Thank you to the board (photos from trip inside)

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Snookman2

Thank you to the board (photos from trip inside)

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:04 pm

pwt54, ctyanky, mmvt, from_the_nek, abby, ixl, andy, and anyone else who I may have forgot, thank you so much for your help in planning my trip! I've never been to a message board that is filled with friendlier or more helpful people. This board really is an amazing resource.

Let me tell you what was really cool. When I was up in Vermont I knew more about the foliage, where it was good, what roads to take, etc not only when it came to other visitors but even when it came to the locals in some cases! And I'm just some guy from Florida on his first trip to Vermont! All thanks to this forum! Now, here are a few shots from our trip. Keep in mind that we're regular shmoes when it comes to taking pictures, not pros like most other people around here.

10/1 Pudding Hill Road?

10/1 May Pond Road

10/1 Newark Road

10/1 Sugarhouse Road

10/2 Stowe Hollow Road

10/2 Route 17

10/3 Owls Head

10/3 Macks Mountain Road

10/3 Darling Hill Road

10/3 Darling Hill Road

10/3 Field to the left of May Pond access road

10/3 May Pond: there was a car coming up the access road right when we arrived, maybe it was someone from the forum??? This was at about 2:50 pm.

From_the_NEK

Re: Thank you to the board (photos from trip inside)

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Great pics! Looks like you had a good tour of Northern VT.

The first picture is indeed Pudding Hill.
Here are the same trees from a slightly different angle on Monday (I drive by them every day :D ).

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Dear dear Snook! Thanks for those very kind words of thanks to all. They are much appreciated! In a nut shell, this forum ROCKS!

Your photos are great and they all show what a wonderful time you must have had in Vermont!!! I certainly hope you come back to Vermont next year and check out new places and back roads or perhaps revisit your favorite ones too!!!!

I LOVED the pumpkins on the stone wall! Thanks for joining the forum and please check back in from time to time as some of the regulars try to keep the forum going all year. It's a struggle but we do it!

There are sure to be many posts with people reporting in over the next two weeks and then it is pretty active up until November with folks linking to their photo sites for all to enjoy!

autzig

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:45 pm

I recognized the Darling Hill Road photo immediately. Unfortunately for you, Snook, the color hadn't turned there yet. I have taken the drive along that road a handful of times and when the color is at its peak, there isn't a better place. The good news for those visiting in the next week or two, is that peak color there is still coming.

Al

pwt54

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Those maple trees on Darling Hill are either a cut-leaf maple or some other non-native hybrid. I'm not sure what color they turn.

Andy

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks for sharing those, Snook. This IS the best forum I participate on (should make you feel warm and fuzzy, Tim). I sure wish it stayed active all year, but it seems to hibernate from Nov - mid August.

But, I am sure you are hooked, now, Snoo, and you will be back.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

orenphotography

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:20 am

Found this image of that Darling Hill road. Will definitely need to hit that spot when it peaks...

From_the_NEK

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:23 pm

That is an early morning shot looking up hill just past the WildFlower Inn. The time of day is really helping the colors there as those paticular trees along the road never really turn bright colors.

faxmachineanthem

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:09 pm

There are lots of good images to be had on Darling Hill Road, although there is no one obvious photographic composition in my opinion. So you have to get creative. :D It might be the prettiest road I've ever driven on. If you drive the road behind Stepping Stone Spa, there are good views of the valley leading north to Lake Willoughby. You can't see the lake but can see Mt Pisgah and Hor Mountain that surround it. They also have a new church by the spa, with similar views towards Lake Willoughby.