NORTHERN VERMONT AND NORTH EAST VERMONT FOR FOLIAGE

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

FoliageDude30

NORTHERN VERMONT AND NORTH EAST VERMONT FOR FOLIAGE

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Hello. I have been going to Stowe for a number of years now. and I am wanting to explore northern and north eastern Vermont. Any ideas as to what towns are good to stay in that would be similar to the Stowe atmosphere, meaning close to restaurants and plenty of lodging?? Any thoughts as to any good places to stay in Northern and North Eastern VT?

Rockwall Tim

Re: NORTHERN VERMONT AND NORTH EAST VERMONT FOR FOLIAGE

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Several times, I've operated with St. Johnsbury as my base for foliage trips. You might inquire of the Fairbanks Inn there...there may not be any vacancies during the foliage season. The town has a couple of reliable eating places.
II Cor. 4:17

faxmachineanthem

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:00 pm

I agree that there is no Stowe in the northeast kingdom, or anything close to that. However I think you should still go. I do think it has the best scenery in Vermont and I love the rural feel. The dining won't compare to Stowe but you can still eat well if you do research before heading up there. Junipers at the Wildflower Inn in Lyndonville is very good. St Johnsbury is the biggest city, but it's not quaint.

pwt54

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:28 am

The Northeast Kingdom is a whole different world. There are more restuarants in Stowe than the whole Northeast Kingdom. Lodging is limited in most of the area. You will find motels in St. Johnsbury- Lyndonville and the Newport- Derby areas. You will find lodging at Jay Peak. It has a main lodge and condos. Dining is limited, but very good. the same applies to the Burke Mountain Ski area. There are quite a few Inns and B&Bs in the area. The Northeast Kingdom will take more research than the rest of the State, but it is worth it. Another thing to consider is that the Northeast changes color earlier than Stowe, so plan on coming up during the last week of September or the first week of october for the best color. My first choice would be the St. Johnsbury-Lyndonville area, which includes the Burke Mtn. Ski Area. The Wildflower Inn was mentioned to you. It's not cheap, but if you can afford it, I recommend it. My second choice would be the Jay Peak Ski Resort. ( if you do stay at Jay Peak, ask them about the Hidden Country Restuarant just down the road from them.)

Utah Baker

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:43 am

We have stayed twice at the Newport City Motel, not fancey, but clean and comfortable, I remember the beds had nice down comforters. We also had several meals at the Eastside Restaurant and Pub which was very good, and a fun little gift shop and bakery.

faxmachineanthem

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:32 am

There are also lots of nice cottages, cabins, and homes available for rent. The value you get I've found is pretty good compared to peak season rates at motels/B&B's. Homeaway and VRBO are good places to look as well as the scenes of vermont rental section http://vacationrentals.scenesofvermont.com/. Many places do have a full week minimum, however. Just gotta be careful to make sure they've got decent heating at this time of the year. :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:46 am

The Wildflower Inn is indeed a great place to eat. We stayed there at the inn and had dinner each night which was delicious.

Phil, Al and I ate at the Bee's Knees in Morrisville two seasons ago and I enjoyed it. It is very eclectic and has entertainment as well. It's pretty remote up there in the NEK so you have to drive for a bit to find a place to eat. There is a cute cafe/bakery in North Hyde Park but the name escapes me. And it closes early too! :lol:

http://www.thebeesknees-vt.com/