Vermont Photos

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

lirwin13

Vermont Photos

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Here are a few photos from the last couple of weekends in Vermont. Despite the lack of color in some areas, there was still plenty to photograph!
Kirby Mtn. Road barn just off Rte. 2:

Kettle Pond in Groton State Forest:

Foggy Morning in St. Johnsbury - at end of exit 1 off ramp from 93N:

Top of the Bennington Monument looking south:

Farm along Rte. 35 between Grafton and Chester:

Farm along Rte. 7A north of Shaftsbury:

Views from Carpenter Hill Road just south of Bennington off Rte. 7:

Thanks to the many contributors to this board who suggest such great driving routes around Vermont! Despite changing weather and colors, it's always a treat to be in Vermont in the fall!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:57 pm

Laura: Beautiful photos! So glad you got to Carpenter Hill! That's one of my favorite spots thanks to Charles. Also, I went up to the top of the Bennington Monument at our pre-season meetup and the views were outstanding. What a clear day you had! Loved the farm scene between Grafton and Chester! Thanks for sharing these stunning pictures!

lirwin13

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:19 pm

Thank you! If you go to Carpenter Hill, I imagine the views would be even more breathtaking starting from North Pownal Road on the south end. Once you go over the crest of the hill, the views would just open up. I started from the north end, and had to constantly check the rear view mirror to see the views.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Laura: You are exactly right. Thanks to Charles' directions we came up 22 in NY state and turned on route 346 I think it was, to North Pownal Road. We were there in summer for the pre-season meetup, not foliage season, but the views were WOW WOW WOW. All I could think of was how gorgeous it would be in the fall!

I thought North Pownal was torn up? Thinking of coming up for the day to Bennington in 2 weeks.

bm: you should go or maybe better meet me there soon!

lirwin13

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:00 pm

It did look like they were doing some work on North Pownal Rd., but it was passable when I was there. I'm sure there would still be some good color in the Bennington area in the next couple of weeks. There was still a good amount of green this past weekend.

ixl

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:36 am

Very nice photos, Laura.

lirwin13 wrote:Thank you! If you go to Carpenter Hill, I imagine the views would be even more breathtaking starting from North Pownal Road on the south end. Once you go over the crest of the hill, the views would just open up.
Does seem like that would be the case, but not really. :) There are more apple trees up there, and a couple of spots where you can get a distant view.. but believe it or not, the area where you were is the best part of that road.
lirwin13 wrote: I started from the north end, and had to constantly check the rear view mirror to see the views.
Drive up, drive down. :)
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

faxmachineanthem

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Very nice shots Laura. I especially like the shot of the pond with the dark clouds. I love it when you have those dark clouds in the background, but with the sun breaking through to light up the foreground. That really creates dramatic lighting.