Looking for a new base...

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

courtmel

Looking for a new base...

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi All

Every wonderful autumn we always make our base in Killington, which is lovely and perfectly located. After 10 years we need a new base to take day trips from. We need some new places to visit and explore. We also are looking to stay at a CLEAN hotel not too expensive. We should be up for the first Thursday in October which is the 6th and stay until Sunday. I wouldn't mind, and I will bite my tongue, exploring New Hampshire for a day or so. I am counting the days. If I don't show my husband some new places he won't be a happy leaf peeper!!!

Any suggestions or thoughts would be most appreciated.

suebot in CT
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Looking for a new base...

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Courtmel: It's great to see you back on the forum! I recall that you couldn't make it to VT last year so good for you to return once again. It seems that a lot of folks here use White River Junction as a firm base for exploring VT and (gasp) NH. As I have mostly stayed in the NEK and now in Waitsfield, I don't have a hotel recommendation for you. I think you will receive a lot of good advice from this forum!

Again, it's great to see you back here!

P.S. Not to worry about NH, I'm going myself with Phil again, on another moose quest! :P

Utah Baker

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:03 am

Now brace yourself, I know it is in NH, but just south of White River down the freeway and just off the exit, is a little town called Bow, NH. The Hampton Inn there is very nice and usually less expensive than the one in White River, and just directly north of the hotel there is a great little restaurant called the Corner View. All in close proxeimty to Vermont!

courtmel

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:15 pm

ctyanky-
It's good to be back. I here in Newtown, CT am still w/o power, telephone and internet service since Sunday 4am. Thank the Lord we invested in a generator since we lost power for 3 days in the spring. Best investment ever. My daughter in Milford is still w/o but my daughter in Oxford never lost power. Go figure.

I am so worried about our beloved Vermont. I pray that the people and places are going to bounce back better than ever. My heart goes our to them.

Utah Baker-Bow, NH looks lovely but we were looking for something a more northern location. I love the Hampton Inns and if you know of anyplace else please let me know.

ctyanky-Is there a decent place in Waitsfield?

I already feel the cool autumn air rushing in. I am ready for my favorite season.

suebot in CT
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi Sue: Here is the link to the lodging in the Mad River Valley. The categories to different types of lodging are on the left. Quite frankly, I find this area very expensive. I can recommend the Wilder Farm Inn where I stayed a couple of times a few years back. The owners are exceptional hosts, young, vibrant and VERY outdoorsy types. The breakfast is exemplary. Very clean place and the common rooms are perfect and they are always filled at night with the guests getting together. I also stayed at the 1824 House before it turned hands recently. It is gorgeous and elegant and the Barn Door Restaurant is next door, newly opened. Perhaps you can look at the link at the different types of lodging and check TripAdvisor for comments on the various places. It is getting reallly close to high season and I know Waitsfield books up fast. For me it is an ideal location for travel and the surrounding scenery is beyond words. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing! Glad to see you back!

http://www.madrivervalley.com/lodging

pwt54

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:21 am

Color should still be good along the route US 2 corridor. St. Johnsbury, Montpelier, Waitsfield, and Stowe would be good choices. I like the Waitsfield area because it's more laid back.

courtmel

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi all-

I am so excited. After returning home from the Goshen Fair today I got online to locate a hotel for foliage viewing. I tried to get into the St Johnsbury Comfort Inn but didn't want to pay $199 a night for Monday-Thursday. I was able to get a 4 night reservation beginning Oct.5 and leaving Oct. 8 in Littleton, NH though. That is all that was available! I need places to visit, roads to cruise, mountains to climb. I will need your advice on must see locales in this new area of exploration. I guess we will be close to the NEK, no? Has any of you guys visited the Littleton area?

I am just happy to be heading north in a month. I have a feeling this fall foliage season is going to be spectacular!!!

suebot in CT :D
autumn leaf

pwt54

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:56 am

Route 117 between route 302 in Lisbon and route 18 in Franconia is a favorite of mine. I like to go to Bath, NH to see the covered bridge and the old country store. Route 112 to the Kancamaugus Highway starts just south of Bath. I like driving route 135 from Lancaster to Woodsville. If your sweet tooth is acting up, go to Chutters Store on Main Street in Littleton. 8) I've been on most of the back roads in that area and I like them all.

faxmachineanthem

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Here are some nice spots nearby:

In NH:
Sugar Hill Meetinghouse
Crawford Notch
Cannon Mountain Tram
Mount Washington Cog Railway (never been but seems popular... and a bit pricey)
Polly's Pancake Parlor

Close enough in VT:
Lake Willoughby
Darling Hill Road (check out From_the_NEK's central NEK loop on this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2008)
Peacham
Groton State Forest (particularly Owl's Head)

wentworth

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:39 pm

Crawford Notch is cool--straight up mountain--approaching Owl's Head in the Groton Forest from the south on Rt 232 was amazing--bright cloudy day Sept 26th, 232 was near peak, beautiful colors--that, and Killington were the highlights of our trip last year--looking at the pictures today, yowza!--wish I could post them!

wentworth

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:45 pm

Gawd, the St. Johnsbury Comfort Inn is $200 a night now?? in 2007 it was $150--nice place but a bit expensive

courtmel

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks all for these great roads and places to visit. I am definitely going to be stopping by Polly's Pancake House. We love Sugar & Spice in Mendon and have been going there every single time we visit Vermont but I have heard good things about Polly's. Can't wait!!! Yes, the price at Comfort Inn was a little too steep for me especially during the week.

PWT-Do you have any predictions on how the foliage season might be shaping up; early-late? I see a few stressed trees starting to change down around CT. This is the best time of the year.

suebotinCT :D
autumn leaf

pwt54

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:24 pm

It's hard to say what foliage season will be like. This is the wettest year I can remember. The stressed out trees usually start showing color about now. I'll be wandering around the northeast kingdom tomorrow and might get a better idea of the color change. I probably won't be going south for a while.

courtmel

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:13 am

Hi All-

Since we are new to this area of VT-NH can anyone suggest some good restaurants or diners? Of course we will be stopping by Polly's Pancakes! I can't wait. The only problem is my husband is so impatient I am afraid of the 2 hour waits I have read about. What times of the day would be the least likely to have huge crowds on that Thursday or Friday? Also how far is Polly's from the Hampton Inn in Littleton, NH?

I think this is going to be a spectacular foliage season. I just feel it in my heart... :D

suebot in CT
autumn leaf

faxmachineanthem

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:48 pm

If you're on the VT side, the Miss Lyndonville Diner (in Lyndonville of course) is really good. It gets busy but I've never waited long.