalls for quick reference and also assure it does not get lost.
Although, the conclusion of the 2011 Fall Foliage season in Vermont has arrived in many areas of Vermont, waterfalls may be enjoyed any season!

http://www.northeastwaterfalls.com/data ... st&sort=VT

Aspen