PS CS5 Content Aware Healing

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

brandtb

PS CS5 Content Aware Healing

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm

I had to break down recently to upgrade to PS CS5 - and just went through a tutorial on the Content Aware Healing feature which at first look - seems like it could be a really powerful update to a familiar tool! This along with Content Aware Fill - makes CS5 worth the coins imo. No this is not a paid announcement - just some friendly chat from someone who has taken how many wires out of photographs? 100s? 1000's? Lynda.com's Jan Kabili has some good tutorials on the release.

Andy

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:03 am

Brandt: Strongly second that. Think I may have said that same thing somewhere on some forum :D . To me the content aware fill is worth the $ to upgrade. Just finished reading a book on CS5 and what's new. I'll be doing a blog on it in the relatively near future. There are some pretty cool new tools buried in the release that are an added bonus.

I am going to the link you suggested right now!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

brandtb

Lynda.com

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:13 am

Content aware fill is pretty darn great. I've been using Lynda.com for a number of years now for tutorials on a dozen or so different software apps. - they offer hundreds. Pretty great service and cost effective - some presenters aren't so good like for Premierie Pro but that is rare - but by and large all really good. And for PS - Deke McClelland is THE BEST imo. on Lynda. If you've never checked out Russell Brown - he offers free tutorials at link below...and his tutorials about complex masking are excellent...check out the one "Advanced Masking - Old Stuff That's New" all the way at bottom if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

brandtb

Russell Brown CS5 Content Aware

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:20 am

I just saw Russell Brown has some CS5 content aware tutorials - he has some good "killer tips" on content aware spot healing

BostonRott

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:02 pm

That is the major draw for me to CS5 as well. I'm still running CS3 currently, and debating on not upgrading until I upgrade my PC. It's a 4yr old system, I've upgraded the memory and HDD myself. I can easily run a multi-layer project in CS3 while also playing in Lightroom2. My big concern is that I've heard from many that if you're not 64bit, with a 'big' powerful system, content aware fill is ruthlessly slow, and sometimes even fails. Any comments?

My current PC is still on XP, b/c there were a lot of driver issues between Win7 and my printer, so I'll leave it at XP.
Gretchen

brandtb

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 pm

I run 4 Gb ram/32 bit PC...with PS CS5 - and there are not supposed to be any issues as PS CS5 is "32 bit compatible". That said, I have noticed that when using content aware fill...sometimes error message pops up saying memory too low - and won't complete task....then I'll change selection somewhat and it will complete. I don't know if this is just CS5 being "buggy"or not...I haven't used the tool enough yet. Will post when get more time in using it.

Andy

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:02 am

I am running 32 bit Windows XP Professional -- I am pretty sure I only have 2G of ram. Haven't had any problems with content aware or CS5.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

BostonRott

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:31 am

Andy wrote:I am running 32 bit Windows XP Professional -- I am pretty sure I only have 2G of ram. Haven't had any problems with content aware or CS5.
That's fantastic!!! I'm using XP Home Media, and did install up to 4Gb of RAM, even though I know a 32 bit system can't use all of it. Sounds like there is hope yet, thank you Andy! :)
Gretchen