Impressions of the 2010 Foliage Season Thus Far

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Impressions of the 2010 Foliage Season Thus Far

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:55 am

In my own opinion, I think this is a "split season". The concensus upon speaking with those living in VT and across NE for the most part, is that foliage season came a week early. Trees turned early and many of us regulars may have missed the peak in our favorite sections by a week. The rain/wind storm was unfortunate but not in anyone's control obviously.

However, there are still many trees yet to turn or are still in mid stage in various areas. There is still spotty beautiful color around in the north but you have to drive around the backroads to find this in areas that may have previously been reported as being turned!

My "personal" feeling just driving around the northern tiers is that there is a second coming of turning leaves to be found. We were surprised to find gorgeous color in areas reported to have gone past peak!

Don't give up! There is more to come and reports of color will come in this forum as folks continue to take their excursions and locals report in as well.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by ctyanky on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:05 am

I am going out on a limb to rate this season so far, Thursday, October 7th.

I am giving the 2010 fall season a 7.5.

Here are my reasons: Because the foliage started a week early, some of us missed peak in our favorite spots and "our" vacation timing was off a bit. The rains and wind on many days hampered viewing and travel for many. I do think the color was there and this could have been a 9 season.

It is unfortunate that many leaves were lost and the rain was relentless on 3 days so far.

HOWEVER, I gave an extra .5 because the colors that we saw in some of our peak areas were magnificent. Also, there is beautiful color potential emerging in the Champlain area and in bm's neck of the woods. I am not familiar with the southern area yet which we are hitting all day on Friday.

I am sticking to my guns and expect a second coming of foliage in what I would call the "split season of 2010". I hope everyone coming up for the Columbus Day Weekend finds some great color and great weather!!!!

I am still optimistic and keep my fingers crossed for all of you still venturing up to God's country! Enjoy!

BostonRott

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:11 am

I can't wait for your Southern report, as I'm roughly planning that for Saturday! :D
Gretchen

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:45 am

Boston: These are the towns I am going to with Phil and bm tomorrow, somewhat more southern and west than I've been thus far:

Pawlet
Rupert
Middletown Springs
Tinmouth
Wells
Poultney
Wallingford
Danby

Will make a report on these areas with Phil tomorrow night, Friday.

Charles: If you are reading this, can you join us please?????

BostonRott

Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:12 am

Wonderful!!!! I figured I'd head north first, to catch it before it goes, then check the south. Those are many of the towns I've looked at, can't wait to see your report! :D
Gretchen

Srikar

Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:15 am

During my limited experience with fall foliage, I feel this year was the most disappointing. I was here in New England during fall in 2007,2008, 2009 and 2010. 2010 was surely the most disappointing. 2008 was the best year in my personal opinion :(

lirwin13

Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:40 pm

CT: I, too, am looking forward to your southern report. I'm heading to Bennington for the next 3 nights, hoping to do eastern VT Saturday (Ludlow/Chester/Grafton/etc.) and western VT Sunday (Manchester/Arlington/Danby/etc.) before heading to (gasp!) western MA on Monday. I'll look forward to your report, because this will be my first time in the area as well.

faxmachineanthem

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:40 pm

Last year it seemed the NEK was the best place to see foliage in Vermont. This year it sounds like it's elsewhere.

Driving around the Lyndonville area Saturday morning, assessing the damage from the storm, I was very disappointed. Thought I wasn't going to get any good photos and that the storm had destroyed the foliage season. However, like ct mentioned, even in the NEK there were pockets of good color. The Barton and Willoughby area fared much better. It wasn't as good as early October last year in the NEK, which I thought was incredible, but still very nice in areas.

I agree that the Montpelier area was in very rough shape. The western part of the state looks promising. I don't think the storm affected that too much since it's later to turn. All in all, I think the Columbus day weekenders may fare well this year if they go to the right places.

DJinVT

Split Season

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:58 pm

I was out in Central/Soouthern Vermont on Tuesday (10/5) and this is a bit of what I saw:

A lot of yellow/brown, and a lot of green. The optimists will hope for the green leaves to turn orange or red... the pesimists will assume that since the first half of the season produced yellow/brown, so will the second half!

Either way, its a fantastic opportunity for photography and sight-seeing. Get out there !

The first photo is from Emerald Lake: http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/emerald.htm

Its the perfect example of what ctyankee is talking about. Bare trees on the ridges... green leaves below. This is mostly what I saw on Tues. and continute to see (I live in the Rutland area).

The second image is from the top of Mt. Tabor drive http://goo.gl/maps/pqOw

Lots of yellow Sugar Maple leaves that normally would be orange... and lots of them still green.

Make the best of what's there. I had a great time shooting the falls and rocks in the stream and focusing on the small details. Something we often don't get to do in years when the color is 60's-worthy psychedelia !

Safe travels all,
dj

pwt54

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:23 pm

It's been a tough year for us foliage lovers. There were areas of great color but you had to work hard to find them. The area between Craftsbury and Albany was great this year. The foothills of the northern Champlain Valley between Hinesburg and Ripton looked very good today. The mountainsides in that same area were almost bare. The Pleasant Valley Road between Cambridge and Underhill still has good color and the Oak Trees there are looking good this year. It's strange, on route 15 in Cambridge there is little color, but you go about a mile on the Lower Pleasant Valley Road and there is a lot of color. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Middletown Springs area for tomorrow.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:06 am

Phil: I hope this area we are going to today is not too early but it's ok as you have previously described the whole region as quite beautiful and I am so excited!

A new area to explore for me and I am chomping at the bit!!!!!!!

bvahjen

Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:10 pm

CT we will be interested to see what you think of Rupert and that area. We were at the Myrck forest in august and all I could think is how great it wil look in fall.

pwt54

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:55 am

We had a great time down there.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:33 pm

bvahjen: I loved the area down there! Color early in a lot of areas but pockets of nice color all along our drive. I have never been to any of these towns except Danby.

Here are the towns we visited:

Pawlet, Rupert: beautiful! Passed the Merck Forest, want to go next year!
Middletown Springs: loved it, great inns and places to eat! gorgeous area!
Tinmouth, Wells, Wallingford: Lots of great back roads thanks to Phil!
Poultney: East Poultney, gorgeous and quaint, may stay there next year!
Danby: incredible area to tool around in.
Castleton: added this the last minute. Loved the town and all it has to offer! Riding stables here!