THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Re: VERMONT PONDS AND LAKES

Postby pwt54 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:16 pm

orenphotography; Anytime next week is good.

abby

Postby abby » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Andy wrote:And where, exactly, were you hiding that view Of May Pond the morning you took us there??? :P

It was hidden behind all of that thick fog! And NOW do you see why I love it there so much! :wink:
Carol

peeper

Postby peeper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:51 pm

What a terrific thread, just what I'm looking for. I'll be staying around Montpelier next week, and will hit the lakes and ponds around there (and farther away). I'm looking for shots of falls and streams (with long exposure), rising mist (like Abby's Lake Parker Glover), reflections, etc. A few questions:

- Can the posters comment on whether these lakes and ponds are better for morning or afternoon shots?

- In particular, which are suited for break of dawn shots (for mist)? IOW, those that can be reached with a vehicle and with only a very short hike.

Thanks.

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:35 am

The lakes and ponds in the Montpelier area should be good next week. The foliage around the lakes north of route US 2 are peaking now and may not be as colorful. Job's Pond will be past peak. Lake Willoughby will still have color. This lake is scenic without color. There are a lot of small ponds and lakes on the back roads north of Montpelier in the towns of Calais and Woodbury. There is a nice waterfall on the Cranberry Meadow Road. These short crisscrossing roads are quite scenic and colors should be good. The Tebbits Road in Woodbury goes under a barn. If you don't have a VT atlas, go to the little red building on 134 State Street in Montpelier and see if they a a detailed map of that area. I'll be going over those roads this week with Cyanky, she'll go crazy.

Karma2x

Postby Karma2x » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:21 pm

One of my favs is Kent Pond along Rt. 100 just beyond the Rt 4 intersection. If you get there just before sunset on a good fall day, it is spectacular. These pics were taken within minutes of each other as the sun disappeared. Nearby Colton Pond is pretty good too. Oh, these pics were taken Oct. 7, 2008.
KentPondPano.jpg
KentPondPano.jpg (110.43 KiB) Viewed 10333 times

KentPond.jpg
KentPond.jpg (157.81 KiB) Viewed 10333 times

Another favourite is Grout Pond near Stratton Mountain. Early morning is best, even better if you get a canoe or kayak out.
Last edited by Karma2x on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmvt

Postby mmvt » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Those are great photos of Kent Pond- the house we rent is 2 miles from there. I was at the pond last night- color is still early. ALSO, if you're planning to go there, be advised that the entire RIGHT side of the driveway entrance is washed out - stay to the far left and you can get in and down to the pond. Colton Pond also has some washout on the Right side of their parking area.

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:37 pm

Karma2x The pictures of Kent Pond are beautiful. When were these pictures taken? There are loons at Kent Pond. Some of us on the Forum, last year, shared seeing the loons.

Aspen

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:33 am

Peeper, there was a photo of Nichol's Pond in Woodbury in todays newspaper. There was a surprising amount of color there. There other ponds in that area north of Montpelier should be as good.

peeper

Postby peeper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks for the Montpelier tips.

Peeper, there was a photo of Nichol's Pond in Woodbury in todays newspaper.

Which paper? Is it online with a link?

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm

It was the Burlington Free Press. The photo should be in the photo section.

deaner1971

Postby deaner1971 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:11 am

Karma2x wrote:Another favourite is Grout Pond near Stratton Mountain. Early morning is best, even better if you get a canoe or kayak out.

That is on my list for this year. Excited to make that drive. Always meant to and never got around to it.

peeper

Postby peeper » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks to all the suggestions. I'm leaving tomorrow for Montpelier, and will scout around there for break of dawn shoots. The weather forecast sounds encouraging with cloudy days. Hope the foliage is good as well.

Here's a link for the waterfall lovers:

http://www.northeastwaterfalls.com/data ... st&sort=VT

So many ponds, so little time. Sigh :-)

mmvt

Postby mmvt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:46 am

Is Grout Pond accessible this year given the damage on Kelly Stand??? (or am i not correctly remembering the location....)
It IS a beautiful pond!

deaner1971

Postby deaner1971 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:16 am

mmvt wrote:Is Grout Pond accessible this year given the damage on Kelly Stand??? (or am i not correctly remembering the location....)
It IS a beautiful pond!

I agree that Kelly Stand (which would be a nice short drive for someone like be based out of Bennington/Manchester) would be preferrable but, I do think it is out for 2011.

I think I am going to have to go the long way around Stratton or tie it into a trip to Mount Olga using Route 9. I can make additional stops going wither way so I can make it work.+

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Peeper, the Waterfalls website you posted on the Vermont Ponds and Lakes thread is awesome. May I recommend that you repost it in a new thread with a new Subject heading related to Vermont Waterfalls. Would be more accessible for viewers wanting to find names and locations of waterfalls if it had its own thread instead of getting lost in a ponds and lakes thread. I happened to stumble upon the Waterfalls website which you shared within the Vermont Ponds and Lakes thread. When I wanted to revisit your post for the Waterfalls website, I could not recall which thread it had been on so had to surf through several posts to relocate it. There are so many who enjoy visiting and photographing waterfalls that I know your website will be appreciated by many on the Forum. Thanks for sharing and do consider reposting the website in a new thread.

Aspen

Return to “Foliage Forum”