Misty ponds and water reflections

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

peeper

Misty ponds and water reflections

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:21 am

This year I'm looking for shots of misty ponds (sunrise), waterfalls, running streams, and water reflections. Yes, water themes! I plan to try out the State Park cabins to stay close to the shooting locations.

http://www.vtstateparks.com/pdfs/cabincottage.pdf

From the Groton State Forest thread, something like the Picker Pond would be what I have in mind.

http://scenesofvermont.com/phpbb2/viewt ... a4a23a3917

I plan to be there within the next five days. I would either stay around Montpelier, or hop between the State Park cabins. Would appreciate comments and suggestions on foliage condition, similar locations and the State Park cabins.

TIA.

Andy

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:40 am

Peeper: Good news. There are ponds virtually everywhere in Vermont! In the Groton SF, Kettle Pond, Peacham Pond and several others. Ricker is a great spot. It is an afternoon shot though.

If you search this forum, you'll find a bunch of others.

My inside source tells me NEK is at or near peak this weekend and things are happening fast. Should be closing in on peak in Mid and South during next week.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Update

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Looking at some of the old posts: I wanted to add this: Last Fall Carol led a group around Barton in the NEK and we started out a clear, cool morning at this pond:

Followed by this one:

This is one of thousands of similar ponds in Vermont.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

deaner1971

Re: Misty ponds and water reflections

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:37 am

If you are in Southern Vermont, Emerald Lake State Park can offer some interesting morning fog shots. It is a small lake surrounded by peaks and it has a small island with large old growth trees and the island can seem to emerge from the fog like some aboreal pirate ship.

I have yet to get the light exactly as I would like it as the lake's site does create large differences in lighting that have been hard for me to use to quite the right effect but, having seen others' work, I know someone here could probably get it spot-on.

deaner1971

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:22 am

Abby,

It is right (literally "right" if you are driving south) off of 7 so you should be ok. There is a stream that runs under the access road and along the path so some damage might have been possible but people also live right there and would need the access restored if they are to leave and return to their homes so I think it should be good.

As I have said, my efforts have been poor (will try and post some so you folks can assess my mistakes) but I think there is a picture in there somewhere. Hope you get the shot!

deaner1971

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:29 am

One other thought occurred to me, if you are going to be in that area, you might also try the West River as it passes through Jamaica State Park. Smaller slopes as back drops with some large boulders in the river can give you some composition options. Also a wonderful walking path (used to be an old small gauge railroad bed, full story on a display about a mile into the walk) follows the river's course for miles meaning you can walk the path but drop down to the river whenever you see something you might like to capture.

Also, (sorry if I am rambling) the Scott Covered Bridge is also not far from Jamaica State Park and that also has some good options (provided the shots from river level are still an option after the storm).

If the morning is a cold one, the Jamaica Coffee House is very good and has free Wifi, if you need it.

Nearby will also be Stratton and its gondola if you are looking to knock that off your list.

OK, I'll shut-up now. :oops: